X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AustinP
    • Nov 2016

Right Channel Cutting Out

I have an RSP 1068 hooked up to an RMB 1066. Both have been in storage for 4 or 5 years and have just been brought into use today. I am currently using generic in-wall style speaker cables while I await my order from Morrow. I am connected to a pair of MAD 1920S speakers and a REL t7 sub, listening in stereo. I am switching between a cheap RCA cable to Spotify on my phone (temporary setup) and a Clearaudio Concept MM turntable through a Lounge Audio phono preamp.

Setup was super spotty- I could only get one channel- the left- to work. Finally, after tons of fiddling, everything came together. At least for 5 minutes. Everything was working perfectly, then, the right channel cut out. More fiddling. Everything works again. 10 minutes or so later, right channel cuts out. It seems to be exasperated by increasing volume- not super loud, but moderate/high. It's happened about 6 times. Last listen right channel cut out about 12 minutes into an LP. I let it finish with just the left playing, then stopped playing music. I flipped to side B 10 minutes later and both channels are working again.

Does anyone have any ideas?

I also have an RMB 1095, purchased at the same time, also brought out of retirement. I tried it, though it did not work at all. Seperate issue, I am thinking, unless something weird is going on in the 1068??

If you can't tell, I am not tech savvy.

Any advise will be much appreciated!
  • AustinP
    • Nov 2016

It just cut out at low volume, so I don't think volume is the issue...

Comment

• Kevin D
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Oct 2002

What happens if you flip the RCA's going from preamp to amp?

You can also try running source into three multi channel input and see if it still cuts out. That would bypass the DSP board in the 1068

Kevin

Comment

• AustinP
        • Nov 2016

Originally posted by Kevin D
        What happens if you flip the RCA's going from preamp to amp?

You can also try running source into three multi channel input and see if it still cuts out. That would bypass the DSP board in the 1068

Kevin
        I just flipped the RCA's. So far good. I'll try plan B if that cuts out in a few. Thanks for the suggestions.

Austin

Comment

• Kevin D
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Oct 2002

If the left channel cuts out, look at preamp (or RCAs). If right still cuts out look at amp...

Kevin D.

Comment

• AustinP
            • Nov 2016

If the left channel cuts out, look at preamp (or RCAs). If right still cuts out look at amp...

Kevin D.
            It took a lot longer, but the left finally cut out. Is this something that I should have serviced, or likely something minor? Thanks again.

Austin

Comment

• Kevin D
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Oct 2002

Did you flip both ends of the RCA cables, or just one. And if just one side, amp or preamp side?

Comment

• AustinP
                • Nov 2016

Did you flip both ends of the RCA cables, or just one. And if just one side, amp or preamp side?
                Kevin- I flipped one end- the preamp end. Should I try both, or will that make a difference?

I am running it through Zone Out right now and am not experiencing any problems.

-Austin

Comment

• Kevin D
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Oct 2002

Sounds like the DSP board in the preamp. Running through Zone2 does not utilize the DSP board. If it was a bad RCA cable or amp, flipping just the preamp side would have still caused the right speaker to cut out.

Not guaranteed since this is diagnosed over the internet, but everything seems to point that way. A quick look at used values and I don't believe it would be worth fixing based on the last price of the DSP board I saw (~$350)

Kevin D.

Comment

• AustinP
                    • Nov 2016

Sounds like the DSP board in the preamp. Running through Zone2 does not utilize the DSP board. If it was a bad RCA cable or amp, flipping just the preamp side would have still caused the right speaker to cut out.

Not guaranteed since this is diagnosed over the internet, but everything seems to point that way. A quick look at used values and I don't believe it would be worth fixing based on the last price of the DSP board I saw (~$350)

Kevin D.
                    Thanks, Kevin. With used units priced around $375, I figured that there was a slim chance that it would be worth fixing. Looks like a good opportunity for an upgrade. I really appreciate the help!

Hope you had a great Thanksgiving.

-Austin

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"