X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Olivier
    • Jun 2004

RSP 1098 - 2.12 update

Hi there,
    I just received my rsp 1098, and this week end I tried to update it according Rotel's instructions before final installation. All three .bin files have been flashed on the eeprom (necessary before any 2.xx update), by simply following the Rotel update-for-dummies files. Once this done, I could not find the hex addresses to fill in the hyperterminal window to allow me using the X1098v212_20040329_EDFI.bin file. Can anybody explain me how to proceed? Did I do sthg wrong? Right now, my rsp 1098 does not make a sound. HEEELP!!
    Bye/Olivier
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

This is a cut and past from the update PDF. I'll email it to you if you don't have it.

After ROMUpdate1.bin is selected, fill in the 3 blank boxes for Start Address, End
    Address and Device ID with the following information:
    Start Address: 30000
    End Address: 37FFF
    Device ID:

Repeat steps 7-13 for the ROMUpdate2 and ROMUpdate3 data files, however use
    the Start and End Address information listed below for each of the data files (The
    Device ID remains the same):
    ROMUpdate2
    Start Address: 58000
    End Address: 5FFFF
    ROMUpdate3
    Start Address: 4E000
    End Address: 57FFF

Comment

• Zzap
      • Sep 2003

You use the "RSP 1098 EPROM Flash Update Software" program to flash the EEPROM. This software requires you to enter HEX addresses.

The HyperTerminal upload process on the other hand is different and does not need HEX addresses.
      You transfer the .bin file using the Windows HyperTerminal program (surprise! ).

Note that many people - myself included - have had better results first downloading and installing the newer HyperTermine Private Edition (http://www.hilgraeve.com/htpe/download.html).

That taken care of just follow Rotels instructions (http://europe.rotel.com/support/tech...20-instruc.htm) to upload the "X1098v212_20040329_EDFI.bin" file to your 1098.
      /John

Comment

• Bing Fung
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Aug 2000

I used the Hypertermial Private Edition and it was painlessly simple.

Sorry for the OTP, Zzap, your avatar cracks me up :roflmao:
        Bing

Comment

• Zzap
          • Sep 2003

Hehe Bing, I can't remember where I got it from (read "stole"), so I can't give credit, but its definitely one of the better ones...
          /John

Comment

• Zzap
            • Sep 2003

Originally posted by Bing Fung
            Sorry for the OTP, Zzap, your avatar cracks me up
            I'm not familiar with the acronym "OTP" and acronymfinder isn't helping :

69 definitions of OTP. Meaning of OTP. What does OTP stand for? OTP abbreviation. Define OTP at AcronymFinder.com

What does it stand for?
            /John

Comment

• Bing Fung
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Aug 2000

Heh heh, it was my own made up one for "Off Topic Post"

Great Avatar, one of my favorties (now :B ) :T
              Bing

Comment

• Olivier
                • Jun 2004

Thanks for the info. Both Eeprom and firmware upgrade performed according instructions. Firmware confirms now version 2.12 (checksum was fine as well), but I cannot still get a sound out of the 1098..... except test tone on all speakers. Could it be that eeprom flashing went bad? Should I do it again? Any tests you would recommend? Guys, sorry to bother, I am in the middle of Africa, and the next Rotel dealer is 3000km south (Johannesburg).
                Rgds/Olivier

Comment

• Olaf
                  • Nov 2003

Dear Olivier,

Many of us have had some problem or another when doing the upgrade to V2.1.1, but fortunately after upgrading to V2.1.2 only some minor bugs remained.

Your particular problem however does not sound familiar at all (I hope you do not have the mute button pressed and that you have switched off the dip switches at the back ).

You could try a "factory reset" as this was recommended by my Rotel dealer although it has not really helped in resolving any symptoms. Note that you will have to "configure" your RSP-1098 from scratch after the reset so best to write down your current source assignments and other settings first!

Have you perhaps totally disconnected your RSP-1098 when doing the upgrade, and if so are you sure that all assignments are still correct? Do you have analog and digital connections on the same input (for example VCR on analog 1 and DVD on digital 1) as I personally have had some problems with that one.

If the factory reset does not work you may want to try reloading the EPROM but I personally doubt that will be the solution.

Hope the above is helpfull in any way,

Regards & success,

Olaf

Comment

• Olivier
                    • Jun 2004

Thanks Olaf,
                    I have tried as well the factory reset, but with no success. I have only connected so far my dvd player on Video 1 / optical 1. No other element is connected to avoid confusion. Maybe I am missing sthg in the setup -although very simple-. In the worse case I will re-flash the eeprom tonight. Thanks.
                    Bstrgds/Olivier

Comment

• Austin
                      • Jun 2004

I may be have the same problem :

(Last post)

Comment

• Olivier
                        • Jun 2004

I did yesterday another eeprom flash + firmware update. No change at all. Any other idea guys?

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Oct 2003

Oliver,

Try an analog input and see if you can get that working. For example connect the DVD player to the Multi-nputs. We had one member (Sithlord10) in Melbourne who was unlucky enough to have his RSP-1098 break (digital board blow) during the software upgrade... His symptoms were no digital sound but analogue was fine... Worth a thought... (Depressing though)

Geoff

Comment

• Olivier
                            • Jun 2004

Sounds scary, but I will try. Will keep you updated tomorrow. Thanks guys for your help! :T

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Oct 2003

Oliver,

Here are the threads

and then

Don't get too depressed - there has been only one case.... (so far)

Geoff

Comment

• Olivier
                                • Jun 2004

Here's today's update.... I changed the set up of my DVD player to multichannel output, and set the 1098 accordingly. It worked. Sound was fine, on all speakers. So now, what's the conclusion? My digital board is blown out? Dunno, because the latest trouble is the component video signal not working anymore (probably after I re-flashed, re-updated the firmware two days ago :roll: ). After all, maybe my computer is not doing his job properly. Things are pretty confusing. I am thinking about changing computer and try another (3rd) update, and maybe the flashing will be performed as it should be. Or maybe it will get worse, and my 1098 will be transformed in a microwave, or a toaster? :B
                                Getting nuts. :E

Comment

• Austin
                                  • Jun 2004

What version shows your 1098 (the Mute procedure) ?

I guess you have checked that eprom and software version were correct ?

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Oct 2003

Oliver,

Assuming that (as per your earlier post) you can still get the menu's up, they work normally and the version shows 2.1.2 when you press and hold MUTE on the front panel...

Then it is worth checking out for "Murphy's Law". For example you have only tried the single optical cable into the RSP-1098 - can you check another one? (they can crack at the connector). Can you also look at the end that is pluged in to the RSP-1098 (you'll need to pull it out) and make sure you are seeing a bright red light of the signal shinning out of the cable.

Is there any other digital source yoiu can plug in to another port (using a different cable)...

Geoff

Comment

• Olivier
                                      • Jun 2004

Austin, yes, i checked the version and it was okay. Checksum were okay on each firware update. i checked as well if my optical cable was giving some light, but i will do a full swap of cables and run some tests to ensure that nothing is wrong with the dvd. Geoff, will let you know wednesday, cuz i am going 4 days in the bush to see the animals. thanks you all for your suggestions. hopefully we will find out soon. Cheers.

Comment

• Zzap
                                        • Sep 2003

Originally posted by Olivier
                                        i will do a full swap of cables and run some tests
                                        Good luck!
                                        /John

Comment

• Jason R
                                          • Jul 2004

Sticking my neck out here as this might already have been covered, apologise if it has. When i did the update i had to update the first set of software and then do the flash upgrade and then the subsequent 2.xx updates. They warn against installing version 2 before a flash update.

Perhaps that could be why it giving problems, did mine the first night i got it and had no problems, bit painful and time consuming when all iw anted to do was plug it in and listen but well worth it.

Comment

• Olivier
                                            • Jun 2004

Final update: Rotel Europe mailed me home the DSPROM, since all tests were carried without success. Once the chip changed, everything just worked fine!
                                            )

Although the swap was not so easy when you have virtually NO tools (the dsprom is clipped in a craddle, tough to remove), the whole operation was a 20mn job. Had to take good care of antistatic precautions as well.

Everything is now just fine. Thanks all of you for your dedication to my post. Helped me a lot!

Bye/Olivier

Comment

• Zzap
                                              • Sep 2003

Originally posted by Olivier
                                              Once the chip changed, everything just worked fine!
                                              )
                                              I'm glad it worked out in the end!
                                              /John

Comment

• Azeke
                                                Super Senior Member
                                                • Mar 2003

Oliver,

Glad it finally worked out for you, now it's time to sit back and enjoy .

Regards,

Azeke

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                  • Aug 2000

Nice to hear they took care fo you:T

Comment

Working...
                                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                  Search Result for "|||"