• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Vicente
    • May 2004

Rotel RSX 1056 Dead

:rant: :rant:

I'm really frustrated.

About 20 days ago I decided to watch a film as always. The receiver was in stand by position (light on) and I usually turn it on through the remote control, but this time I pressed the on button and then the light went off and the receiver stopped working. No noise, no smell, nothing.

I tried to turn it on with the remote but nothing happened.

Later I checked if something was working and feel that the chassis was warm.

I thought that probably was something not very important and I sent it to my dealer who sent it to the technical repair department from Rotel.

After more than fifteen days I received a call from my dealer telling me that there was a big problem, because the main board, where the main processor is located, was damaged and should be replaced for a new one, with a cost of around 650 dollars!!!!!!

I was talking to my dealer to see if there was my fault, and he told me no. It seems that mine is not the first one with this problem, and they had other similar cases.

I know that my receiver is not under guarantee now, but I think that if the fault is related to a hidden problem, Rotel should cover it at least in part. I believe that a machine that costed me about 2500 Dollars 6 years ago should have a better support from the brand.

For the moment I have decided not to repair it, and I'm checking the new Pioneer SC LX73, but I really feel frustrated. I loved the sound of the Rotel and also the nice look that matched my DVD RDV 1092 (That also I had to send to repair under guarantee about one year ago, because of reading problems).

What do you think about it? Any of you had a similar problem? Is it any way to claim Rotel for this problem?
    My dealer explained me that some other brands he sells, in a similar situation have sent the customer a new machine, but that Rotel (represented by B&W) is always reluctant to do this in all cases ant that's why they are selling less and less Rotel, Classé & B&W stuff.

Do you think there could be any other place where the receiver could be repaired out of Rotel ?

Any relief for my troubled soul?

Thanks to all. Regards
    Last edited by Vicente; 18 October 2010, 13:31 Monday.
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

I wouldn't say it's a high percentage problem, but the main board is usually the problem when they do break.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Vicente
      • May 2004

Thanks Kevin, but I'm really angry about Rotel's aftersale service.

I think it's an abusive price, thinking that it has been broken without a missuse from my part.

I thought I was buying a fine piece of equipment, but it seems that in reality I bought "chinese quality" for about 2500 dollars.

I have electronic equipment that is still working after 30 years of use and I could understand if one of this would break, but having to throw away a machine with 6 years because of the high repair cost, I think it is not fair.

So, Is there any chance to repair this outside Rotel or the only way is paying them so much money?

Thanks again. Regards
      Last edited by Vicente; 18 October 2010, 13:32 Monday.

Comment

• madmac
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2010

Go back to the place you bought it and scream. Bottom line is that Rotel products cost more and are a cut above mainstream audio products like Yamaha and Pioneer. $2600 bucks should buy you an amp that lasts more than 6 years I would say?. Your dealer should go through the local Rotel/ B@W rep to make something happen for you. At least Rotel should look into the issue and causes and evaluate if the issue is their fault?. I've had receivers of lesser quality that lasted many more years than yours has!.
        Dan Madden :T

Comment

• Vicente
          • May 2004

As I was telling in the original post, the people that sold me the receiver (and the rest of my home theather system)
          were talking to the Rotel rep guys trying to get a good deal with the repair of the unit, but they couldn't get any special agreement about this.

I would have paid maybe half of that price for the repair, but they didn't agree to put anything from their part, so I'm getting back the damaged receiver and will forget Rotel forever.

As I told you I'm thinking in buying Pioneer SC LX73 (you can see this model in the european web) and match it with the Oppo bd83 that I'm already using instead of the DVD RDV 1092.

That was another mistake from my part, becase paying more than 2000 dollars for that DVD player was a real rip-off (but I did it because it matched my rsx 1056 that now is dead).

I don't know if there is someplace where I can officialy complain about this case but if there is I will do it.

Thanks. Best regards
          Last edited by Vicente; 18 October 2010, 13:35 Monday.

Comment

• madmac
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2010

Issue with the Store ?

Hi Vicente,

Sounds like the store is not going the distance for you. They sell Rotel products and will cease to do so if Rotel product gets a bad reputation!. I would write an email to Rotel directly and see what they say. A receiver should absolutely last longer than 6 years in my opinion and the store should back you up.

Comment

• dan87951
              • Nov 2005

Man, sorry to hear! I have a trusty old HK AVR 520 (bought new in 03) that was 1/4 the cost and I still use it everyday. Like another poster here said I think your pretty much paying for the name on these units now. Sure they have great DAC's and power supplies but look at all the problems they have had latey. I'm in the market for a new processor and after hearing about some issues with Rotel's stuff I ran away. It's a shame that you spend that kind of money and they just give you the cold shoulder!

I do have a Rotel RCC-1055 (7 years old) CD changer that has been flawless. It's been through mutiple college parties and house parties and it just keeps going and going. To bad they don't build them like that anymore. The only reason I bought a CD player that expensive back in the day is we kept killing the cheaper ones in college. Man were those the days..
              dan87951
              audio guru

Comment

• madmac
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2010

Hi again Vicente,
                Rotel replaced my receiver that had a similar problem but it was still under warranty (Almost 5 years old though!!). Before that, I had a higher end Yamaha that was still going strong after over 10 years. Rotel is new in the digital processing field and I believe they may have not worked out all the facets of the medium. I am very surprised that you did not get any special concideration from them and from your dealer. Really nice choice on the Oppo BD player!. I have an Oppo and they are bar none the best DVD and BD players on the market today and, they are reasonably priced as well!!. My Oppo was out of Warranty when it broke down and they gave me an RMA and fixed it for free. All I had to pay was the freight to ship it to them. They repaired it and shipped it back to me for free!. That's the kind of service you should be getting from Rotel (Assuming the issue is their flaw which it appears it is!!). They MUST stand by their products if they want to play in the higher end audio market.

Comment

• Vicente
                  • May 2004

After talking to the Rotel representatives I got a discount in the repair, but it keeps being so expensive....

Resuming, the total price for repair it, including taxes, was 660 Euros!!!! plus shipping (another 50 Euros)

After the special agreement the bill was reduced to 457 Euros and the shipping for free.

I have sent it for repair but still think its too expensive.

I still love Rotel for its sound but not for its reliability.

Comment

• madmac
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2010

The good thing is that the repair will have a warranty so if they do not repair it properly, you can return it until it's done right. They should also pick up all the freight if that becomes necessary. I mean, these puppies are almost 40lbs !!

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"