X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HookedOnTronics
    • Jun 2004

Rotel 1098 firmwaare upgrade nightmare

I've been trying to do a firmware upgrade to my Rotel 1098 for a while and keep running into the same problem; I can't input anything via HyperTerminal. Evertime I'm prompted to input 1, 2 , or 3, I cant type anything.

I'm using a PC running XP, however, I changed the compatability of HyperTerminal to 98 and have followed the directions to the letter.

Please guys, please help me!
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

which version of HyperTerminal are you running? Download the updated version and it should work better for you.

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
      Super Senior Member
      • Oct 2003

Hi,

The link you want is HERE for downloading a good hyperterminal for Windows XP

It is designed for Windows XP etc so you shouldn't run it in compatibility mode.

Also - check your settings very carefully for the Hyperterminal - do you have the Rotel Technical Support instructions covering things like:
      - 8 Data Bits
      - No Parity
      - 1 Stop Bit
      - VT100 Emulation
      - ASCII Recieving - Append Lines to Incoming Line Ends
      - ASCII Recieving - Wrap Lines
      If not let me know & I'll PM them to you

Geoff

Comment

• HookedOnTronics
        • Jun 2004

First off, let me say thanks for even respoding to my thread.

I am using the private edition version of hyperterminal and have checked and double-checked all the settings so they match the instructions. It all goes smoothly up until I am prompted to upload the new firmware. No keys work on the keyboard.

One thing that may have something to do with it is that I lost the original cable so I am using a different RJ45 to DB9 cable. I get feedback from the unit whenit prompts me to enter and number, so I don't think that would be the cause.

Thanks again for you help,
        Adam

Comment

• Marcel54
          • Jan 2004

I have the exact same problem. I run XP on my HP Desk and Lap Top and both are stopping at the same moment you described. I brought my 1098 to my dealer and the upgrade went smoothly. I've heard that my problem stems from my HP and not from Hyperterminal.

Marcel

Comment

• Kevin D
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Oct 2002

Adam,

The cable and connection is a simple RS232 interface. RS232 has three wires; transmit, receive, and Ground.

With a cable that has a different pinout, it is very possible that you have receive right, but not transmit. If so, it would behave exactly as you described.. I don't think there's an exact standard for RJ45 to DB9 cables, so it's very possible to have something different.

Get another cable and try again.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

There have been some issues with some PC's not wanting to work correctly in past but as the last poster said it could also be your cable. There's a document on the Rotel website that has the pin layout you'll need or else read This Link Here

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"