Lots of hum with new Behringer EP1500 amp...help please.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dotay
    • Oct 2004

Lots of hum with new Behringer EP1500 amp...help please.

I purchased a Behringer EP1500 amp a couple months ago to run my 15" Avalanche sub but I haven't actually played it since my sub wasn't done yet. I had planned on changing out the fan with a quieter one but it turns out it had a different connector than the one I had bought. Refer to this thread for more details.

Bottom line is I think I have a problem with this amp.:M I am getting a ton of hum when I turn up the volume and from doing some reading it's reminiscent of what I would imagine a ground loop would sound like. When I turn up the volume on the amp the hum gets louder and I hear very little of the actual music that I should be hearing. I have tried running it bridged and single channel on both of the inputs and it's the same thing each time. I went out and bought a plug converter thingy that goes from the 3 prong to 2 prong and that completely eliminated the hum when I ran it through my surge protector. I however didn't gain any actual volume when I was playing music. I tried plugging it into another outlet (the original outlet I tested it on) and even with the 2 prong plug I was getting massive hum. This is the same outlet that I had my previous sub plugged into (Dayton 10" powered sub) and I never had any of the problems with hum.

When I had it opened I really didn't fiddle around with anything since the fan I was going to use to replace the stock fan with wasn't going to fit. The only thing that changed from when I first opened it is that I moved the wire that was running from the side of the circuit board to the fan.

Image not available

Black wire is pointed out by the yellow arrow, green line is the original path of the wire. Is it possible that I'm picking up some feedback between this wire and the inputs that are right beside it?

When I put everything back together I hooked this wire back up like it was before I took the cover off. Since I have had problems I reopened the case to see if any wires had pulled loose and everything seems to be in order. The only place I can think of that I could possibly think of that might be causing a problem (other than simply having a bad amp) is the RCA to 1/4" connector although I doubt that's the problem. I am probably going to try and make a warranty claim on it unless there is something easy that I'm missing that I could easily fix. The only problems I see with this is the fact that I've actually opened up the case (this voids the warranty according to the manual...DOH!) and that I'm passed the 45 day return from the place I bought it. The amp does have a 1 year warranty on it assuming I didn't screw myself by opening the thing up.

On a side note...the Avalanche 15" is truly amazing.:T I have it running off the amp from my 10" dayton (~100 Watts) and this thing puts out what I would consider to be an incredible amount of bass considering how much power I'm feeding it. I was watching U-571 and I discovered that I'm going to have to do a little rattle elminating once I get this thing fully operational. I really can't imagine what it's going to be like once I actually get a full 1200 watts pumping through it. :E
    Last edited by theSven; 01 October 2023, 19:43 Sunday. Reason: Update url
  • Stoney
    • Dec 2004

In the picture the wire appears to be running outside of the case. Where does the other end connect to?
    Emotiva UPA-700 Amp
    Emotiva UMC 200 pre/pro
    B&W DM605 S2 Mains
    DM602 S2 Surrounds
    DM601 S2 Rear Surrounds
    CC6 S2 Center.
    ASW 1000 Sub

Comment

• Dotay
      • Oct 2004

Originally posted by Stoney
      In the picture the wire appears to be running outside of the case. Where does the other end connect to?
      Yeah, it's not like that now. I just wanted it out of the way while I was taking the pics so the other end wouldn't touch anything and create a short or something like that. The other end connects to one of the screws that hold the fan in place. There is a small fan shroud that isn't picture that a long screw connects to to hold the fan and the shroud in place. This wire attaches on the screw between the shroud and the fan. The path of the wire is the green line I drew in PS.

Comment

• Stoney
        • Dec 2004

I wonder if the conductor of the wire broke when it was moved. Can you use an OHM meter to check for a connection from the screw to the connection at the circuit board? The wire seems to be a ground or shield connection. You might also check for connection of the screw and wire to chassis ground.
        Emotiva UPA-700 Amp
        Emotiva UMC 200 pre/pro
        B&W DM605 S2 Mains
        DM602 S2 Surrounds
        DM601 S2 Rear Surrounds
        CC6 S2 Center.
        ASW 1000 Sub

Comment

• DeanP
          • May 2004

I had the same problem with my Rotel amp when I first got it. I had it plugged into an outlet that wasn't grounded properly so I changed locations and plugged it into another outlet that was properly grounded and the humm went away.
          The bad outlet was confirmed when I bought my Tripp-Lite HT bar and it indicated a bad ground.

BTW My old plate amp sub indicated no humm also.

Comment

• Dotay
            • Oct 2004

Yeah, I was able to eliminate the hum by using the the two prong adapter but the output of the amp still is pretty much non existent. My 100 watt plate amp turned up half way probably has 4 times the output as the EP1500 bridged fully cranked.

Comment

• Gerald Jansen
              • Sep 2005

Maybe it's time to return the unit using your warranty?

Comment

• Dotay
                • Oct 2004

Originally posted by Gerald Jansen
                Maybe it's time to return the unit using your warranty?
                Yeah, that's a last resort. I'm hoping it might be something small that I haven't checked yet that I can fix myself.

Is there anyway to use a multimeter to check certain components in the amp to see if they're working? Maybe checking the output of the speaker terminals to see what kind of wattage the amp is actually putting out.

Comment

• Stoney
                  • Dec 2004

You could measure the voltage at the speaker terminals and calculate the rough output wattage. I think P=E2/R (power=voltage squared divided by resistance) is the correct formula.
                  But you can hear that the output isn't what it should be. If you are using the same input as the other amp, the output should be there.
                  Emotiva UPA-700 Amp
                  Emotiva UMC 200 pre/pro
                  B&W DM605 S2 Mains
                  DM602 S2 Surrounds
                  DM601 S2 Rear Surrounds
                  CC6 S2 Center.
                  ASW 1000 Sub

Comment

• thylantyr
                    • Nov 2004

The only place I can think of that I could possibly think of that might be causing a problem (other than simply having a bad amp) is the RCA to 1/4" connector

If you don't wire your unbalanced to balanced 'preamp' connection
                    properly, the amp won't operate well.

Post a schematic of how you wired it.

Comment

• ThomasW
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

Several of the people on the "Cult" form have gotten confused with the settings on the back of the amp. The result is low output. Here's the text I posted about the proper settings.

PLEASE NOTE: The big DIP switch on the back of the EP-1500/2500 amps have +/- marks molded into plastic housing. These molded in markings are opposite the settings that are screened in white paint on the back of the amp. Follow the +/- white painted on the graphics, DO NOT use the markings molded into the plastic on the switch itself when setting up the amp..

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Dotay
                        • Oct 2004

Originally posted by thylantyr
                        If you don't wire your unbalanced to balanced 'preamp' connection
                        properly, the amp won't operate well.

Post a schematic of how you wired it.
                        The way I have it wired is I've got a standard single RCA sub cable exiting from the RCA sub out on my receiver into an RCA to 1/4" adapter. This 1/4" plug is going into input 1 in the back of the EP1500. This is the way I had read was the proper way to feed the signal from a sub out to a pro amp but I didn't know if maybe there was a better/different/right way to connect this.

Originally posted by ThomasW
                        Several of the people on the "Cult" form have gotten confused with the settings on the back of the amp. The result is low output. Here's the text I posted about the proper settings.
                        Thanks a bunch. :T I'll def have to check out how I've got the dip switches set up.

Comment

• Dotay
                          • Oct 2004

:M :M :M

I'm either don't know what the hell I'm doing, am really dumb, or have a bad amp (at this point I'm almost hoping it's the amp ops: ) .I like to think of myself as knowing a good deal about audio stuff and I feel like I'm pretty good at following instructions and reading directions yada yada yada. The thing still isn't working like I think it should. :M I've tried about every dip switch combination I can think of that would make sense and then tried the direct opposite of all of those combinations trying to take into account what Thomas said about things being backwards. I took some pics of the back of my amp so hopefully if I'm doing something wrong you guys can help me better with some pictoral evidence.

Based on the manual...

Image not available

These are how I think I should have the switches set up with the low cut filter turned off(I put a green colored dot next to the switches in the on position so you can see it better)...

Image not available

I have the speaker wire hooked up as follows...

Image not available

Is this how I should have things hooked up? I've tried about everything I can think of without success. Any help?
                          Last edited by theSven; 30 September 2023, 21:22 Saturday. Reason: Remove broken image links

Comment

• Joe L.
                            • Aug 2005

Originally posted by Dotay
                            Is this how I should have things hooked up? I've tried about everything I can think of without success. Any help?

Could it be that the input level required by the pro-amplifier (+3.4db) is a lot more than you are feeding it from your reciever (-10db)? As a result of the low input level you are not getting much output. If this is the case there is nothing wrong with your amplifier and you need a "preamp/interface" to match the output level of your pre/pro LFE output to that needed by the behringer.

Here is one such "level shifter/preamp" http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/...d/36853?netp=1

Comment

• MDJones
                              • Sep 2005

What is the channel 2 gain set at? Just something else to check:

"To prevent signal cancellation due to internal phase inversion, the GAIN control belonging to channel 2 must be turned to its left most position." ~manual

Comment

• Wayne E
                                • May 2004

It looks like you're running the amp in "bridged" mode, which is fine. However, just for giggles, why not just run one output channel (e.g. - output #1) and see how things perform.

I had a little configuration issue with my Nady amp. All the documentation describing how to connect the amp in bridged mode was out of whack. When I ran a single channel, the performance was great. When I had a bit more time to mess with things, I figured out the right settings for bridged mode, and things got even better.

Plus, if you're running just a single channel, you could flip between #1 and #2 to see if just one of the channels is bad with your amp.

Comment

• Dotay
                                  • Oct 2004

Joe L.: I guess it's possible that my receiver isn't supplying enough output for the pro-amp to properly process the signal. I'll have to play around with the levels a bit more to see what I can find.

MDJones: The gain for channel two is zeroed per the manual.

Wayne E: I've tried several different configurations at one point or another and I know I've tried it as one channel. It could be that my dip switches weren't 100% right at the time of trying the single channel so I'll try and play around with that some more too.

If anyone that actually has the EP1500 can tell me how you have your dip switches set I think that could really help me out. I have a few friends that are musicians so I might see if they have any monitors or something like that so I can test to see if it works in a pro-audio environment. This would at least be able to tell me if it is indeed a problem with the source I'm feeding it...

Comment

• ThomasW
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Aug 2000

Here's a link to a thread on the "Cult" forum where this situation was discussed.
                                    Behringer Amp Thread

Also just to make sure the RCA>1/4" adapters you're using are mono and pushed in all the way, correct? I know you posted a link, but the ones in the link don't look like the ones your using. If stereo adapters are used the problem is exactly what you're describing

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Dotay
                                      • Oct 2004

Originally posted by ThomasW
                                      Here's a link to a thread on the "Cult" forum where this situation was discussed.
                                      Behringer Amp Thread

Also just to make sure the RCA>1/4" adapters you're using are mono and pushed in all the way, correct? I know you posted a link, but the ones in the link don't look like the ones your using. If stereo adapters are used the problem is exactly what you're describing
                                      I'm not sure exactly what the difference is. Is this the one stripe vs two stripe thing?

Comment

• thylantyr
                                        • Nov 2004

stereo plug;

Click image for larger version

Name:	1%204%20in%20Stereo%20Plug%20Sheilded.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	949360

mono plug;
                                        the link you posted
                                        Last edited by theSven; 30 September 2023, 21:23 Saturday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• Dotay
                                          • Oct 2004

Originally posted by thylantyr
                                          stereo plug;

Click image for larger version  Name:	1%204%20in%20Stereo%20Plug%20Sheilded.jpg Views:	0 Size:	18.4 KB ID:	949360

mono plug;
                                          the link you posted

OK, I'm pretty sure mine are mono then. I actually bought one of the ones I linked but I thought maybe I had a bad adapter when I was trouble shooting the hum. I then bought one from radio shack and they are both the mono versions I believe.
                                          Last edited by theSven; 30 September 2023, 21:24 Saturday. Reason: Update quote

Comment

Working...
                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                          Search Result for "|||"