X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • miagi
    • May 2004

RDV1050 and problem with "spikes" on the 220v

I´m having a VERY annoing problem using the RDV1050 DVD. -Whenever I (or my neighbour for that matter) switch the light on/off in my/his apartment (or my refrigiator turns on/off), the sound dissapear shortly, as if the RDV1050 loses sync (Via coax) to the RSP1068... it does not affect the picture at all.

I have for testing purpose, replaced the RDV1050 with my old panasonic dvd, and then the problem is gone.

Im thinking, that the problem must be a fault in the Main´s 220v filter.....anyone with a better idea ??

I have contacted my local dealer, but he just claims, that it´s a "normal" thing, and that there is absolutely nothing he can do ???

I can still return the player to the store, and buy another brand, but besides this little problem, im very satisfied with the overall performence of the Rotel RDV1050.

What do i do ?? - Is it a known bug ??
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

I don't recall anyone else posting about a similar problem so one, I don't think it's common. Two it's definately not "normal". I'm no electrician but there's a chance there's problem with your homes electricity that the 1050 happens to be more succeptable to. Hopefully some of the more technically astute can offer more help in that area...

Other than that I'd email Rotel tech-support and see if they know of any issues or what might be causing it and see if they can offer any solutions.

Jason
    Jason

Comment

• Azeke
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2003

I've not heard of that kind of issue before either. Just a quick thought you might what to try a voltage stabilzer of some kind.

Regards,

Azeke

Comment

• aud19
        Twin Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2003

This thread might be of some assistance.

Jason
        Jason

Comment

• miagi
          • May 2004

Thanks for the reply´s.

I would really hate to be forced to spend extra money on a main´s filter, sinces this obviously can be sorted in the player...i have no problem what so ever, when i hook up my old panasonic a360.
          So i really hope this is only an issue with this single unit..... think i will go to the store tomorrow and ask him to change it with a new one.

I will let you know how it works out.

Regards /Miagi

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
            Super Senior Member
            • Oct 2003

miagi,

Also - it may not just be the RDV-1050 on it's own. Consider this the Coax connection you have between the RDV-1050 and the RSP-1068 can conduct electricity on the earth etc. If there are any ground differences between the RDV-1050 and the RSP-1068 then it could be the RSP-1068 that is skipping the signal etc with the lights (e.g. small pulse of electricity travelling over the coax between the RDV and the RSP...

I was getting this 1 second cut-out from my RSP-1098 and any digital source (I have 3 coax connected devices) when I turned a light on and off in the same room (even though the lights are on separate mains phase and circuit). So - if you get the problem with a new unit - I'd try a mains filter on both the RSP and RDV - worked for me and they are good for the life of your equipment too...

Geoff
            Last edited by Aussie Geoff; 24 June 2004, 19:51 Thursday.

Comment

• miagi
              • May 2004

Thanks Geoff.

No doubt that i will consider using a mains filter, if the new rdv1050 turns out to have the same issue.
              But i still don´t get why there is no problem, when i connect my old Panasonic dvd player (Using the same coax & power cable). - I would expect the problem to be consistent, had it been af groundloop problem.

I will keep you guys posted...and thanks again for all the advise...this is a great forum

Regards /Miagi

Comment

• metallo
                • Sep 2004

Miagi,

I have the same problem as you, have you solved it yet och changed the dvd-player to another brand?

I have bought a monster cable filter "ht 800" something... but it doenst solve the problem when using coax, but it seems to work if i switch to optical.

/Daniel

Comment

• soundhound
                  • Mar 2004

Metallo and others, I noticed my RSX-1055, and RC-1070 are not supplied earth ground through their respective line cords, where-as my RMB-1075 is. If possible tie the chasis of the dvd/ pre-pro's common. If you have a multi meter you could see some resistance between the two I would bet. I have never worked on Rotel gear so am unsure of how much isolation from "common" ground they use in their circuitry but I would suspect with a meter, a little continuity checking, and an extra interconnect placed in the right place, some of these issues may be dealt with.

Comment

• GosonFletchy
                    • May 2004

Instead of a mains filter you can go cheaper and get a UPS. This would probably help as well.

G.

:grab:

Comment

• aarsoe
                      • May 2004

Miagi

I am taking a wild guess but I am guessing that you have one of the units "reversed" in the 220v power outlet.
                      Since most installations in Denmark (except the new ones, according to the new building code) are without ground, you can turn the phase by turning the power plug 180 degree's.
                      Easy way to know is to disconnect your Rotel DVD player from the rest of your gear, take a voltmeter and measure between the chassis and the shield on your coax connection.
                      If you have it the wrong way, there should be about 120V between the two points - if not there will be nothing.
                      If you dont have a voltmeter you can use one hand (NOT TWO) and hold the coax cable while touching the DVD player. You will clearly feel the current, if worngly connected.
                      DONT do this if you have a weak heart, but there is almost no amps, so its not likely to hurt you.

If this is unclear then drop me a line and I will explain in Danish..

Anders

Comment

• soundhound
                        • Mar 2004

A UPS does supply some amount of line filtering (for pc's they have to) but, they are primarily designed for line loss where they will maintain line voltage and allow proper shut down. To get one with a high enough current rating to handle some of gear that some of these systems are drawing one may be in the price range of a descent active line filter.

Comment

• metallo
                          • Sep 2004

I thought i should give you guys an update.

My problem with 1050 and 1068 loosing digital signal is solved! It was a ground issue, the problem vanished when i connected the projector to a seperate power outlet OR when i connected the component cable via 1068.

Happy again... :T

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"