X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ijon_Tichy
    • Dec 2003

RB985mkII or RMB1075 ?

I am looking to get an amp to take the load off my RSX1055.

I remember reading somewhere that some prefered the sound of the 985 over the 1075.

Can anyone provide their preferences/suggestions?

Also, if I am into 50/50 HT/music, but more critical about the music, should I go for one of these or something like the RB993 or a 2ch amp?
  • Gadgets
    • Dec 2003

Hi !

Well, i'm not much of an expert but i would say - forget about the two and get a decent 2 CH amp for your fronts, then you can just use your rsx-1055 for the surrounds or if you'r running 5 ch system maybe even bridge 4 ch. to your rear speakers & the 5th one to the center. I have a 5 ch carver amp. & i intend to buy another 2 ch amp & do exactly the same.

Enjoy !

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
      Super Senior Member
      • Oct 2003

Ijon,

It depends on whether you are (or ever) intend to go 7 channel and how much you listen to HT vs Stereo

If you plan to play 7 channel in the future (highly recommended if your room is a reasonable size!) and like the Rotel sound then I would go RMB 1075 now (it's a big step up from the 1055 and yould really hear the difference). Then I would add an RB-1080 for the front left and right when you are ready.

Why this way?
      1) The 1075 will make your stereo and surround better now and only costs a little more than the 1080.
      2) The 1080 will give you a further step up for Stereo quality when you go 7 channel.

If you do 2 channel 1st, then you will miss out on the clear benefits in surround quality which can be scarily good with a 1075.

I am basing this on your 50/50 music to HT mix. If you were only very rarely listening to HT (10%) and wanted the best possible stereo - then the 1080 or 985mkII now would be right.

Either way you will really notice the improvement from the 1055's amps.

Of course, later (once the upgrade bug really bites) you can then get a RSP-1068 and take the sound a whole stage further in quality

Geoff

Comment

• eelco74
        • Dec 2002

The 985MkII is an excellent amp. I found it a little less harsh on higher volumes than the 1075. But a used one should be around for $500.

I agree with the previous poster. For stereo the best upgrade is to add a RB1070 or 1080 for the front channels. Adding a 985MkII or 1075 makes the setup complete.

I use a RB-981 for the front channels and a RB-985MkII for the rest. The Denon 3801 is used as a processor, but will be replaced as soon as the RSP-1068 is available.

Marantz AV8802, Marantz UD8002, Rotel RB-991 and RB985mkii, Rotel RD960
        Focal/Jmlab Electra 1028S, Electra CC, Electra SW1000S, Cobalt 705
        Pioneer KRL-37V, Epson EH-TW8100, Kinkping CES-180 77"inch

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
          Super Senior Member
          • Oct 2003

Eelco,

Get that order in now for the RSP-1068 from your friendly dealer so you're first on the list when they arrive in February / March.

My friend had a Denon 3802 with the RSP 1075 and upgraded to the 1066 - an amazing difference, tranforming the sound of his HT and bringing strereo to 3 dimensionality at last. I also had the Denon 3802 with the Rotel Amps (1075 and 1080) and I replaced with a 1098 and got an even more "jaw dropping" effect. The best upgrade I have ever done..... ) - from a long long list of upgrades over 25 years....

(With your speakers you'll really notice the difference...)

Regards

Geoff Costello

Comment

• Ijon_Tichy
            • Dec 2003

eelco74,

Did you do an AB comparison between the 985 and 1075?
            If you had the choice, which would you choose?

I like the idea of having a 12volt trigger and a bit more power but before I choose I would like to hear more about differences between the two.

Comment

• eelco74
              • Dec 2002

Well, the arrival of the 1068 is not confirmed in Europe, so I cannot order one. I have a contact ar Rotel/B&W Netherlands (he used to work at my Audio dealer).

I know the 3801 is not thet great. I had a RC-972 pre-amp to match the RB-981. But when I bought the DVD-2900, I had to use the Denon as a pre-amp. The 5.1 input is not that bad, and surpisingly better than the CD input. Somehow the 5.1 input is more direct.

Anyway I was saving for a 1066, but it took me a bit longer to save the money. Now that the 1068 is on the way I have a few more month to save. And to sell the 3801 :-)

ps. I have been at the demo of the new JM-lab Utopia. Oh boy, they are awsome....if only they would not ask so mutch money for it :-)

Comment

• eelco74
                • Dec 2002

Ijon,

Yes, I had a new 1075 and a used 985MkII at home. Unless you drive them very loud, the difference to me is very little.

The problem is that the 1075 new price is higher than the 985 newprice.
                This makes a used 985MkII very interesting.

I found a 6 month old 985MkII for about $600. The 1075 is almost $1500. Remember prices in Europe are different than US.

My options were :

RSX-1055 ($2000) and RB-981 (my own)
                OR
                RSP-1066 ($1600) and a used 985 ($600) and my RB-981

This was easy to choose. The last one is only a few bucks more expensive, but a better option becaus of the seperates.

In a few years when we have Dolby AX/ES/8.1-3D, I can swap the processor and still keep the amps. They will last an eternity.

I

Comment

• Blue-Eyes
                  • Dec 2002

Hello,

someone mentioned the RB1070 instead of the RB985MKII.

I had both, used the 1070 for my fronts. After a while I bought new monoblocks for my fronts and sold my 1070. Because I had to wait for my new monoblocks I used the 985 for my fronts.

Wow..... I wonder why I ever used the 1070 for my fronts, the sound of the 985 was far more nice, smoother, more slam and control than the 1070. I never tested it, I supposed the 1070 was better. What a mistake!

My advice is never replace or buy a 1070 instead for a 985. Or buy the 985 or the 1080.The 1080 is far more better than the 1070.

Btw, I have JBL TIK10 as frontspeakers.

------------------------------------------------------
                  Never drive faster than your Angel can fly!
                  ------------------------------------------------------
                  Never drive faster than your Angel can fly!

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  😂
                  🥰
                  😘
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😞
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"