X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chamath
    • Nov 2007

Rotel Firmware update -- info

I would like to share my 2nd upgrade experience with you so hopefully you would not run into the same issues I had. I have a Rotel RSX-1057; however, the issue described below would apply to any upgrade as it was not a Rotel problem.

Firmware: (1057)
    my system = 2.1.2
    Rotel web site= 2.1.6

PC:
    IBM Laptop/Tablet X60 Type/M=6363-ADU {Intel Core Duo 1.83 Ghz, 1.5 GB of RAM, No RS232 ports}

USB to Serial:
    IOGear Model UC232A

First Upgrade: Windows XP Pro SP2
    Second Upgrade: Windows Vista Business

I plugged up my Rotel to my IBM X60 and fired up Rotel Upgrade Manager; picked the file, set serial port/baud per Rotel instructions. Upgrade started and finished in 43 sec. I was a bit shocked since 2.1.0 to 2.1.2 took 3.5 min. The Rotel Upgrade Manager displayed “CHECKSUM: FAILED!” My Rotel had no light and would not respond to the power button.

At first I thought it might be a problem with the firmware so downloaded again and gave it another shot. The intelligence built into the Rotel Upgrade Manger seems to check model number or something since it showed a mismatch between the corrupted code on the unit and the firmware version I was trying to apply and would not let me continue.

I brought my old full PC to my living room (Intel Pentium III 350 mhz, 256 MB RAM, 2 RS232 ports) and got the same version mismatch error. I tried the old 2.1.2, and the new 2.1.6 on difference. At this point I knew I was in trouble. Rotel was closed due to the Thanksgiving break.

Resolution:
    I felt if I could either get the Rotel Upgrade Manager not to check for the version info I would be OK, or if I could use something else to download it I would be fine. I downloaded an application called MTTY from the Rotel site. Using it I was able to put the 2.1.2 file on my Rotel. Rotel still would not power on. Then I tried to do the upgrade again (Windows XP box) and it showed the Current Version as “UNKNOWN” but asked me whether to proceed. Clicked yes, and about 3.5 mins later I heard my Rotel click. Rotel powered up and worked fine. So from the 2.1.2 file it must have identified the model...

Re-Test:
    So I needed to know... was this caused by Windows Vista/USB converter or the firmware. Nervously I ran the Rotel Upgrade Manager again on the Windo
    bws XP box and tried to install 2.1.6. This time it took 3.5 mins and worked fine.

Conclusion:
    The IBM X60 and USB to Serial Converter remained the same from my first successful upgrade (2.1.0 to 2.1.2) to my second failed upgrade (2.1.2 to 2.1.6). Thus the only thing different was the OS. So It appears, in my case at least, the problem was entirely a Windows Vista Business / USB Serial Converter issue. So please be careful...
    ...chamath
  • mjb
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

So you're the one using Vista. I knew there was a reason everyone else was avoiding it like the plague. Thanks for the info
    - Mike

Main System:
    B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
    Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• Henk
      • Jun 2003

Great post. Thanks for sharing the info. I've had some scary experiences with updates myself, and appreciate your guidance on what to do not to get into trouble.

Henk

Comment

• Azeke
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2003

Nice post thanks for the information. I would continue to do updates via XP, I have many issues with Vista software conversions from XP.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

• renpar61
          • Jul 2007

Mac anyone?

Comment

• Azeke
            Super Senior Member
            • Mar 2003

Originally posted by renpar61
            Mac anyone?
            I think not, but I could be wrong with the new Lepoard OS. I would have a XP load on standby just to be on the safe side.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

• browns1
              • Jul 2006

I have limited ability when it comes to the technical aspect of my laptop. I fear the firmware update for my rsp1068 like the plague. I want to do it but know that something will go wrong. Too bad Rotel and others cant issue a firmware CD or DVD that would load via digital connection and accessed through a firmware screen. Just my 2 cents.

thanks

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"