X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ShadowZA
    Super Senior Member
    • Jan 2006

Planning to upgrade to a dedicated CDP - agonising decision

I've been fortunate enough to have had my supplier lend me his own Meridian 808 Signature Reference CDP. I've had my eye on this unit for some time and this was the perfect opportunity.

I've just completed a long, enjoyable and concentrated listening session, playing tracks firstly in my present source player (Marantz DV7600 fed digitally to Krell Showcase Processor & converted to analog using Krell's DAC's), then immediately thereafter in the Meridian 808, converted there & the analog signal fed via balanced cables through the Krell pre-amp section of the Showcase Processor to power amp.

CD tracks played were:

1. Marc Antoine - Mediterraneo
    Track: Mediterraneo
    2. Patricia Barber Live - A Fortnight in France
    Track: Gotcha
    3. Jim Tomlinson - The Lyric (Featuring Stacey Kent on vocals)
    Track: Jardin D'Hiver
    4. Bob James - Urban Flamingo
    Track: Lay Down With You
    5. The Lord of The Rings - The Return of the King
    Track: Into the West - performed by Annie Lennox

What I heard on the 808 was more detail, greater resolution and a whole lot more sound space mainly in the first two tracks in the above list (Antoine & Barber). Regarding the other tracks, there were differences. I have not yet been able to determine whether these differences were imagined, slight or quite material. My mind or ears or both are playing tricks on me. I need to rest first. Then I need more time.

I'd like to put forward an opinion at this point and that is that the 808 does wonderful things with good recordings. Bad recordings or even mediocre ones will be exposed, humiliated & turfed in the dirt.

I love this player already, but it is a big decision and a difficult one. Need to balance that which I've heard, that which I like, finances & any other bits of information which may be relevant.

Any opinions, bits of experience and info that anyone may have, please share. It's sleepless nights for me right now.

Thanks

Attached Files
  • ShadowZA
    Super Senior Member
    • Jan 2006

Update ....

Haven't slept, haven't eaten. Who needs food, sleep & all that other administrative biological stuff!

This beautiful CDP plays everything I've fed it so far. DVD-Audio even AC-3 tracks (stereo) on DVD-Video. On now ... DVD-Video of Diana Krall - Live in Paris.

Comment

• RebelMan
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Mar 2005

I wish I had something constructive to contribute but I don't. I haven't been so fortunate to hear the mighty M808 CDP much less se one up close. I am loving the demo selections you chose. IMO, you are covering all the bases with that group. Wish I could be there to enjoy it with you.

You know what they say, possession is nine tenths of the law. Are you the new Meridian Marshall in town??? :rofl:

I am curious though how does the player itself sound during those quite passages? And what about the transport tray construction? Anything like the Esoteric's from Teac? Also how do the DACS compare between the 808 and the Showcase using the CDP as a transport?

Speaking of sleep time for me to go get some. LOL

Keep on playing those smooth tunes Shadow! :T
      "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• Kobus
        • Aug 2005

Love it.

I have nothing to offer, besides wishing you all the enjoyment that this ride can offer.

I can just see you, listening all night, coming "here" at 12:30am, posting, thinking, trying to sleep, etc.

May I ask the price of that CDP.

Have a lovely day.

Kobus

Comment

• Briz vegas
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2005

Thought you were looking at the GO8.

My decision for a dedicated CD-P was more constrained by budget than yours. I found the 5x/flatcap2 more engaging that the similarly priced GO8, but thats my ears.

Really high end CD players are problematic. I have read a number of posts about the Naim555 and its interesting reading your comments about the Meridian 808 (which I think is about 1/2 the price of the Naim). The Naim owners and would be owners have been saying that it is the best they have heard "from a CD", then often go on to say that their similarly expensive vinyl rig sounds better.

Is there a point of diminishing returns where the differences are so slight it does not matter. Matbe the 808 is overkill for the 803D or even the Krell processor. (just asking the question, I have only ever heard 804S, 802D & N800 and the only Krell I have heard is their relatively modest KAV300i receiver- and its owner bypasses the pre-stage with a dedicated tube 2 channel pre). Is it possible that this is why you are struggling with the decision?

I would be curious if the 808 has the same mechanism as the GO8 - we both know the experiences of some people with that.

I think if the decision is a hard one then maybe you should be checking out your other options. A marginal amount of additional detail does not sound worth it to me - you can get that from a cable upgrade. A component at that level should just sound right, right down to the silly grin on your face when you are listening and an inability to stop playing CDs when you should have been asleep 3 hours ago - end of story.

What about all those badly recorded CDs. I guess you can use your Marantz/Krell for them.

Have you A/B-ed a vinyl rig or another CD player of a similar level next to the Meridian. I'm sure that the audiophile quality recordings that you are listening to will also be available on vinyl, making it a better option.

I reckon if you have the answers to all the above, you love the player and you have the cash - then go for it!

Hope that helps......................oh, and get some sleep before you make the decision. :W
          Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
          Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• ShadowZA
            Super Senior Member
            • Jan 2006

Originally posted by RebelMan
            I wish I had something constructive to contribute but I don't. I haven't been so fortunate to hear the mighty M808 CDP much less se one up close. I am loving the demo selections you chose. IMO, you are covering all the bases with that group. Wish I could be there to enjoy it with you.

You know what they say, possession is nine tenths of the law. Are you the new Meridian Marshall in town??? :rofl:

I am curious though how does the player itself sound during those quite passages? And what about the transport tray construction? Anything like the Esoteric's from Teac? Also how do the DACS compare between the 808 and the Showcase using the CDP as a transport?

Speaking of sleep time for me to go get some. LOL

Keep on playing those smooth tunes Shadow! :T
            You betcha! Thanks RebelMan

Wish you were here too. Our wives could do the sleeping & we could do the listening.

With specific reference to the Patricia Barber cd, there is no noticeable sound at all during the silent bits. Ditto regarding the Marantz/Krell setup. Below is a pic of the transport tray. Seems to open and close with a discernable "click". Seems to be sturdy enough, not nearly as rock-solidly constructed as the Esoteric stuff tho'. Those are unique. I have a feel that if you drop an Esoteric piece from a height, it'll keep on playin' sweet music. As solid as the Meridian is ... there is no way I'll even want to allow anyone to move it/touch it. No, cannot become all picky.

Regarding the sound differences. Again with specific reference to Patricia Barber. There is a definite sense of there being a veil lifted. Her being fuller, more resolute ... as if she were next to me. But, not as radically noticeable as was the difference between the Rotel RSP-976 Processor & the Krell Showcase Processor ... but noticeable nevertheless. When using the Meridian as a digital transport, a similar case of a noticeable veil being lifted was noticed. This leads me to believe 2 things:
            1. Both the Krell's and the Meridian's DAC's are top quality (I do not know which are better), and
            2. That transports can/do make a difference.

There IS something better than this, RebelMan ... and I think that you do know what this is ... a couple of Marlan head's. Hang on to your heads ... they're excellent sound investments.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by ShadowZA; 08 June 2007, 09:14 Friday.

Comment

• ShadowZA
              Super Senior Member
              • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Kobus
              Love it.

I have nothing to offer, besides wishing you all the enjoyment that this ride can offer.

I can just see you, listening all night, coming "here" at 12:30am, posting, thinking, trying to sleep, etc.

May I ask the price of that CDP.

Have a lovely day.

Kobus
              Thank you, Kobus.

The recommended selling price here (in ZAR) is R130 000.
              Balancing my mind between work & music. TGIF

Have a great day, too

Comment

• ShadowZA
                Super Senior Member
                • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Briz vegas
                Thought you were looking at the GO8.

My decision for a dedicated CD-P was more constrained by budget than yours. I found the 5x/flatcap2 more engaging that the similarly priced GO8, but thats my ears.

Really high end CD players are problematic. I have read a number of posts about the Naim555 and its interesting reading your comments about the Meridian 808 (which I think is about 1/2 the price of the Naim). The Naim owners and would be owners have been saying that it is the best they have heard "from a CD", then often go on to say that their similarly expensive vinyl rig sounds better.

Is there a point of diminishing returns where the differences are so slight it does not matter. Matbe the 808 is overkill for the 803D or even the Krell processor. (just asking the question, I have only ever heard 804S, 802D & N800 and the only Krell I have heard is their relatively modest KAV300i receiver- and its owner bypasses the pre-stage with a dedicated tube 2 channel pre). Is it possible that this is why you are struggling with the decision?

I would be curious if the 808 has the same mechanism as the GO8 - we both know the experiences of some people with that.

I think if the decision is a hard one then maybe you should be checking out your other options. A marginal amount of additional detail does not sound worth it to me - you can get that from a cable upgrade. A component at that level should just sound right, right down to the silly grin on your face when you are listening and an inability to stop playing CDs when you should have been asleep 3 hours ago - end of story.

What about all those badly recorded CDs. I guess you can use your Marantz/Krell for them.

Have you A/B-ed a vinyl rig or another CD player of a similar level next to the Meridian. I'm sure that the audiophile quality recordings that you are listening to will also be available on vinyl, making it a better option.

I reckon if you have the answers to all the above, you love the player and you have the cash - then go for it!

Hope that helps......................oh, and get some sleep before you make the decision. :W
                Briz, I was looking at either the G08 or the Krell SACD Standard. Problems experienced with the G08 kind of slowed my pace a little. Finances changed (improved) and I upgraded my plans. My supplier carries the full Meridian line and up until now I've been going back & forth between the 808 and the Krell Evo 505. Price differences between the two players is negligible to me. I am tending towards the Meridian for the following reasons:

1. As much as I try to put a lid on it, I do lust after the detail that the 808 delivers from GOOD RECORDINGS. Diminishing returns territory noted and accounted for.
                2. Meridian has been building CD players for as long as Krell has been building amplifiers.
                3. Robert Stuart & Allen Boothroyd of Meridian are actively and currently involved in latest audio technologies. This is not to say anything negative about Krell at all in any way. It's just that my CDP confidence is tending towards Meridian at this time.
                4. I have been unable to listen to an Evo 505. The fact that I am able to listen to the Meridian 808 in my home, I class as a fortunate event in itself.

The decision is hard for me because I'm a typical prudent accountant & when it comes to buying something like this ... of high value which is not a necessity. Even though it is a passion & affordable, it still gives me the heebie-jeebies.

As good as vinyl is, I simply do not have the patience for it. Simply put, my goal is to get the very best that I can out of CD.

The major flies in the ointment are badly recorded CD's. I do not have an answer to this. A side-step, yes. Don't play them. :twisted:

Thanks & I'll definitely sleep before final approach

Comment

• ShadowZA
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Jan 2006

One more thing ...

A niggle of mine was: Soundwise, would the 808 being used for music listening put the Marantz/Krell combo to shame for movie watching?

My answer to this is: No!

To me the movie sound is less critical than an evening of smooth Jazz music. Even so, the Marantz/Krell combo performs more than adequately in this dept imho. Adding the DD-15 to this = bliss!

Comment

• ShadowZA
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Jan 2006

Last thing ....

Just played the track "Kickin' Back" from the album "Joined at the Hip - Bob James & Kirk Whalum" at high volume levels. This is where the Meridian 808 kicks proverbial butt. The difference NOW between the Marantz combo & the 808 was not small. Totally resolute. Crisp. Right here. No veil. No subtle grainyness. Pure. You can smell the sound it is so tangible. It is total.

Comment

• RebelMan
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by ShadowZA
                      There IS something better than this, RebelMan ... and I think that you do know what this is ... a couple of Marlan head's. Hang on to your heads ... they're excellent sound investments.
                      Will do. As you know three heads would be better than two. Be thankful your agony is only limited to CDPs. :B

Comment

• Briz vegas
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Mar 2005

Last thing ....

Just played the track "Kickin' Back" from the album "Joined at the Hip - Bob James & Kirk Whalum" at high volume levels. This is where the Meridian 808 kicks proverbial butt. The difference NOW between the Marantz combo & the 808 was not small. Totally resolute. Crisp. Right here. No veil. No subtle grainyness. Pure. You can smell the sound it is so tangible. It is total.

Well what are you waiting for then !!! We will keep an eye on the forum while you are off getting your new Meridian. :T

Don't worry about us we will be fine. Just watch out for the sleep deprivation in the coming weeks
                        Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)

Comment

• Russ L
                          • Jul 2006

Any opinions, bits of experience and info that anyone may have, please share. It's sleepless nights for me right now.
                          Its an unfortunate fact that the digital to analog conversion of CDs is very problematic. A top notch audiophile CD player is the best investment one can make. Its suprising how many people have spent $20,000 on speakers and amps while only having a $1000 or less universal player as a source. I think one of the advantages of being over 40 is remembering how smooth and realistic Lps sounded in comparison to CDs. Over the last year I got back into a sound system for the first time since my youth and the music never satisfied. The Universal player turned out to be the weak link. Fortunately my investment in Amp and speakers could be saved with the purchase of a high quality CD player to erase the menace of :evil: "digitalis"! :evil: . Now (most of) my Cds sound smooth, clear and grain free. ( The rest turned into unlistenable trade-ins.) I can sleep at night! My player was only $2000 but it sounded like other players that cost $5000 in head to head showdowns. It cost one-third of my total investment in my 2-channel system. (Is this a rule? Total Cost= 1/3 CD Player + 1/3 Amps + 1/3 Speakers. Plus 10% of total cost on cabling.) In your case the Meridian will match the cost of your 803Ds and bring out the best in those beauties. :T Enjoy! Best regards, Russ
                          Russ

Comment

• ShadowZA
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Russ L
                            Its an unfortunate fact that the digital to analog conversion of CDs is very problematic. A top notch audiophile CD player is the best investment one can make. Its suprising how many people have spent $20,000 on speakers and amps while only having a $1000 or less universal player as a source. I think one of the advantages of being over 40 is remembering how smooth and realistic Lps sounded in comparison to CDs. Over the last year I got back into a sound system for the first time since my youth and the music never satisfied. The Universal player turned out to be the weak link. Fortunately my investment in Amp and speakers could be saved with the purchase of a high quality CD player to erase the menace of :evil: "digitalis"! :evil: . Now (most of) my Cds sound smooth, clear and grain free. ( The rest turned into unlistenable trade-ins.) I can sleep at night! My player was only $2000 but it sounded like other players that cost $5000 in head to head showdowns. It cost one-third of my total investment in my 2-channel system. (Is this a rule? Total Cost= 1/3 CD Player + 1/3 Amps + 1/3 Speakers. Plus 10% of total cost on cabling.) In your case the Meridian will match the cost of your 803Ds and bring out the best in those beauties. :T Enjoy! Best regards, Russ
                            I am tending to think those thoughts exactly. Thanks for the heads-up, Russ.

Comment

• Kobus
                              • Aug 2005

Hi Shadow, out of interest, is a dedicated 2ch pre-amp in your future plans.

Kobus

Comment

• ShadowZA
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Jan 2006

Hi Shadow, out of interest, is a dedicated 2ch pre-amp in your future plans.

Kobus
                                Kobus, I'm happy to use the pre-amp facility which is included as part of the Krell Showcase unit. The 808 has an on-board volume control and the facility to connect directly to a power amp. In the future this could be useful.

Comment

• bigburner
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • May 2005

This is where the Meridian 808 kicks proverbial butt. The difference NOW between the Marantz combo & the 808 was not small. Totally resolute. Crisp. Right here. No veil. No subtle grainyness. Pure. You can smell the sound it is so tangible. It is total.
                                  I think I detect some buying signals there.

Comment

• ShadowZA
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Jan 2006

Decision-making time over.
                                    Placed an order this morn.
                                    About 6 weeks till unit arrives.

Thanks for allowing me to mouth-off. It would be 10 times more difficult without having you folks available to bounce ideas off.

Thanks again guys :T

Comment

• RebelMan
                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                      • Mar 2005

I think one of the advantages of being over 40 is remembering how smooth and realistic Lps sounded in comparison to CDs.
                                      A refreshing reminder of the good times! Kids don't know what they are missing. 8)

Comment

• RebelMan
                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                        • Mar 2005

Decision-making time over.
                                        Excellent news Shadow. :T

So in six weeks you can get down to some blissful pastime and forget you ever knew Agony and enjoy some Sweet sounds instead... LOL Sorry man I couldn't resist. :B

Comment

• ShadowZA
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • Jan 2006

Excellent news Shadow. :T

So in six weeks you can get down to some blissful pastime and forget you ever knew Agony and enjoy some Sweet sounds instead... LOL Sorry man I couldn't resist. :B
                                          You bet, RebelMan, you bet

Comment

• Briz vegas
                                            Super Senior Member
                                            • Mar 2005

That's not a tray................this is a tray !!!!!! oke:

(how do you put the photos in the body of the post.? Oh well, I will put them down the bottom)

Enjoy your amazing new toy mate! Looks like a beauty

How do you find the remote. It would never fall behind the cushions on the sofa, those Meridian remotes are like laptops. I would imagine that you would have one of those zippy programmable jobs anyway.
                                            Attached Files

Comment

• ShadowZA
                                              Super Senior Member
                                              • Jan 2006

That's not a tray................this is a tray !!!!!! oke:

(how do you put the photos in the body of the post.? Oh well, I will put them down the bottom)

Enjoy your amazing new toy mate! Looks like a beauty

How do you find the remote. It would never fall behind the cushions on the sofa, those Meridian remotes are like laptops. I would imagine that you would have one of those zippy programmable jobs anyway.
                                              Yeeeeee ... with a tray like that ... I'd use it to store valuables in. No-one would think to look in there. Probably the reason that the Meridian's tray is so ordinary is that if one has drive failure, it should not cost an arm and a leg to fix (taking into account that one may have no arms or legs left after purchasing the unit :lol: )

The remote is almost bigger than my laptop. :rofl:

Thanks, man. I handed back the borrowed unit today :cry:
                                              Well, 6 weeks is not too long to wait.

This is how I put pics in a post. Click on the "Manage attachments" button located beneath the yellow "Additional options" bar. A little window pops up. Click the "Browse" button to locate pic on your HDD. Then upload it. After a few secs it should display the file uploaded in this little window. Click on this file & then copy and paste the address into your message (not forgetting to wrap [IMG] & [/IMG] around this address using the "insert image" button above the message window). Hope you can get that.

Comment

• Kobus
                                                • Aug 2005

Well, 6 weeks is not too long to wait.
                                                Really

Is it not 5 and a half now.

Kobus

Comment

• ShadowZA
                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                  • Jan 2006

Well, the unit has arrived. It's setup and I'm running it in at present. Imho, its sound = bliss². Already I am simply unable to get enough of this units detailed sound - I'm listening to Stacey Kent's "Dreamsville". No sub ... only left & right channels in stereo. Perfect!

Attached Files

Comment

• wkhanna
                                                    Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                                                    • Jan 2006

Wow! :B
                                                    _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                                                    ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Russ L
                                                      • Jul 2006

Obviously worth the wait! Are you running balanced interconnects out of that dream machine and if so what type? Regards, Russ
                                                      Russ

Comment

• ShadowZA
                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                        • Jan 2006

Obviously worth the wait! Are you running balanced interconnects out of that dream machine and if so what type? Regards, Russ
                                                        Russ, I'm running balanced analog interconnects out of the 808 (Van den Hul "The SECOND").

Comment

• ShadowZA
                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                          • Jan 2006

A quick pic displaying the signatures of Robert (Bob) Stuart and Allen Boothroyd on the 808.

Attached Files

Comment

• Briz vegas
                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                            • Mar 2005

Yeah but does it really sound better than an oppo DVD player?

I met a guy down the pub who has a brother who works for a company that delivers parcels to Meridian - and he reckons that if your house was burning down and you ran past your player and then another system with the oppo - you could not tell the difference.

he hee! Very nice, the signatures may be a little over the top but hey I take photos of the tray door on my little player so I can't talk.

Have huge amounts of fun. You have to invite me over to have a listen should I ever make it to South Africa. Not completely out of the question now that the world cup will be there.

Comment

• ShadowZA
                                                              Super Senior Member
                                                              • Jan 2006

...Have huge amounts of fun. You have to invite me over to have a listen should I ever make it to South Africa. Not completely out of the question now that the world cup will be there.
                                                              Thanks Briz. You're very welcome to pop in, mate. And (I fear that I can only mention this here ... :twisted: ) who cares who wins the world cup ... if it's Oz ... then we'll celebrate with some great sounds (and I'll get solace from same sounds) ... if the Boks win, we'll do the same (solace rolls reversed but same sounds). Should some other team win ... hey ... nothing that a good bit of sound can't fix.

Of course ... the 808 will sound better if the Boks win.

Comment

• Kobus
                                                                • Aug 2005

Very nice Shadow.

Happy for you, have fun.

Kobus

ps: Are you going to build a new equipment now?

Comment

• ShadowZA
                                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                                  • Jan 2006

Very nice Shadow.

Happy for you, have fun.

Kobus

ps: Are you going to build a new equipment now?
                                                                  Thank you Kobus.

I've fairly much arrived at a place that I've wanted to be for a long time now. Goal setting became complicated ever since the decision was made to combine audio with home theatre. I often yearn for the simplicity (if you could call it that) of pure unadulterated reference quality stereo audio without having to consider the concept of home theatre. Instead, the hi-fi lounge is the family entertainment room and seeks to pleasure the senses on both the home theatre front as well as audio. I do not have a plan to build a dedicated audio room although I drool at the thought. The dream: The 808, a pair of Krell Evolution 900 power amps and a pair of B&W 800D's - that's all ... oh yes ... and a handful or two of some great smooth jazz CD's.
                                                                  Last edited by ShadowZA; 22 August 2007, 09:33 Wednesday. Reason: updated "the dream"

Comment

• Kobus
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Aug 2005

and a pair of B&W 802D's
                                                                    Oh! so you are not finished yet.

Kobus

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                                                      • Mar 2005

BEAUTIFUL system milestone Shadow and your choice of break-in disc is perfectly dreamy. :T

I agree that a dedicated room separating stereo playback from home cinema would be ideal. Like you I am faced with compromises in a shared system environment too. Don’t get me wrong a pair of 800D sounds incredible with multi-channel formats but the prospect of adding an HTM1D, which I have finally succumbed to doing but not anytime soon, is not for the timid. But it’s the only practical option available to me now and for the day that I move my system into a dedicate room, whenever that may be.

I would rather have a scaled back high-performance system similar to yours for HT duties and leave the 800D for two-channel only. I am less discriminating with HT sources, although as the landscape of HD matures I may shift positions. While my system sounds great, even without a dedicated center, I thoroughly admire and envy what you have done with yours.

Nicely done Shadow! Please, enjoy another smooth jazz selection on me. ;b> :B

Comment

• ShadowZA
                                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                                        • Jan 2006

BEAUTIFUL system milestone Shadow and your choice of break-in disc is perfectly dreamy. :T

I agree that a dedicated room separating stereo playback from home cinema would be ideal. Like you I am faced with compromises in a shared system environment too. Don’t get me wrong a pair of 800D sounds incredible with multi-channel formats but the prospect of adding an HTM1D, which I have finally succumbed to doing but not anytime soon, is not for the timid. But it’s the only practical option available to me now and for the day that I move my system into a dedicate room, whenever that may be.

I would rather have a scaled back high-performance system similar to yours for HT duties and leave the 800D for two-channel only. I am less discriminating with HT sources, although as the landscape of HD matures I may shift positions. While my system sounds great, even without a dedicated center, I thoroughly admire and envy what you have done with yours.

Nicely done Shadow! Please, enjoy another smooth jazz selection on me. ;b> :B
                                                                        Thank you, RebelMan.

I think that you have made the best choice in the midst of a tough decision-making process regarding the HTM1D. I feel certain that it will provide the closest perfect match to your beautiful 800D's (the only exception might be another 800D for the centre - but that would represent a practical anomaly). In the meantime, hang in there & keep playing some Sweet (think Kelly ) sounds. [Btw, I've ordered her CD "We are one" - it should hopefully arrive next week].

Like you, I am also less discriminating with HT sources and like you, I know that the future represents change. As HD matures I feel that there will be more decision-making processes ahead. When? I have no idea exactly. In the meantime I'm enjoying the here-and-now and feel relieved that there are sufficient well-recorded studio CD's out there that cater to our smooth jazz tastes.

It's 11.30pm here and at around 8.30pm I listened to some more of Stacey Kent ... in the dark. Awesome, I tell you. Turning off the lights enables a total focus on the music. No visuals to distract.

I'll take up your offer & play some Marc Antoine tomorrow eve. Thanks again for the heads-up. Keep on playin' those smooth sounds too. :T

Comment

• Kobus
                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                          • Aug 2005

I meant "new equipment rack" ....
                                                                          sorry, not sure about that error

Kobus

Comment

• ShadowZA
                                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                                            • Jan 2006
                                                                            • 1098

I meant "new equipment rack" ....
                                                                            sorry, not sure about that error

Kobus
                                                                            Kobus, I'm glad that you mention this as I found it to be a bit of a nightmare. As you know, regarding the present rack, everything was fine until ... :lol:

The 808 is a big unit and there is simply no space for it on the original rack. What I did was have a special table made up (blackwood - which matches the CD rack on the right side of the room which is also made of blackwood). This table rests on spikes and the sub fits snuggly underneath.

When the 808 is playing, sound passes through the Krell pre-amp section of the processor to the power amps. I have chosen not to utilise the processor and include the sub for critical listening and so the sub is always off when playing the 808. I have the 808 set to "fixed" (such that the volume is controlled via the Krell processor) as opposed to having it set to "variable" which would mean that one would control the volume via the 808 & the balanced analogue outs would then feed directly to the power amp.

The setup (rack & spiked table) seems to work well. The table is an afterthought though.

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                                                              • Mar 2005
                                                                              • 3139

#39
                                                                              I feel certain that it will provide the closest perfect match to your beautiful 800D's (the only exception might be another 800D for the centre - but that would represent a practical anomaly). In the meantime, hang in there & keep playing some Sweet (think Kelly ) sounds. [Btw, I've ordered her CD "We are one" - it should hopefully arrive next week].
                                                                              You're right on with the third 800D so the HTM1D will have to do, and nicely I am sure. Kelly will sound so Sweet coming from your new 808 Signature. Believe me when I tell you she does not disappoint!

In the meantime I'm enjoying the here-and-now and feel relieved that there are sufficient well-recorded studio CD's out there that cater to our smooth jazz tastes.

It's 11.30pm here and at around 8.30pm I listened to some more of Stacey Kent ... in the dark. Awesome, I tell you. Turning off the lights enables a total focus on the music. No visuals to distract.
                                                                              Indeed! I was just listening to Four80East's latest CD "En Route" before the monsoon brought on a shower of lightning and I was forced to disconnect. IMO, nothing is more musically gratifying than that moment when all of your senses are wrapped around and immersed with deliciously smooth melodies. Like you I find the utopian experiences present when the room is calm and in complete darkness with only the music present. It gives me goose bumps just thinking about it. Man I love that feeling!

I'll take up your offer & play some Marc Antoine tomorrow eve.
                                                                              Perfect. Be sure to queue up one of my favorites - "Latin Quarter"

Comment

• Briz vegas
                                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                                • Mar 2005
                                                                                • 1199

#40
                                                                                Thanks Briz. You're very welcome to pop in, mate. And (I fear that I can only mention this here ... :twisted: ) who cares who wins the world cup ... if it's Oz ... then we'll celebrate with some great sounds (and I'll get solace from same sounds) ... if the Boks win, we'll do the same (solace rolls reversed but same sounds). Should some other team win ... hey ... nothing that a good bit of sound can't fix.

Of course ... the 808 will sound better if the Boks win.
                                                                                I was referring to the round ball game ie Bafana Bafana not Boks. Easily made mistake at the vast majority of Aussies prefer the other game as well. I just love the international flavour and amazing skills on show with the world game (providing there is no play acting to get the refs attention).

I think it will sound great regardless. After hearing a friends Krell integrated I am also wondering about the 2250. Awful lot of cash when you don't have much to spash around - maybe in 12 months or so things will be different.

I saw Supersport United play Brisbane's Roar a couple of weeks back. I have to say that your guys struggled a little against the local lads, 4-1 to the Roar. If only our national team were playing as well in the Asian Cup - we have done quite poorly so far.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                Search Result for "|||"