X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ASilva
    • Apr 2009

Volume on CAP-2100

Hello people!

I wonder if any of you guys whom have had expirience with CAP-2100 amp could give me some opinions about the volume on this amp? I have the volume set as relative and in order to get a decent spl I have to set the volume at -34dB to -28dB! With my previous amp I would get suficient spl with the volume showing -42dB. I also have Classé CDP-102 with volume set to max. and fixed, and driving B&W 705's. My concern is if I am pushing the amp too much? From your own expirience is this high volume numbers normal? On a normal vol. pot this would mean the knob being over the 12 o'clock, am I right?

Your opinions would be greatly appreciated ;x(

ASilva
  • AV-OCD
    • Aug 2008

I have my SSP-800 calibrated for 75dB based on the internally generated test tones, and I typically have the volume set between -35dB and -22dB for watching TV, and between -18 and -13 for movies, so your settings don't seem unreasonable.

I think that as long as you don't hear distortion, it doesn't really matter what the volume readout says.

Comment

• Glen B
      Super Senior Member
      • Jul 2004

You have two things going on; volume control taper and maybe differences in amplifier input sensitivity. All the volume control does is attenuate (cut) the input signal. At its lowest setting, it is applying maximum attenuation. As you raise the control, it applies less and less attenuation to the input signal.

The exact amount of cut depends on the "taper" of the volume control potentiometer (pot). Taper refers to the way the attenuation of the signal is spread over the operating range of the pot. This taper can vary from one pot to the next, so you can't judge different components by position of the volume control or dB readout. The same thing applies if volume is electronically controlled.

Also, your previous amp may have had a higher input sensitivity, so that it needed less input signal to achieve the same volume level as your new amp. As AV-OCD said, as long as you are not getting any distortion, don't worry about it.

Comment

• ASilva
        • Apr 2009

Hello AV-OCD and Glen B

Thank you guys for your thoughts :T So, as far as my ears, the neighbours and the wife don't complain I can pump up the volume, right? :twisted: 8)

Greetings

Comment

• Glen B
          Super Senior Member
          • Jul 2004

Yes, you can pump up the volume, just don't drive the amp to the point of distortion. That rule applies to all amplifiers.

Comment

• ASilva
            • Apr 2009

Hi Glen B

No worries, I won't do that (the wife would kick my a...)
            Like you said, it's just diferences between amps.

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"