X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DavidT
    • Apr 2005

Intermittent compoment video output on RSP-1068

Has anyone had this problem?

With the HiDef Comcast Motorola cable box connected to the 1068 via component cables, the video cuts-out for a few seconds and generates video bands, streaks, and other distortions. The duty cycle begins with a few minutes of good video on, then a few seconds off. Over several hours this stretches to 45 minutes of video on, several seconds off. This behavior suggests a thermal related effect.

We have tried all 3 component inputs - same problem. We have used 3 different sets of component cables - same problem. We have used 2 different cable boxes (same model) - same problem.

The Denon 3910 DVD player, when using the same cables and component inputs, does not have this problem.

The cable box, when run directly to the Panasonic PT-L500U projector, does not have this problem.

The composite video i/o does not have this problem.

Other than this problem, we are very pleased with the operation and sound of the 1068.

Regards,

DavidT

Update: Problem solved:

The problem was solved by setting the video input to "progressive" as suggested by board members Radec, Kevin D, ekkoville, and DrJRapp. (I was attempting to transcode the SD signal)

Thank - you gentlemen!

Last edited by DavidT; 25 April 2005, 12:42 Monday. Reason: Problem Solved
  • Radec
    • Jan 2005

When you say the HD cable box ran directly into the projector doesn't have a problem, how are you connecting it? Does it only do it on HD material or others as well? I am asking because when running my cable box with HD material I have the occational cut outs, although mine do not seem to be as frequent as yours. With that being said, I also had it do this when I ran component outs directly into my Sony TV before I had my 1068. This makes me believe it is a bandwith problem/cable box issue, not anything to do with my components.

If you have the same comcast mototola box as mine, it is very tempermental. Over time, the menu guide gets real slow, the HD material skips, etc. I would unplug the power and the cable coming into the box, let it sit for a few minutes, then plug everything back in. The reset would fix about every problem I would have, although you lose your guide until it rebuilds.

Comment

• DavidT
      • Apr 2005

Radec,

If the HD cable box is connected via component cable directly to the projector, the video does not show cut-outs. E.g. if we unplug the 26 foot component cable that goes from the 1068 to the projector and use that same cable to connect the HD cable box directly to the projector, we do not have video cut-outs.

Does that help explain the problem?

Regards.

DavidT

Comment

• DavidT
        • Apr 2005

Radec,

Further testing shows that the cable box HD video through the component inputs has the problem, but the cable box SD video does not have the problem. E.G. ABC on HD cuts-out but ABC on SD does not cut out. Thanks for the suggestion.

It seems that the 1068 is not able to pass an HD signal through the component i/o. Do you know if the 1098 is capable of HD switching?

Regards,

DavidT

Comment

• Kevin D
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Oct 2002

Have you set your cable box input on the 1068 to PROGRESSIVE? The 1068 is perfectly capable of passing HD, but it sounds like on-screen-display data is trying to display on top of the signal causing the issues. When you switch to SD, the OSD data can go through fine. Setting the input to progressive disables the OSD from overlaying.

The setting is under DISPLAY-PROGRESSIVE in the setup menu. Set it to whatever input you use on the cable box. Also, if your DVD player is progressive, set that input too.

Kevin D.

Comment

• DrJRapp
            Super Senior Member
            • Apr 2003

Similar issue with a 1098

I just recently experienced something similar on my 1098. However for me the problem progressed to eventually not haveing any component pass thru. It was also occuuring only only one component input and not the others. Change out of the component video board solved the problem. If I were you I would contact your dealer or Rotel for troubleshooting and possible repair/replacement.
            Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• Radec
              • Jan 2005

It sounds as if we have similar setups, and I have my 1068 video input for my cable box set to "progressive". It has no problems and works like a charm. Try that, if it fails then you might have to take it in.

Let us know

Comment

• ekkoville
                • Aug 2004

I experienced the same thing before Christmas when I began video switching. I made changes with cables, boxes(Comcast made a service call about it), and settings. I found that my TV, cable box, and the video input setting on the 1068 all needed to be set to progressive. I think that the box is set to 720p and my Sony 40" tube needs that as well. When I had the settings on the box to 1080i and the TV to interlaced, I got the same stuttering video, albeit intermintint, it still happened.

Comment

• DavidT
                  • Apr 2005

Gentlemen,

THANK - YOU !

Setting the video input to "progressive" appears to solve the problem.

I did not set up the input this way originally because I wanted to use the transcoding function for SD signals from the cable box as described below:

"When a video input or inputs are selected for progressive mode, the conversion from composite or S-VIDEO output is not available for those inputs."

Fortunately the transcoding in the cable box works well enough to use.

Regards, and thank - you again,

DavidT

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"