Upgrading from B&K AVR307 to RSX1067 worth it?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dmantis
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jun 2004

Upgrading from B&K AVR307 to RSX1067 worth it?

Ok,
    Let me start out by saying I loved the rsx1065 and the combo of the rsp1066 and rmb1075. I own a B&K avr307 and thinking of coming back to Rotel. The rsx1067 caught my eye as did the rsp1067. Seperates would be the way to go a but the rsx1067 is so good in my opnion that I would consider owning it as well.

What is the opnion of the rsx1067? I'm running Polk Lsi series speakers but I'm upgrading to Dynaudio Audience in the near future.

Reason I'm posting this as I haven't been around Rotel in awhile. I haven't heard the rsx1067 go but if it's lke the 1065 then I'm sure it will be killer. Seperates are in my path but I'd rather use the extra money to buy a new sub (Rel Storm III or the new 5).
  • Arnold van Oostrum
    • Sep 2002

Seperates always are better, but the RSX-1067 is very good. Choice depends on:
    - how big is your room and what are your speakers, to determine how much power is needed;
    - what are your future plans.

When seperates you seperate power from processing. That make's it easier to upgrade the processing in the futuren. With seperates both amplifiing and processing have their own powersource. But the power of the 1067 is huge, and if you don't have the urge to always have the latest surrounddecoding possibilities, it's a perfect (and for now cheaper) option.

Comment

• basementjack
      • Dec 2004

I had a 1065 at home and it just rocked. I only traded it in becuase I wanted the newer features of the 1056/1067/1068 line.

The 1067, with the 7 channels of amplification, and all the latest features, sound construction, etc.. is just amazing.

Personally, I really like the RDS tuner too.

Since you mentioned separates are down the road, I'll propose one more combo:

a 1056 receiver, used as a preamp, plus a 1075 - 5 channel amp.
      The cost is about the same as a 1067, and you are on your way to separates.
      Plus, having a dedicated 5 ch amp, you can experiment with biamping, which is something you can't do with the 1067. Both have the same features, use the same firmware, same inputs etc...

The good news is, no matter what combination you end up with, it's going to sound great!

Comment

• Dmantis
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jun 2004

I gotta hear the rsp1068 with the rmb1075 vs the rsx1067. They are very close in price. Anyone do the shootout?

Comment

• cmr15
          • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Dmantis
          I gotta hear the rsp1068 with the rmb1075 vs the rsx1067. They are very close in price. Anyone do the shootout?

They are not really that close in price once you add in good cables. You're looking at 5 sets of high quality rca's. Also, you are only getting 5 channels of amplification v. 7.

I too thought about getting the 1068/1075. I ended up with the 1067 and then took the left over money and put it toward a separate 2 channel system. I did listen to them both and thought for 2 channel the separates were better. I didn't really notice a difference with HT. For me, the 1067 made sense since I got the full 7.1 amplification and save some bucks (I figure around 8-9 hundred when you add in a used 2 channel amp to make the separates a true 7.1 system)

Craig

Comment

• Dmantis
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jun 2004

You make alot of good points. I am in fact going to run 7.1 once the baseent is finished. i would then need te rb1070 if in fact I went seperates. For 2 channel listening I could always use a rb1070 or rb1080 in front and leave the rest of the system running off the receivers amps.This setup wold save me some cash and I could apply it elsewhere as I want a completely new speaker package and a new sub.(Dynaudio and Rel)

Thanks,

Dan

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Dynaudio's really need power to shine properly so going with an outboard amp might be a better long term idea.

Comment

• Jraducha
                • Aug 2004

I have to agree with Mr. Pratt....The dyn product is a power hog..I have the audience 82s and the rotel 1067 and now wish i went with sperates..i do like my 1067 but wish it had some more power....i hooked my speakers up to a QSC amp the other day...and all i could say is what a difference..the qsc is like 300 watts...

Comment

• cmr15
                  • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Dmantis
                  You make alot of good points. I am in fact going to run 7.1 once the baseent is finished. i would then need te rb1070 if in fact I went seperates. For 2 channel listening I could always use a rb1070 or rb1080 in front and leave the rest of the system running off the receivers amps.This setup wold save me some cash and I could apply it elsewhere as I want a completely new speaker package and a new sub.(Dynaudio and Rel)

Thanks,

Dan
                  Dan,

Whatever you do, reconsider getting a rel sub if you listen to a lot of HT. My original HT set up was going to be front dyn 52se's, dyn center 122c, rel stratta III sub and b&w ccm65's for the rears and center backs.

I bought the whole set-up and was using it only for stereo since my den construction wasn't complete. I was thrilled with the Rel performance. Well... when I finally hooked it up for HT, major disappointment :M The Rel is too reserved for HT, WAY too reserved. Unless you get their series made for HT, you may be very unhappy. I would seriously consider other brands. BTW, the rels are a bit overpriced.

That said, for stereo the rel's are great. I ended up getting a musical fidelity x-150, xray v3 cd player and v3 tube buffer for a 2 channel setup. I'm using the 52se's and rel stratta with them.... sounds great.

For HT, I'm using the 1067, dyn 52 (non-se) for fronts, c122 center and the b&w in walls for surrounds. I didn't have much money left over, so I go an Outlaw sub. It's really pretty good for HT ... and cheap. I feel that the 1067 runs the above very well for HT.

Good luck... decisions, decisions :wink:
                  Craig

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"