X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Opus007
    • Nov 2007

Amp And volume question.

Am I driving the amp harder when I have to turn up the volume to meet a certain level?When I use my cdp on my pre-amp the volume is set at 75.When I listen to XM I have to turn the volume to around 85 to reach the same volume level as the cdp.Thanks.
  • chrispy35
    • Feb 2004

Nope. If the volume to your ears is the same, the amp is working just as hard in each case. It's just that the XM line level is slightly lower than the CDP's so the pre has to do a little more to get the input to the amp to the same level.

In an extreme case, if you crank the volume on you pre all the way and leave your CDP stopped/paused, the amp will only be drawing idle power. It's what's coming out of the amp that matters.

Comment

• bigburner
      Super Senior Member
      • May 2005

Opus007, you will find the same thing with different recordings on your cdp. I have some old recordings that really need the volume cranked up. For example, a lot of modern recordings have been compressed to make them louder, removing the dynamic range that "quiet" recordings provide.

Nigel.

Comment

• BWLover
        • Jan 2009

i have the same issue when someone comes over and wants to listen to thoses dreaded things called iPods on my system. you have to crank it.
        Bowers & Wilkins 683 Speakers
        Rotel RB-1090 2 Channel Amp
        Rotel RC-1082 Stereo Pre Amp
        Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player
        Pro-Ject Debut Carbon w/ Ortofon 2M Red (sitting on a piece of slate supported by 3 "solid tech feet of silence" isolation feet)
        Rotel RLC-1040 Power Conditioner
        Shynyata Research SR-Z1 Power Outlet & Venom 3 Power Cords x 4
        Tara Labs RSC Vector 1 Speaker Cables & Interconnects
        Pioneer PDP-5070HD 50" Plasma
        Playstation 3
        Shaw HD PVR
        Primacoustic Room Treatments

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"