X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • egaither
    • Apr 2004

1098 max volume

I just purchased a 1090 to use for my mains (RF-7s) to go with my 1095 and 1098. I would like to limit my volume control but am not sure what I should set it to. On my yamaha rx-v1400 I could use a formula to calculate how many watts I was sending to my speakers based on the number presented on the screen. Any idea what the 0-100 numbers represent for volume control on the 1098? I purchased the amp because of the dampening and control not really to send 380W continuously to my speakers.
  • Bam!
    Super Senior Member
    • Jan 2004

WOW great question......if there is an answer.....can I have the same for the 1056 ?
    Got a nice rack to show me ?

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Calculating wattage isn't really going to do you any good anyway since it will depend on a number of factors ranging from the sensetivity of your speakers, room acoustics, distance to the speakers, amp gain, speaker wire length and guage, and a host of other factors. If you like I'd simply turn up the volume to the max you'd ever listen to the system and set it to that level...chances are it will still be a pretty safe level unless you're hard of hearing or just plain crazy Your speakers will very likely be just fine with receiving what ever current the amps can generate as it will only be a momentary spike and will be a clean sine wave...a low powered amp pushed to clipping will cause serious damage though even though the volume levels may not be as loud as with the more powerful amplifer. Also for what its worth a typical speaker rated around 88dB/1 watt is typically getting under 15 watts even most of the time even during fairly loud passages...its only the huge explosions or canon fire in the 1812 overture that will cause your amp to provide more then that.

Comment

• egaither
        • Apr 2004

I kind of figured this would be the response I would receive. It would be just nice to know. Am I crazy:twisted:...sometimes I can hardly contain myself and I'll crank it up to 80 but that is pretty much as high as I have gone. This is with my 1095. Shouldn't be much different with the 1090—can't wait for it to get here.

Running the test tones with all speakers set to 75db...volume level is 66. Current speaker configuration is RF-7s(102db sensitivity), RS-7s and RC-7 (all 98db sensitivity). Room is a great room roughly 13x24'. Listening position is roughly 9' away.

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"