X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rosros
    • Feb 2004

Upgrading;Differences 1066/1068/1098

The Rotel web site is updated to include the 1066 replacement, the 1068. They also have the 1068 manual online. Having both 1098 and 1066 inhouse (wished the 1068 was here), I compared features, sound and the manuals for the 1098 to the 1068 to the 1066; here are the differences: Note I own the 1066 with upgrade privileges to either the 1068 or 1098. Anyone with the 1068 I would appreciate comments.

Between the 1066 and 1068:

1.processor appears to be upgraded to the same as the 1098; more power to do more tweaking. DAC seems to be the same as the 1098
    2.you can change the contour (bass/treble) per speaker rather than just the master setting
    3.you can change the crossover per speaker rather than just one master setting for all
    4.you can now configure different speaker size per source (DD,DTS,Stereo,Music)
    5.sub setup to include DPLII bass adj
    6.DPLIIx
    7.speaker delay is automatically calculated by entering in feet from listening position
    8.have the option to turn on volume at last setting
    9.able to set max volume levels
    10.able to control volume speed
    11.24/192 DAC
    12.upconversion composite/svideo to component
    13.includes DTS 96/24 CD music

Between the 1668 to the 1098

1.7inch widescreen video monitor built in
    2.Much more robust and cleaner power supply (tordial)
    3.mother/daughter board configuration to separate digital/power/analog/video---hardware upgradable?
    4.4 component switiching
    5.8 digital inputs

Sonically, I found the 1066 to have a very smooth, laid back trait. This preamp is very quiet. This is in contrast to the more sharper/analytical sound of the Sony TAE 9000. The sound of the 1066 is very appealing, but ultimately I long for a more forward/detail sound.

The 1098 took care of that. As soon as the 1098 was hooked up, the sound rewards was immediate. More detail, more airy, more forward than the 1066, yet maintain the 1066 smoothness. The center channel was more clear and intelligible; by contrast the 1066 seem muffled. I suspect the better DAC and better circuitry layout was the cause. The 1098 did add a slight hum to my surrounds, have to hunt down the source. I am also somewhat concern with the mother/daughter board layout. I understand this setup has positives such as separating out power/digital/analog/video to lessen interferences, but there are negatives such as increased noise and more jitter(caused by additional connectors in line). One review showed noise levels 5db above theoretical and jitter at 1800ps! The reviewer did note that this was not noticable in the listening test. But noise/jitter does decrease resolution/clarity.

In summary, the 1068 has closed the gap with the 1098. For roughly the same street price as the 1066, there are enough significant addl features to warrant moving upwards. If the 1068 with its new DAC and upgraded processor sound as good as the 1098, no need to pay the $1200 difference for basically the LCD monitor. Rotel will have to raise the bar on the 1098 to justify the price differential (hmdi, parametic eq, auto speaker setup, etc). Now if only I can get my hands on a 1068 before the 1098 loaner goes back.....
  • dali
    • Jul 2002

rosros,

Good job on the comparison! I was contemplating upgrading my RSP1066 to a 1068 but didn't know what had changed. A lot of stuff on my wish list are there; contour settings, different speaker size settings for different materials, crossover per speaker and of course DPLIIx.

The 1068 certainly looks sweet ...

Comment

• nash
      • Mar 2004

Originally posted by rosros
      8.have the option to turn on volume at last setting
      What does "8.have the option to turn on volume at last setting" mean?

One of the main features I think my 1066 lacks is saving volume levels between inputs. In other words, I listen to DVDs louder than my TV or XBox. I'd be great if the processor saved the different volume levels for different inputs (this is a feature even el-cheapo receivers have). Is this what 8 is referring to?

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
        Super Senior Member
        • Oct 2003

Nash,

What does "8.have the option to turn on volume at last setting" mean?

One of the main features I think my 1066 lacks is saving volume levels between inputs. In other words, I listen to DVDs louder than my TV or XBox. I'd be great if the processor saved the different volume levels for different inputs (this is a feature even el-cheapo receivers have). Is this what 8 is referring to?

This point is referring to a option where the RSP-1068 (and RSX-1067/RSP-1098 ) all allow the user to specify whether the volume they turn on at is at a default value (set by you) or at the last setting before they were turned off.

In terms of your request to have "different volume levels for different inputs " - In the Club Rotel RSP-1098/68 etc Wish List we have a request to be able to normalise the master volume level by source (i.e. adjust the gain for a source up and down). The intention of this is to meet a popular request from many users to be able to adjust the relative gain on the processor so that different sources all have the same volume. However this feature (when implemented by Rotel ) could equally meet your need. I am familiar with a number of receivers with this feature and I suspect that this is what you mean?

Geoff

Comment

• nash
          • Mar 2004

On my old JVC receiver, it would remember the volume (as well as subwoofer gain, etc) for each input source. For instance, if i watch a DVD at "50" volume with subwoofer at +0, and last listened to my cd changer at 45 volume with subwoofer +3, then when I hit the CD changer input button, the receiver will switch to 45/+3. If I switch back to DVD, it goes back to 50/+0. JVC calls this "one touch operation", and it can be turned off. This is similar to the feature you are requesting in the wish list. I personally finding myself turning the volume up for DD/DTS sources (HDTV/DVD) compared to regular stereo TV, so it would be nice for my processor to remember that fact for me.

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
            Super Senior Member
            • Oct 2003

nash,

I'll add it as an option to the next version of the Wish List.

You can get the bass effect now by controlling the sub level by signal type (e.g. DD vs stereo vs DTS - but not the volume.

Geoff

Comment

• hamiltong
              • Feb 2003

I was under the impression that the RSP-1068 also has toroidal transformers. -gh

Comment

• hamiltong
                • Feb 2003

double post . sorry. -gh

Comment

• Ron Reda
                  • Jan 2003

Dang it...I helped a buddy of mine install his 57" Hitachi TV over the weekend and was bitten by the upgrade bug. For some reason, his modest system (an H/K receiver powering Dahlquist fronts and JBL for the other 3 channels) sounded so much more extended and detailed than my system which has a Rotel 1066 as the brains running a stereo amp for the fronts and monoblocks for the other 5 channels. I just couldn't understand it. From what I read, his receiver has 192kHz DACs, but the 1066 only has 96kHz DACs. Could that be one of the reasons? If so, I'm planning on selling my 1066 and checking out the 1068!

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Oct 2003

Ron Reda,

Your question is impossible to deal fairly with on it's own the "so much more extended and detailed" is (in my experience) unlikely to be the RSP-1066 vs the receiver, and more likely to be something like:
                    • Room acoustics
                    • Speaker characteristics (they vary hugely
                    • Source material
                    • Volume level
                    • System calibration and set-up

Take your RSP-1066 over to his house and try it. There is nothing like listening

Geoff

Comment

• Ron Reda
                      • Jan 2003

Aussie Geoff,

Point well taken. I think I posted out of frustration given how much time, effort and money I have put into my system! However, the only things it could be are room acoustics and speaker characteristics as I own the same DVD we watched that day and I set up and calibrated his system. Perhaps his Dahlquists lean more towards the bright side of the spectrum vs. my Axioms and the combination of the speakers and the receiver (with 192kHz DACs) provide more detail and high frequency extension?

Comment

• Greg K
                        • Jul 2003

Ron..........
                        I dont know if will help any... :? but....., I had an HK AVR 520 before my Rotel stuff,and I was fighting a problem with treble being a little extreme on quite a few of my CD's.I swapped cables,tried different CD/DVD players nothing helped.When I upgraded to the Rotel 1055. It smoothed out the upper end so that is was no longer "painfull".Just my experience with Rotel VS HK.

Greg

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"