X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Aubi
    • May 2007

110/220v

Is the JC-1 difficult to "convert" from 110V to 220V suply? Does it require replacement of any component? I'm thinking of buying a set second hand in the US, and bring them to Europe.
  • Peter Nielsen
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

You need a new fuse (American style 1/4'x1 1/4' 6A slow-blow) and you also need a Metric M4 screw (10-12mm long).

The changes needed are:

1) Replace the fuse on the back panel
    2) Move a jumper for the standby transformer to configure it for 230V THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT!
    3) Connect the primary windings of the main transformer in series instead of in parallell. (The M4 screw is needed for the unused terminal block that will hold the join of the two windings coupled in series).

WARNING #1: Do not forget to move the jumper!!! (I heard that someone did this and it resulted in smoke and fire. Probably the PCB and/or transformer were burnt. You will definitely damage the unit!)
    WARNING #2: Do not blindly trust the color coding of the wiring. I recommend using an ohm-meter to check this. However, a mistake here will not result in damage, assuming that the correct terminals are used. If the windings are incorrectly connected, the unit will simply appear dead (will not start up from standby).

Peter

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2004

Aubi,

You should also be aware that there is a problem with the factory JC-1 packaging boxes. You need to tell whoever is shipping them that both the inner and outer boxes need to be strapped with professional strapping tape.

The factory only straps the outer box, which results in that the amp can move inside the box. Out of my 10 amps, 4 had moved inside the inner box to the point that the inner box had marks from the rear handles of the amp. One of the amps was damaged and had a bashed-in rear panel! Jesse (another JC1 owner) recently told me that one of his new amps also suffered in shipping, so this *is* obviously a problem.

So, make sure the packaging is in good condition and that the inner box is TIGHTLY strapped so that the amplifier can't move around inside the box. The original straps should NOT be re-used. New strapping is a must for safe shipping! For international shipments, I also recommend that the boxes are wrapped in plastic wrap.

Peter

Comment

• Aubi
        • May 2007

Thank you!

Words can't tell how satisfied I am with this answer, and I'm confident that I can do it on my own. After all I have the user manual .

Comment

• Andy0217
          • Jun 2005

Hey Aubi,

Peter knows what he is talking about.

He did the voltage conversion on my A51 and A21 and shipped them to me in Australia doubled box using FedEx.

They are both performing flawlessly and I love them to pieces.

Thanks again Peter,

Cheers Andrew...

Comment

• Loffen
            • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Peter Nielsen
            You need a new fuse (American style 1/4'x1 1/4' 6A slow-blow) and you also need a Metric M4 screw (10-12mm long).

The changes needed are:

1) Replace the fuse on the back panel
            2) Move a jumper for the standby transformer to configure it for 230V THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT!
            3) Connect the primary windings of the main transformer in series instead of in parallell. (The M4 screw is needed for the unused terminal block that will hold the join of the two windings coupled in series).

WARNING #1: Do not forget to move the jumper!!! (I heard that someone did this and it resulted in smoke and fire. Probably the PCB and/or transformer were burnt. You will definitely damage the unit!)
            WARNING #2: Do not blindly trust the color coding of the wiring. I recommend using an ohm-meter to check this. However, a mistake here will not result in damage, assuming that the correct terminals are used. If the windings are incorrectly connected, the unit will simply appear dead (will not start up from standby).

Peter
            Hei Peter

Is there only one jumper ? or several and if so which one.

Which values are you looking for with the ohm meter ?

I guess that it will be pretty straight forward when you have the unit in front of you but I am still in the prosess of buying a set.

It would be great if someone could take a picture/closeup of the transformer and primary windings.

The Parasound agent here will not thouch any unit not sold by them,I guess that it is just an effort to keep up the high retail price.
            A set of JC1 will be 13000 USD the A21,A52 will set you back 4200 USD each..

Best regards

Espen

Comment

• Chris D
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Dec 2000

Where's "here", Espen? Inquiring minds want to know!
              CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
              - Pleasantville

Comment

• Loffen
                • Oct 2005

Hei Chris

I have sent you a PM

Espen

Comment

• hamtor
                  • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Chris D
                  Where's "here", Espen? Inquiring minds want to know!
                  He is from Norway.

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Loffen
                    Is there only one jumper ? or several and if so which one.
                    There is only one on the power distribution board. It is next to the standby transformer.

Which values are you looking for with the ohm meter ?
                    Check the windings. Infinite resistance/low resistance. No specific value. Closed circuit or open loop.

It would be great if someone could take a picture/closeup of the transformer and primary windings.
                    This won't help you any. Suffice to say that it's a regular toroidal transformer with two 115V primary windings. Put the two windings in series for 230V or in parallell for 115V.

You need a M4x10mm screw for the 3rd terminal where you join the two windings. Also remember to replace the 12A fuse on the rear panel with a 6A fuse.

Peter

Comment

• Chris D
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Dec 2000

Aha...
                      CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Loffen
                        • Oct 2005

Thank you Peter

for the great help,I hope I can help you back again one day.

Espen :P

Comment

• Aubi
                          • May 2007

I have a tracking number..............

Comment

• Chris D
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Dec 2000

Hey, Aubi! (sounds like the alleys of Turkey... they call out to you with that phrase all the time) Never did welcome you to the Guide and Club Parasound. :banana: Welcome!
                            CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Loffen
                              • Oct 2005

And I would allso like to thank Jesse and Peter (again) my JC1's are now on the way over the pond wired for 230v :T
                              I will also have a Zcustom ZHD soon so I guess my setup is near complete 8O

Here are the components :

Parasound :C2,D3,T3,A21,A52(JC1,ZHD),JBL: Ti10k,Ti6k,Ti2k,Tik Center,2 x Tik Subs,Nevo SL,Pioneer PDP 428xd (soon to be LX508d) and a Infocus 7210 (trying to find a good 1080p unit) Cables are mostly Kimber with the Trifocal XL on top.

Sorry for the bad picture of my rack, the JC1's will be on each side on the top shelf and the A21 in the middle,I do not know where I will put the center speaker yet ops:

And thanks to all for the good help on this forum.
                              Attached Files

Comment

• Chris D
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Dec 2000

Sweet... your pics bigger, now:

CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Aubi
                                  • May 2007

I'm a bit confused now. It's mine amps that is on their way over the pond at the moment. h:
                                  Besides that, does anyone know who the woman in the picture is. It's red Kristin. The norwegian minister of finances. 8O

Comment

• colinjohnson
                                    • Sep 2007

Seems there's a few Norwegians in the 'club', I'm in Oslo ( for my sins )...

Espen.. you scare me when you say 'The Parasound agent here will not touch any unit not sold by them'... do you mean NCMS at Høvik???

Comment

• hamtor
                                      • Sep 2004

Originally posted by colinjohnson

Espen.. you scare me when you say 'The Parasound agent here will not touch any unit not sold by them'... do you mean NCMS at Høvik???
                                      Yes, that is correct.

Comment

• Chris D
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Dec 2000

Hey, colin, welcome to the Guide and Club Parasound! :banana:
                                        CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• colinjohnson
                                          • Sep 2007

Thanks Chris

Hamtor,

I guess the question of availability of spare parts must be asked... How do you get spares... say an amp module blows.. scary thought..will NCMS get involved then???? Has anyone first hand experience of dealing with them?

Comment

• Aubi
                                            • May 2007

For my own part, I have accepted the fact that there will be no support from the local agent. It's a part of the thrill actually, that starts on friday when I open the boxes and find out if I've had amps or bricks .

Comment

• colinjohnson
                                              • Sep 2007

And I thought I was the only one taking risks with money

I hope you don't have bricks.....I hope you have beautiful amps that make beautiful sounds.
                                              Where did you buy from?? I would like to know more about who in the US will send Parasound to Europe.

Comment

• Aubi
                                                • May 2007

Why don't you rather buy my set of P1. I know you are an Arcamist .
                                                The JC-1 set is bought at Audiogon, from a nice guy in Canada. The price ends up far below half the retail price in Norway, and besides that I was fed up waiting for a second hand set to show up locally.

Comment

• hamtor
                                                  • Sep 2004

Thanks Chris

Hamtor,

I guess the question of availability of spare parts must be asked... How do you get spares... say an amp module blows.. scary thought..will NCMS get involved then???? Has anyone first hand experience of dealing with them?
                                                  I have been in contact with then regarding a "blown up" JC1, they told me to send it back to the US for repair, or sell it as scrapmetal.

Comment

• colinjohnson
                                                    • Sep 2007

Aubi,

Arcamist... good one..

I love their CD36 and the DV139 is pretty good.. But I'm not too struck on their amps. The sound is too shallow. I'll soon be selling my P90/3 but I'll keep my AVR300 as a preamp. Are you the one selling the P1s of Avforum.no? I've never heard the P1 but if it's only got 2 pairs of output devices like the P7 then I don't think it can be much good. Perhaps you've had the lid off.. perhaps you can tell me if the P1 really is only 2 pairs of Sanken SAP15N / P.

I'm a little scared about things Parasound going bang though.. You say it's all part of the thrill.. strange way of getting your kicks. :W

Hamtor,

What did you end up doing with a blown JC1? Did you fix it yourself? Or did you send it back for repair?

Comment

• hamtor
                                                      • Sep 2004

Hamtor,

What did you end up doing with a blown JC1? Did you fix it yourself? Or did you send it back for repair?
                                                      I have to fix it myself, it is almost done, I just need 18 beta-matched 15 amp, 60 MHz bipolar output transistors. And that is not easy to get here in
                                                      Norway. But I am working on it.

Comment

• colinjohnson
                                                        • Sep 2007

Hamtor, have you got schematics? I'm wondering if I could get the schematics for the A51 from anywhere.... I'd feel a lot happier if I had those. At least I'd stand a chance of fixing it if it does blow....

p.s. Good luck getting those transistors. Any ideas how close the beta matching needs to be?

Comment

• Aubi
                                                          • May 2007

I'm playing :T
                                                          The conversion was easy, and seems to be successful since there have been no smoke and fire so far, youst wonderfull sound.

Comment

• Aubi
                                                            • May 2007

Aubi,

Arcamist... good one..

I love their CD36 and the DV139 is pretty good.. But I'm not too struck on their amps. The sound is too shallow. I'll soon be selling my P90/3 but I'll keep my AVR300 as a preamp. Are you the one selling the P1s of Avforum.no? I've never heard the P1 but if it's only got 2 pairs of output devices like the P7 then I don't think it can be much good. Perhaps you've had the lid off.. perhaps you can tell me if the P1 really is only 2 pairs of Sanken SAP15N / P.
                                                            Since I have no idea of what you are talking about, I,ll mail you a pic of the inside of the P1.

Comment

• colinjohnson
                                                              • Sep 2007

That would be really good!

Comment

• hamtor
                                                                • Sep 2004

Hamtor, have you got schematics? I'm wondering if I could get the schematics for the A51 from anywhere.... I'd feel a lot happier if I had those. At least I'd stand a chance of fixing it if it does blow....

p.s. Good luck getting those transistors. Any ideas how close the beta matching needs to be?
                                                                I have the schematics for the JC1, not the A51, sorry.

Comment

• Aubi
                                                                  • May 2007

Small problem . One amp haven't got a bright blue indicator light at the on/off button when it's on. Only a week red red light, but it's playing like nothing has happened. Normaly this indicates that the protection circuits have activated, but it seems to me that this is only a blown diode. Am i wrong?
                                                                  No surprise really, since the outer boxes looked like they had been trough several eartquakes, and both amps had mooved inside the boxes

Comment

• colinjohnson
                                                                    Junior Member
                                                                    • Sep 2007

Aubi,

Looks like you could use Hamtors schematics...

Hamtor,

Where did you get the JC1 schematics? I could try to get the A51 from the same source.

Comment

• colinjohnson
                                                                      Junior Member
                                                                      • Sep 2007

Aubi.. Thanks for the pics... As I suspected.. the P1 has only 2 pairs of output transistors... The JC1 has how many.. .9 :T ..... that's why it will be so much better

Comment

• Aubi
                                                                        • May 2007

The P1 was once the amp of my dreams, and I still think it's a good amp. It can't compare to the one I've got now, but then I suppose not many others can. Especially when it comes to heating. My living room does not need mutch more heating after this, and that's in low bias.

Comment

• hamtor
                                                                          Member
                                                                          • Sep 2004

Aubi,

Looks like you could use Hamtors schematics...

Hamtor,

Where did you get the JC1 schematics? I could try to get the A51 from the same source.
                                                                          At the moment that is not possible, the man has disapaired. I have tried to
                                                                          get in contact with him for months without any luck.

Comment

• Loffen
                                                                            Member
                                                                            • Oct 2005
                                                                            • 53

Originally posted by Aubi
                                                                            I'm a bit confused now. It's mine amps that is on their way over the pond at the moment. h:
                                                                            Besides that, does anyone know who the woman in the picture is. It's red Kristin. The norwegian minister of finances. 8O
                                                                            Shoot... I did not think that anyone would figure out my little joke so soon :T

She is one of the reasons why the Norwegians here is so keen on importing stuff 8O

Comment

• Loffen
                                                                              Member
                                                                              • Oct 2005
                                                                              • 53

#39

To say it this way,there is no reason for you to contact them :W

Comment

• Loffen
                                                                                Member
                                                                                • Oct 2005
                                                                                • 53

#40
                                                                                Originally posted by Aubi
                                                                                I'm playing :T
                                                                                The conversion was easy, and seems to be successful since there have been no smoke and fire so far, youst wonderfull sound.
                                                                                We NEED pics of your setup man....

Usually no smoke and fire with the Parasound,but I used to have a HK receiver once.... :lol:

Comment

Working...
                                                                                Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                Search Result for "|||"