X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • simonb68
    • Jan 2003

Opinions please on RB993 & 1055

Hi folks

I'm interested in opinions on whether an RB993 would a good upgrade and suitable match for a 1055, with Dynaudio Contour 1.1 mains, and hopefully Contour or 122 centre speaker soon (currently an old Mordaunt Short thing, got it cheap).

I want to improve my 2ch performance, and have been considering a better dedicated CD player (currently Primare V25 DVD player), an outboard DAC, a preamp, or power amp. What I am after is a bit more detail and more control, and am not sure what would be the best upgrade(s), would a power amp provide this, I'm thinking it might as the speakers are 4ohm, and power is always good for control.

There is a s/h 5 month old RB993 going for £500 on a UK forum, and I am tempted to get it, but would this make a suitable match for the 1055, is it OTT (200W), good value? Being s/h its obviously difficult to demo it, but I could immediately sell it on if I didn't want to keep it. One advantage is that as a 3ch amp it will improve the centre channel too I hope.

So any opinions welcome.

Thanks
    Simon
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Simon the power amp would help but honestly I'd seriously look at a much better CD player if 2 channel is what you're looking to upgrade.

Comment

• tominizer
      • Aug 2003

993 are impossibly hard to find on this side of the pond. I have a 991 (2-channel) and I've been looking for a long long time (with no luck) for a 933 so I can switch my Rotel 5 channel THX 985 out of the system. I'm looking for more power.............. naturally

Let's put it this way, I've seen many more Wanted ads for the Rotel 993 then ones for sale. If you don't like it or want it after buying it, I'm certain you could easily sell it................. like to me !!!!

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

tominizer don't forget the UK uses 220volt not our 120volt so you'd have to have it modified or buy a transformer...which would have questionable noise values I'd imagine

Comment

• simonb68
          • Jan 2003

Thanks for the thoughts guys, I must admit I was leaning towards a dedicated CD player, but this amp just seemed so tempting as it gets very good reviews, and would be surprised if I didn't hear a significant difference.

What I should really do is stop reading forums and save my money for a flat but I've got the upgrade bug

Comment

• Ijon_Tichy
            • Dec 2003

bump

Comment

• Amras
              • May 2003

I've had both.

The 993 is really an amazing amp- it took the 1055 to a whole new level- clear, powerful and open. I needed some cash so it had to go. Get it- you wont be dissapointed. 200 clean watts will do wonders.

Amras
              Take it easy... If it comes easy, Take it twice!
              Amras
              Take it easy... If it comes easy, Take it twice!

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"