X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JRambo
    • Jun 2004

rsx1067 vs rsp1068/rb993/rb985mkII

Hi, I recently read in a home-theater magazine that the Rotel rsx1067 was their first choice in the heavy-receiver class.. How will this receiver compare to a setup with rsp1068, rb993 and rb985mkII, when it comes to sound quality, as the price for these two setups will be about the same..
  • Aussie Geoff
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2003

Take the RSP-1068 and separate amps - flexibility and sound

JRambo,

I'd take the RSP-1068 and the amplifiers. The RSX-1067 and RSP-1068 have the same basic firmware and digital processors etc - though some ports (power-suppliers etc) are different. However using the separate amplifiers mean that you can upgrade either the amplifiers or the processor in the future as needs arise without loosing the benefit of the other.

Also you will get a little higher quality sound and power from the separate amplifiers. Basically the RSX-1067 is 100w a channel. The RB993 is 200w per channel for 3 channels - twice the RSX and much closer to the RB-1080 that many of us love for stereo.... That gives you a perfectly matched front three speakers for your front sound stage. Now the RB985 II is 100w per channel - still a match for the RSX-1067.

Geoff

Comment

• eelco74
      • Dec 2002

I agree with geoff, the RB993 is an absolute stunner as an amp. The 1068 combo wil give you the best sound, as well as the upgrade felxibility...
      Marantz AV8802, Marantz UD8002, Rotel RB-991 and RB985mkii, Rotel RD960
      Focal/Jmlab Electra 1028S, Electra CC, Electra SW1000S, Cobalt 705
      Pioneer KRL-37V, Epson EH-TW8100, Kinkping CES-180 77"inch

Comment

• JRambo
        • Jun 2004

I'll go for the 1068 then..

I also have noticed there are two versions of the rb993. One is thx verified and the other is not. Anyone know the difference between these two?

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
          Super Senior Member
          • Oct 2003

THX Certified is the newer build

Hi,

The THX version as the slightly newer model / build date - Rotel had paid for the assessment by THX and had to wait for the approval - but the diferences are just normal Rotel model running changes - specs are the same. So the early ones didn't have the logo. If it is the same price - take the THX one (being newer) - but if there is a big saving - you won't hear the difference for the non THX version...

Geoff

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"