X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

New 1098 firmware issues..

Got the update installed with the eeprom4 file.. Everything's running fine........now.

First, make sure you default the settings. I didn't at first and when I went to play around with PLII game I couldn't get PLIIx to be a default option! It took a lot of messing around before I could even default it back to PLIIx.. Resetting the settings fixed all that.

Ok, problem one: 2.1.3 -> 2.1.4 states that they changed ProLogic II Emulation text to read Pro Logic.. On my 1098 I think it's displayed as PLIIx.. Try this out. Go to input setup, set default up for "Dolby PLIIx". Go to options at the bottom. You would expect the options to be CINEMA, MUSIC, GAME, and PRO LOGIC. Instead I get CINEMA, MUSIC, GAME, PLIIx. The first three are definitely PLIIx modes, and from the limited testing I did, the one labeled PLIIx sounds worse than the others so I imagine it is the correct Pro Logic, just labeled wrong.

Second, a major problem.. Something has changed with the RS232 string outputs. I'm probably one of the few who would notice this so it's more of letting Rotel know about it (I know they watch, but Andrew, you might want to forward this). The initial string feedback is the same, but about 1-2 seconds later, I'm getting like a 3-4 character string. It appears it might follow match when the OSD disappears, almost like an RS232 confirmation that the OSD has turned off.

The problem with this is when someone like me programs my entire touchpanel system based upon the feedback I get from the 1098, any slight change can cause the system to quit working rather quickly. I'm not sure if it's a bug and SHOULD be working the same or if it's some new undocumented 'feature'. If it's the latter, I'm really wish the 'feature' included documentation with the update. I just spent the last 4 hours programming around the extra feedback since I have no idea what it's trying to tell me (it's not in ASCII). I'm holding off updated any customer units that are controlled RS232 until I get an answer.

Besides known issues that didn't get resolved this go-round, anyone else find some new quirks to the new firmware?

Kevin D.
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Thanks for starting this thread Kevin. I've let Rotel know about this thread and we'll use this thread as the offical problems thread for the new code.

Comment

• Raphie
      • Nov 2004

My DSP modes didn't work after the first EPROM update (no sound out of any of the modes under the DSP button, i had to do the v4 update again

But now it works, so my suggestion is to make sure that you test ALL modes before you take away your PC from your ROTEL

Comment

• PewterTA
        • Nov 2004

I'm not positive, but about 98% sure that mine doesn't say PLIIx, it says Pro Logic when I switch through the modes. I'll check tonight when I get home...
        Digital Audio makes me Happy.
        -Dan

Comment

• Fishy
          • Jul 2004

RomUpdate 4 is missing from the downloads.

Fish

Comment

• pciav
            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Kevin D
            ...Instead I get CINEMA, MUSIC, GAME, PLIIx.
            RSP 1068 here. I just looked at this issue and can confirm the above.

New serious issue for me. PLIIx doesn't seem to be working correctly and related maybe auto selection of signal. After watching a DD signal via cable (SA-8300HD cable box) and switching to a channel that is Pro-Logic only, the sound becomes muted and instead of the voices coming from the center channel they are coming from all around and behind. If I switch modes to 2 Ch. or PLIIx M, then Back to PLIIx C, things seem to work fine. As soon as I change back to a DD signal on another channel and back, I have the same situation.

I am going to reload both the Eprom update and software update to see if this solves the problem. If not, I am going to re-load 1.1.7 and see what happens. I will report back after I am done.

Phil C.
            Last edited by pciav; 25 February 2005, 09:11 Friday.

Comment

• PewterTA
              • Nov 2004

Originally posted by PewterTA
              I'm not positive, but about 98% sure that mine doesn't say PLIIx, it says Pro Logic when I switch through the modes. I'll check tonight when I get home...
              The V3.1.4 firmware does indeed say Pro Logic, not PLIIx on the modes to go through. I've had no problems switching sources between DD and Pro Logic. So this might be set in the V2 firmware.
              Last edited by PewterTA; 24 February 2005, 22:21 Thursday.
              Digital Audio makes me Happy.
              -Dan

Comment

• Kevin D
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Oct 2002

Originally posted by Fishy
                RomUpdate 4 is missing from the downloads.

Fish
                It's in the zip file on Rotel's site as that's where I got it from. I also just checked the 1068/1056 download and it's in there too..

Kevin D.

Comment

• Kevin D
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Oct 2002

*** The 'PLIIx' is definitely good ole 'Pro Logic' ***

Looks like just a mis-label on at least the 2.X and 1068 firmwares.

Kevin D.

Comment

• pciav
                    • Jun 2004

Again for Reference RSP 1068: Started from scratch, re-did the Eprom update, no problems or errors. Next, did the 1.2.1 update, again went as expected , no problems or errors. Powered Down via back panel switch, disconnected RS-232 cable, fixed the dip switches, powered back on, confirmed firmware loaded, proceeded to a factory reset. Re-input all my settings and had the same result. Having a problem switching between a DD 5.1 Signal and DD 2.0 + PLIIx C and alike. Sound becomes muted and sounds tunnel like as described above [Edit] (See Better description quoted in the thread below that Kevin D. Quoted from the 1056 Thread by Ed & Dan)

Re-loaded 1.1.7 (by the way used MTTY, no problems loading 1.1.7 with MTTY) followed same procedure as above and everything is back to normal. Is anyone else having trouble? I think this could be related to the reported Scientific Atlanta Cable Box inprovements
                    This improvement fixes any problems with no audio when changing channels with some Scientific Atlanta HD digital cable boxes.
                    as I have a Scientific Atlanta 8300. I didn't have any previous problems, with 1.1.7 and still don't now that it is re-loaded, but do with 1.2.1. Any ideas?
                    Last edited by pciav; 25 February 2005, 09:12 Friday.

Comment

• Kevin D
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Oct 2002

Just for S&G's, could you reload 1.2.1 just to make sure that causes the issue? I think someone else was having a similar issue, let me see if I can find the thread..

Kevin D.

Comment

• Kevin D
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Oct 2002

PCI, here's some quotes from the '1056 snapping' thread. I've asked them to reply in here to see if they have new models with 1.2.1..

Quote:
                        Originally Posted by emf
                        I've only had mine for a couple of days. No snapping, but I have noticed that on what appears to DD2.0 programming on cable, the automatic surround default to DPLII does not always switch cleanly. The center becomes recessed and seriously attenuated. If I go into the 1056 menu to the test tone, the DPLII immediately comes on full force. I also seem to able to get it manually if I press the two-channel button on the remote first and then press the DPLII button. I'm too early on in this game to make definitive pronouncements. I'm not sure whether the 1056's processing is uneven, the signal from cable is difficult for it to read, or I'm doing something wrong.

Ed

ed,
                        i'm having the same problem with not being able to hear dialogue well when i'm watching time warner cable and it switches to DPLII when i change a channel. i can get the sound back by switching to two channel and then back to DPLII like you said but there has to be a better long term solution.

have you found out any more information about this problem?

i just got my rotel 1056 (actually my second. the dealer swapped me a new one when i noticed the static crackling on the first day. he said this problem has been happening and so far the new one is static free) and i'm happy with it, but for the money i would like to think that it could give me the proper sound on cable channels.
                        dan
                        Lets help Rotel narrow it down!

Kevin D.

Comment

• pciav
                          • Jun 2004

Just for S&G's, could you reload 1.2.1 just to make sure that causes the issue? I think someone else was having a similar issue, let me see if I can find the thread..

Kevin D.
                          Thanks Kevin. Maybe I wasn't clear enough above, but I did do the re-load of 1.2.1 just for S&G's to confirm the problem was with 1.2.1. After the second load and the problems continued, same as described by Ed and Dan, above, I reloaded 1.1.7 and all issues have been resolved, so there is definitely something funky with DD 2.0 with 1.2.1.

I noticed something wasn't right last night. I was watching an HD station that was broadcast in DD 5.1 and when a commercial came on and switched to DD 2.0 the Rotel switched to DD+PLIIx C, like it should, but the sound was as described above. I thought it was just the commercial or something screwed up with the broadcast last night. After coming home today and doing further tests I realized it wasn't the broadcast, but something with 1.2.1.

Phil C.
                          Last edited by pciav; 25 February 2005, 09:18 Friday.

Comment

• basementjack
                            • Dec 2004

Phil, please edit your posts, I'm nearly certain you went from 1.2.1 to 1.1.7, not 1.7.1

(if not please upload the new 1.7.1 firmware - it could save rotel months of developement time! (joking of course))

Comment

• pciav
                              • Jun 2004

Sory for the dyslexic moment. I think I fixed them all. In case I missed something, 1.1.7 is correct for the rollback, not 1.7.1.

Phil C.

Comment

• skipm
                                • Jun 2003

Originally posted by pciav

New serious issue for me. PLIIx doesn't seem to be working correctly and related maybe auto selection of signal. After watching a DD signal via cable (SA-8300HD cable box) and switching to a channel that is Pro-Logic only, the sound becomes muted and instead of the voices coming from the center channel they are coming from all around and behind. If I switch modes to 2 Ch. or PLIIx M, then Back to PLIIx C, things seem to work fine. As soon as I change back to a DD signal on another channel and back, I have the same situation.

Phil C.
                                I'm seeing an issue similar to the one Phil detailed above although in my case, switching channels does not cause the problem. Here's what I've discovered;

I upgraded my 1098 last Saturday morning, going from v2.13 to v2.17. I did not reset to factory defaults, I know I probably should have, and afterward when I went back to check my input settings I noticed that the default mode was blank for every one of my inputs. I thought it odd at the time but no big deal as it only took a couple of minutes to re-enter my v2.13 default modes for each input. Everything was fine until Saturday nite when I started watching a program on my HD cable box that was being broadcast in HD/5.1 DD. At the first commercial break they cut to a local news promo (car wreck, film at 11!) and the sound during the promo got very weird. It was like the volume was cut to the fronts and center speakers but increased in the surrounds ( I have a 5.1 system, no surround backs). The dialog was very loud out of the surrounds and I noticed on the Rotel TFT that the mode had switched to "Dolby PLII Cinema" but I had not heard the familiar "click" one normally hears during a mode change. And the sound was definitely not Dolby PLII Cinema mode. Once the promo was over and the movie started the mode changed back to "Dolby Digital", again with no familiar clicking sound and everything was right again. I'm used to local commercials sounding different (usually louder) so I chalked it up to a problem at the local network affiliate. Especially since when once the movie was over and the local news started the mode changed seamlessly from Dolby Digital to Dolby PLII Cinema, again no clicking sound but the mode change was confirmed on the Rotel TFT.

This behavior has been consistent since the upgrade and not only is it occurring on my cable box (Motorola DCT-6412), but it also occurs on my OTA HDDVR (LG LST-3410A) as well. The problem is easy to reproduce, start watching a show that is being broadcast in DD 5.1, wait for a local commercial break, hold your ears while the volume level increases in the surrounds and goes away in the fronts and center speakers, notice Rotel's TFT verifying the mode change to Dolby PLII Cinema without hearing a click and then changing back to DD after the commercial break. It's strange in that it only goofs up during local commercial breaks and not when it needs to switch modes at the end of a DD broadcast.

I hope I've described what I'm hearing and seeing in such a way that Rotel and others can duplicate it and confirm my findings. Let me know if you need anymore information and let me know soon because I'm thinking very seriously about dropping back to v2.13 or v2.14 until this issue is resolved. The wife is not liking the new firmware upgrade at all if you know what I mean.

-Skip

Comment

• pciav
                                  • Jun 2004

So we now have reports of the same problem on a 1056, 1068, and 1098. I feel better it is just not me. Of course, not meaning this is a good thing...

Andrew, is there any other info we can supply to give to Rotel? Are you going to point Rotel to this or should we contact Rotel individually?

Comment

• Scherr
                                    • Dec 2003

Is everybody having this problem? Anyone not having this problem?

I have Directv and am thinking about downloading the update. I do not want to do it if it is a problem.

Scott

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Aug 2000

Rotel is aware of this thread but I'm going to send them an update shortly as well so there's likely no point emailing them seperatly

Comment

• pciav
                                        • Jun 2004

Ok Andrew, better unified then overloading them for the same issue. I'll wait for advice and provide any further info or testing I can. Thanks for the help.

Phil C.

Comment

• Raphie
                                          • Nov 2004

Kevin D.
                                          correct all my DSP modes were muted, reloading the EPROM and FLASH fixed this problem. have not suffered any of above problems (yet)

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                            • Aug 2000

As you might have notice due to your findings here Rotel has pulled the code from their website and will be testing it at the factory to see if they can replicate the issue before going public with it again. I've told them we'll help in any way we can so I might be contacting some of you for more details on what you're seeing etc.

Comment

• skipm
                                              • Jun 2003

Originally posted by skipm
                                              I'm seeing an issue similar to the one Phil detailed above although in my case, switching channels does not cause the problem. Here's what I've discovered;

-Skip
                                              Another data point, just like Phil said above, switching from a channel broadcasting in DD 5.1 to a channel broadcasting in Dolby Prologic DOES cause my 1098 to switch over to the alien sound mode. Changing channels or manually changing the audio mode to something else and back again fixes it. The 1098 TFT displays Dolby PLII Cinema (my default mode setting for this input) without clicking. I tested this by changing the channel to HBO-HD and then over to a local network affiliate.

-Skip

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                                                Super Senior Member
                                                • Oct 2003

Hi,

Just so you know - we have a solution to the "CINEMA, MUSIC, GAME, PLIIx" mystery. Let me quote from the ever helpful Michael Sheehan
                                                With regards to the question about PLIIx - you are correct that all the modes are various incarnations of PLIIx - Game, Cinema & Music modes. The last mode which just shows PLIIx just means its "standard" or "original" Pro Logic rather than designating it Emulation mode. Original Pro Logic was only 5 channels, however, since you do have center back speakers enabled, it does engage PLIIx to produce output for the CB channels hence the PLIIx title. If you were to disable your CB speakers and scroll through the modes again you will find Pro Logic will appear instead of PLIIx
                                                I checked it - turn off the centre backs and you get Pro-Logic. Turn them on and you get PLIIx which is a new mode that spreads the mono rears of Pro-Logic accross all 4 rears.

Geoff

Comment

• Kevin D
                                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                                  • Oct 2002

Originally posted by Aussie Geoff
                                                  Hi,
                                                  I checked it - turn off the centre backs and you get Pro-Logic. Turn them on and you get PLIIx which is a new mode that spreads the mono rears of Pro-Logic accross all 4 rears.

Geoff
                                                  Heh, yeah cause we'll all use that mode!! Thanks for the update..

Kevin D.

Comment

• Woo Wooooo
                                                    • May 2004

does anyone have firmware B4 2.1.7??

Can someone post the privious versions. I just got my RSP1098 and updated the firmware do you think I should roll it back to the previous version?
                                                    I'd like to correct as much as possible b4 shoving it back in the rack. It will be a mutha pulling it out and updating it. 8O

Comment

• Kevin D
                                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                                      • Oct 2002

Good question.. Besides the RS232 issues, mine DD5.1 -> PCM is working fine with my Dish receiver.. If you don't specifically need any of the improvements, it might not be a bad idea to roll it back.

Attached is 2.1.3 for the 1098
                                                      Attached Files

Comment

• Woo Wooooo
                                                        • May 2004

Best Forum on the Friggin Planet

Thanks Kevin I will roll it back tomorrow!!!! Oh can I use the MTTTY program to roll it back too. Props to everyone here. Just a few more for Kevin on this one!!!!! :T

Comment

• Harl
                                                          • Jul 2002

Hi All,
                                                          I was just getting around to reading this thread. You may have seen my earlier post "1098 audio Probs".

I am having similar issues to Skip M. We have been losing sound at some points when a commercial starts. My wife was watching the Grammys (Dish 921 HD rcvr -Dig optical connection) and EVERY time a commercial would come on we lose sound. We are losing it (becomes very muted, the only way you can hear anything is by putting your ear up to the speaker, when you do, sometimes you only hear a low hiss from the Ctr channel and very faint sound of the commercial in the L main speaker). The difference is that we are losing sound in all 7 channels, whereas Skip is still hearing sound in the surrounds. If you are patient enough to wait out the 3 mins. of commercials, the sound comes back when the normal show comes back on.

You can get sound back immediatley by either a) Powering on/off the 1098 or b) switching inputs momentarrily and then going back the the input you are on.

We are also having audio loss w. the DVD player (Dig Coax connection) when you pause a movie and then try to resume it.

Now running 2.1.7 (was having issues w. 2.1.3 as well)

Sounds like somewhat similar issues.

Sorry for repeating some of these issues already mentioned in my original post!

Comment

• Fishy
                                                            • Jul 2004

So is the Romupdate 4 only for the newer 1908 version 3 firmware? Or can it be loaded on the version 2 boxes as well?

Thanks
                                                            Fish

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                                              • Aug 2000

Just upgraded the eprom and firmware on my 1098. I had a few quirks as the new update utility keeps shutting down XP due to a driver conflict :nono: so I used HyperTerminal PE instead which seemes to work just fine.

Comment

• Woo Wooooo
                                                                • May 2004

Andrew

Are you running the "latest" software and you updated the eprom?

Comment

• whmacs
                                                                  • Oct 2003

Hi Guys,
                                                                  Got up early this morning before the kids where awake and upgraded my RSP-1098 from v2.1.2 to 2.1.7. The new MTTY program certainly made fast work of uploading the firmware (compared to hyper term in the past). Once complete I did a factory reset, then powered the unit off just to be sure. I then reentered all my config information. Then I jump on this forum and see the problems people are having...
                                                                  In my camp things seem ok, I've not experienced any issues with the new firmware so far. Saying that, I can't get HD in my area, only SD which is only two channel, so I can't test the HD 5.1 problem. I've tried a number of DVD's (via coax), paused them etc... and had no sound drop out issues with the RSP-1098 so far.

cheers,
                                                                  Stephen
                                                                  My Home Theatre

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                                    • Aug 2000

Yes I'm running the latest eprom and firmware now and will keep trying different things to see if I get the same problems...so far so good but its early.

Comment

• Fishy
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • Jul 2004

Andrew, when I downloaded the package it didnt contain the Romupdate.4 file that they talk about. Is it for the 1098 of the 1068?

Thanks
                                                                      Fish

Comment

• DrBoom
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • Dec 2003

Hmm, i just checked the Rotel site to download the new firmware, and where the download links used to be it said this: **Removed temporarily. Please check back shortly. **
                                                                        Did they find a bug already ? :B

Comment

• Kevin D
                                                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                                                          • Oct 2002
                                                                          • 4601

I hope the smiley for a joke... I would hate for you to reply to a thread about the serious bugs the new firmware has and then ask why it was pulled..

Kevin D.

Comment

• pciav
                                                                            Member
                                                                            • Jun 2004
                                                                            • 49

Any chance we can change the name of this thread to read: 1056, 1067, 1068 & 1098 latest firmware issues or alike to eliminate some of the duplicate threads out there?

Comment

• Azeke
                                                                              Super Senior Member
                                                                              • Mar 2003
                                                                              • 2123

#39
                                                                              I recently completed the Rom4 and firmware upgrade on the 1098. Initially, I had issues because I tried to utilize Hyperterminal PE (3x's),(WinXP SP2, IBM T-40), and it would not take the upgrade. I started over again, installed the Rom4, upgrade first, and then installed the firmware upgrade 2.17 via MTTY software, rebooted to factory defaults, and thus far I have no issues to report.

I will continue to evaluate the firmware and provide further information if any issues arise.

Regards,

Azeke

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                • Aug 2000
                                                                                • 16507

#40
                                                                                Rotel has also requested that for those reporting a problem please post your serial number as well so they can track what model run its from etc.

Comment

• pciav
                                                                                  Member
                                                                                  • Jun 2004
                                                                                  • 49

#41
                                                                                  RSP 1068: Serial No. 986-4131058. If there is anything else I can provide, let me know. Thanks for the help, Andrew.

Phil C.

Comment

• kirkj
                                                                                    Junior Member
                                                                                    • Jan 2005
                                                                                    • 25

#42
                                                                                    FWIW, I also have the same weird audio thing going with my RSX-1056 that Phil has.

If I turn off the power and turn it back on, it seems to reset the problem and my centre speaker comes back on. I'm on 1.1.9 which was on there when I bought it in January.

- Kirk.

Comment

• Stevebez
                                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                                      • Oct 2003
                                                                                      • 458

#43
                                                                                      1068 - serial number to be updated when I get hold of it ...

But honestly have not encountered any problems ... but have not really watched much home theatre other than broadcast TV (including DD).

Anyhow will keep an eye out. Did the EPROM and software upgrade in that order.

Rgds Steve.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                        • Aug 2000
                                                                                        • 16507

#44
                                                                                        So far mine's hasn't had any problems either watching TV from the PVR optically and a couple of DVD's etc.

Comment

• skipm
                                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                                          • Jun 2003
                                                                                          • 198

#45
                                                                                          Andrew-

Which PVR are you using?

-Skip

Comment

Working...
                                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                          Search Result for "|||"