McIntosh MA6900 driving B&W 703s (issue)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Michael Bishop
    • Jun 2006

McIntosh MA6900 driving B&W 703s (issue)

Greetings. This is my first post with HTGuide.

I have a McIntosh MA6900 integrated amplifier. I have it connected to a pair of B&W 703 speakers. I'm using the 8 ohm taps on the amp. The amp also provides 2 and 4 ohm taps and uses something called "Autoformers" to deal with different speaker impedances. The B&W 703s are rated at an 8 ohm nominal impedance (with a local minimum of 3 ohms). The CD transport is a Sony CDP-X77ES.

The sound is fantastic. Best 2-channel audio system I've ever owned. However, an issue did come up.

I was playing some drum-heavy music for about 20 minutes at a moderately loud volume, when the amp shut down and the Power Guard LEDs illuminated on the amp. The shutdown appears to be thermal-related. The heat sinks were hot to touch, and the back top portion of the amp was quite warm. After about 10 minutes, the Power Guard lights went out, and the amp started working again. During the initial listening period, however, I did not sense that the speakers were being overdriven at all. Everything sounded fine until the shutdown occurred.

I contacted McIntosh about this incident. They suggested moving the speaker cables to the 4 ohm taps on the amp. Well, I've done that, but I've been a little leary of driving the amp as hard/loud as before. So far, the incident has not recurred, but I'm wondering if it would if I turned up the amp to the level it was at before.

My question for McIntosh/B&W owners out there - have you experienced anything similar? Did moving the speaker cables to the lower ohm taps remedy the problem for you?

Thanks for your kind responses.
    Regards,
    Michael Bishop
  • jlr_1304
    • Aug 2005

Some newer MAC amps are reported to do the same, even the MC501. MAC was sold to a japanese cie 2-3 years ago, if i remebere well.

I was recommended to hook the 4 ohms section of my monoblocs to N802, instead of hte 8 ohms. Of course, they are not the same, but B&W speakers loves high power.

There souldnt be any problems driving your speakers with the 4 ohms output.

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"