X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sikoniko
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2003

A Q&A with Dave Nauber from Classe

UPDATE: Since we are doing a new Q&A, I thought I would bump this up in case anyone missed it the first time. A good way to see what has already been asked.

Hello everyone,

As you know, Dave Nauber offered an intimate Q&A with the members of Club Classe.

Below are the first round results of the Q&A. There will be one round of follow-up offered. I'd like to set the cut-off to Friday April 24th.

I want to express how glad I am to see how well thought-out these questions are, and the care and time Dave took to respond to them. Its great that a company, like Classe, will extend this level of communication.

Please note that the premise of some questions may be false, based on rumor or supposition or just plain lack of knowledge. Please take no offence, and try to correct our understanding.

__________________________________________________ ______________

A brief note from Dave

Hi Dan,

I would like to again offer my thanks [...] to those who participated for asking the questions and being engaged on Club Classé. I represent a small but dedicated and enthusiastic team of audio lovers here at Classé and we are all interested in making our products the best they can be. Close contact with those who actually buy and use our products is an invaluable tool for our work.

I look forward to your collective feedback.

Regards,

Dave Nauber
    Exec. VP, Brand Development
    Classé
    SSP-800 / Classe Pre-Pro's:

How Does it...
    Q. With respect to the SSP 800 what exactly is it doing to a PCM signal which sets it apart from other SSPs? I assume that the DACs alone is not what separates the 800 from other SSPs.

A. PCM (Pulse Code Modulation) is the most common form of digital audio. It appears fairly simple, consisting of the data and the clocks. The data can be either a one or a zero, while the bit clock defines the moment when transitions between ones and zeros may occur. The basic idea is that you want the data to be accurate and the timing to be precise so that the signal gets put back together (turned into analog) exactly as it was taken apart (sampled into the digital domain).

Since cheap digital audio products can actually work, we know it isn’t particularly expensive to get sound from a digital circuit. What is exponentially more difficult and expensive, however, is getting that last few percent of performance. This where the magic in high-end audio has always been.

It’s hard to be both specific and complete when there are so many factors that contribute to the overall performance of the SSP-800. I can site specific examples like the processing power of the Texas Instruments DSP.

HD Audio involves more data than ever, so data integrity is a feature of processing power. Try to express the fraction 1/3 in the digital domain. You have 0.33333…, which is an example of the fact that digitization involves approximation. With HD Audio, we are handling more data than ever and performing more calculations than ever. Having a DSP which can do many different tasks while also maintaining the highest precision was one of the objectives of the SSP-800 design. We use a Texas Instruments platform which can process at up to 1800 Million Instructions per Second (MIPS). Compare that with the most common DSP used in other processors (including one costing over $20,000) and you’ll find them using a 300 MIPS part. Decoding Dolby TrueHD can use up about 270 MIPS, not leaving enough for EQ or other processor intensive post-processing functions. The TI processor works in 64-bit double-precision mode with floating point arithmetic (the decimal point can float anywhere in the number, giving small numbers higher accuracy). All this is to say that today, the SSP-800 has a monster of a processing engine. When the new dual DSP board is released, we will use a newer DSP chip, capable of up to 2800 MIPS—and there will be two of them.

Other topics for discussion could be the masterful way power and ground are distributed within the 6-layer mother board, or how circuit trace lengths are calculated and optimized, or the use of LVDS (Low Voltage Differential Signaling) to minimize jitter (timing errors in the clock) and eliminate common ground between digital and analog signal paths. There’s also our sample rate conversion and re-clocking of the signals entering the DACs, etc. But the key to it all is attention to detail throughout the design. I’m sure there are also some details I can’t point out because our engineers have tended to them without even consciously thinking about it. Like a chef in a familiar kitchen, certain methods come naturally to an experienced professional.

We also consider the reliability and stability of the design and whether digital circuits create radiated or conducted noise that detracts from the performance of other nearby circuits. However, everything we do has a single clearly defined purpose: to supply the DACs with exactly what they need (accurate, precisely timed data and an incredibly low noise floor to allow the highest possible resolution and dynamic range).

The SSP-800 is special, but it does not owe that quality to any one part. I guess the cooking analogy works pretty well. Different chefs may have access to the same ingredients but come up with different results. Some are clearly better than others and sometimes two dishes might both be judged to be good, but the results appeal to different tastes. Using a more expensive wine in a reduction won’t necessarily improve its flavor or texture, so it’s both the ingredients and how they are used that matters. In the end we use our own senses to decide what works and what doesn’t. The DACs themselves are only one (although not unimportant) factor in the overall results.

Hardware
    Q. Why not use the 1792 for all channels in such a high-end product, when some competitors appear to do so? Were certain tests performed to confirm no loss of quality using 1796? Especially since the difference in cost is negligable ($10 or so).

A. We believe that the total cost of parts in the SSP-800 is higher than any other processor priced below $10,000. In addition to spending a lot on parts, we are careful to allocate our Bill of Materials (BOM) budget by putting money where we find the most benefit. Although it is a high quality processor, the SSP-800 is not a cost-no-object product. We do not spend an extra $50 or even $5 on parts unless they return a comparable value in performance and/or reliability. Ultimately, each part is selected for its contribution to reaching our design goals.

The Burr Brown PCM1792 is used for the L, R, C, Sub, AUX1 and AUX2 channels. The PCM1796 is a pin-compatible package with the same silicon/structure as the 1792, so it was a simple matter for us to legitimately compare the two DACs in all locations. Our professional judgment was that the 1796s delivered maximum value in the Surround and Rear locations.

Q. Why did Classe not setup the 1792 DACs in dual-differential like the CDP-202 and the SSP-900?

A. The SSP-900 was a cost-no-object project, so it is worth noting that the SSP-800 uses the 1792 DACs in the same configuration as was intended for the SSP-900.

The CDP-202 is a superlative CD player. It uses 1792s in mono-mode and has separate DACs for the single-ended outputs, which we did not do in the SSP-800. The CDP and SSP have fundamentally different roles to play. They are fundamentally different designs and pointing out that the DACs are used differently is a good way of showing how we allocate the BOM budget in different ways depending on the design goals.

Inputs/Outputs
    Q. With the SSP 800 being Classe Flagship Processor why ony 4 HDMI inputs?
    Would you consider making a video board in the future that could be swapped out with the current board that offered more HDMI and fewer Component inputs?

A. I should begin by saying that the SSP-800 is indeed our flagship, but with the eventual discontinuation of the SSP-300, it will become our entry-level SSP as well as our flagship!

We obviously thought quite a bit about this before deciding on the I/O configuration of the SSP-800. Certainly the SSP-800 has fewer analog inputs and outputs than other SSPs, and this was done in recognition of the fact that sources and displays today are all migrating toward digital connections. Analog connections remain for compatibility with legacy devices. There is also a cost savings associated with fewer inputs and outputs, and the chassis can be 6” tall instead of 8”.

We fully accept that the SSP-800 will not have every feature or provide every connection that any customer could want. We make this conscious decision to both limit the expense of the product and improve its performance and reliability. As we debated how many HDMI inputs, we concluded that the only sources that we absolutely needed HDMI for were HD-DVD and Blu-ray players. We want the audio from these sources arriving at the SSP-800 on HDMI. For all other sources, SPDIF is the standard connection and this can be handled by coax or optical.

For convenience, we expect a set top box (cable or satellite) will also be connected on HDMI and perhaps a dedicated high-performance DVD player like a CDP-300 or maybe a game console. Once you’ve connected those sources, well over 90% of the users have exhausted their supply of HDMI source components. For those few who have more than four, it’s probable that the fifth or sixth most important video source is older (maybe DVI?) and could just as well be handled on component video.

Alternatively, sources that do not require HDMI for audio may be connected directly to additional inputs on the display or handled through an outboard switcher. These latter cases represent a very small minority of users and for them, there is really no performance compromise, just a little added expense or complication. We chose this approach rather than adding the cost burden for everyone to bear.

It might be worth adding here that all high-end companies, no matter how large or successful, are very small compared with the big CE giants. We pay more for basic parts than the big guys do, so adding more HDMI connectors and the associated switching capability (at our quality level) is simply more expensive. If we choose to pay for the extra features, we must either charge more or take money out of other areas. We don’t expect everyone everywhere will agree with the choices we’ve made, but so far, we seem to have done pretty well with the SSP-800.

As for the question of a possible upgrade for additional HDMI inputs, sorry, but the answer is no. The only hardware upgrade paths that really make sense are those which are completely understood and planned for in advance, such as our dual DSP board replacement. You need to know how much space, how much power, how much heat, etc. that the future board will require, consume and generate, etc. before you can know if what you’re selling today can be upgraded. You also need to know how the signals and power will be connected. Unless everything is clearly understood in advance, you will almost surely compromise performance and reliability when it comes to the upgrade. You will also add costs to units being sold today on the chance that additional power or connections or space may be required in the future, so the value proposition goes sideways very quickly in modular designs. They seem like a way to save money over time but they really don’t.

Our approach is to design the SSP for as long a shelf life as we can practically imagine but to limit the future hardware ambition. In this way the product offers the best value, performance and reliability for everyone who buys it.

Q. Could you describe the topology? In particular, is it correct that for the balanced outputs, each DAC of the channel’s pair feeds one of the two output polarities? And for single-ended outputs, is the signal driven from just the + DAC, or is the analog output configured as a differential stage fed by both the + and – DACs to take advantage of the improved noise floor with such a design?

A. Each PCM 1792 DAC provides differential outputs for two channels, so from the moment of D-to-A conversion onward, the signals are handled as differential signals. For the single-ended outputs, the non-inverting half of the differential signal is used. By using the recommended balanced outputs, you retain those benefits through to the amplifier.

Processing Modes
    Q. Our members are interested to know any thoughts or plans for additional surround processing modes that upmix from 2-ch and 5.1-ch sources. Interest has been expressed in Logic7, Trifield, THX, and Circle Surround. Do your designers/planners audition these various technologies to evaluate their merits? Are they not included because of licensing issues or because they are not sonically desirable?

A. This is potentially a wide ranging discussion, but I’ll try to be concise. Whenever you create new channels where none had existed before, you have compromise. Matrix modes simply can never deliver the same experience as discrete channels can. Having said that, we know that some people really do like to listen to stereo CDs in multichannel and most of us can’t resist choosing a mode that generates rear channel signals from a 5.1 channel source. In other words, these post processing modes have their place, which is why several are included among the modes offered by the SSP-800.

To include (or not) any particular mode depends on several conditions. Does it do what it is supposed to do, does it do it well and do or will enough people really want it? If the answer to any of these is no, we don’t include it.
    There are also practical concerns. Logic 7 is a Harman-owned feature and when I worked for Madrigal in the pre- and early Harman Specialty Group days, Lexicon wouldn’t let us (Mark Levinson and Proceed) have it because we were seen as competitors. Although Harman is now under new management, I doubt their position will have changed. Another factor is that Logic 7 runs on an Analog Devices SHARC platform, so porting it over to our TI platform is not without its own development cost.

Trifield is available for license (not a Meridian-owned technology) but we haven’t had much interest in it. Even THX, which in the days of analog surround made important contributions to standardizing system parameters and helping people understand the difference between a commercial movie theater and home theater, has now become unimportant to most users at the SSP-800 level.

By providing enormous amounts of processing power in the SSP-800, we keep our options open for additional modes like (potentially) Dolby PLIIz and Dolby Volume, both of which we have evaluated and are pleased with, and both of which are beginning to pick up traction among our customers. We still need to determine if there are any hardware limitations (I don’t think there are) or if they will be too costly (we hope Dolby will be gentle with us), but they would be on my short list of future feature enhancements for the SSP-800.

Q. While no one has yet requested Neural 7.1, now that they are owned by DTS, and DTS (Neo:X) and Dolby (PLIIz) are both talking about additional channels, height and width, your thoughts on that would also be appreciated.

A. As I alluded to above, we believe the hardware will support the routing of other new channels to the AUX1 and AUX2 outputs. It is a little early to make any commitments, other than to say we are interested in some additional modes and are looking into the details. None are planned until after the dual DSP board is released.

Q. Could the AUX channels be used to support the Front High channels in Dolby PLIIz (or DTS's new format) or is there a hardware limitation that would prevent this?

A. As above. I don’t expect a hardware limitation, but it’s too early to say with confidence.

Q. Would it be possible to add Dolby Headphone processing? The lack of a headphone jack isn't necessarily a roadblock. Some processors use the "zone 2" outputs for the headphone signals—and Classe could use the Aux outs. If not DH, then some other suitable binauralizer process. Listening to "in the head" sound isn't that natural, and 5.1 downmixed to 2 often entails additional compromises, like reduced dynamics and loss of LFE. DH avoids that.

A. I don’t know what DH requires of the processor, but it’s not a feature very often requested. Many people are already using the AUX channels for bi-amping, subwoofers or down-mixing, so the DH users would be a subset of those who aren’t yet using the AUX channels. I’m not ruling it out, just saying it hasn’t risen to the level of consumer demand that would justify the project.

Q. There is interest in THX, and Dolby Volume. Will you add these in the future. If no, why not?

A. We launch a product like an SSP-800 with the features we feel it must or should have, then listen to what the market tells us. Our older SSPs were THX units and as the sources have moved toward digital and discrete, fewer and fewer people were using it.

We polled our dealers when the SSP-800 was in development and they suggested that it was no longer necessary. Like paying extra for parts that you don’t need or features that few people use, every additional mode has costs associated with it. Sometimes there are royalties and almost always there are incremental development and support costs.

THX is not an a-la-carte proposition so it’s not a matter of adding a mode and being done with it. In the case of Dolby Volume, there seems to be more interest, but it’s on the back burner until we get the dual DSP board done.

Q. Could you confirm the basic operation of Classe’s Music Plus and Movie Plus modes? Do we have it right that for 2-ch sources, Classe's Music Plus and Movie Plus is similar to Party mode, but instead of equal levels from all speakers, the center and surrounds are attenuated in proportions as on P32 of the manual. There’s no other processing or filtering going on?

A. Not exactly. Party mode simply creates a monaural signal for distribution at equal levels to all speakers. Music Plus and Movie Plus modes are simple methods for taking a stereo source and creating a more enveloping sound field. They are not matrix modes like PLII or Neo: 6, but rather stereo modes with different mixes of front/surround and center channel balance. In the Movie Plus mode, relatively more signal is fed to center and surrounds than is the case with Music Plus. For Movie Plus, the center channel is at 60% (vs. 25% in Music plus) of the front L&R while the surrounds are at the same relative level as the front L&R (vs. a 70%/30% split of L&R/Surr in Music Plus mode). If you have them, rear channels are at 15% of the front L&R levels in both modes. Keep in mind that your relative attenuation of each channel in the system also plays into the level you actually hear from each speaker group. We offer the modes because they are a different flavor, preferred by some people on some recordings and simple, easy to execute (as in “essentially free”).

Q. When Dolby True HD and DTS MA become available with the upgrade, we assume all the same post-processing modes and options available for other 5.1 sources remain in full effect. Is that correct?

A. Yes. (Finally, a short answer!).

Q. What does it do with sources like 3-channel or 4 channel SACD or DVD-Audio? In the case of 3-channel SACD, does it keep the center channel? In both cases what does it do with the other output channels? Are they processed or are they silent?

A. The only way an SACD player could deliver more than two channels in the digital domain would be over HDMI. Although the hardware could technically support DSD over HDMI, we don’t do it because you’d have to convert the DSD signal to PCM for processing and D-to-A conversion. For DSD, this is literally throwing the baby out with the bath water. We provide multichannel analog inputs for this scenario, because you want the SACD player to do all the processing, keeping everything DSD until the moment of D-to-A conversion. We do not process these analog inputs because your SACD player should provide whatever multichannel processing you need for your system. Playing SACDs and converting them to PCM (as some players do) or worse yet, converting them to analog and then back to digital PCM for processing and then back to analog seems a terrible waste.

For four-channel DVDs, the post-processing algorithms from Dolby and DTS can be used to create the extra channels in your system configuration. I don’t know how their algorithms work, but you can use them with these sources.

Q. Would Classe consider expanding the ability of their upmixers to process 3-ch L-C-R sources (i.e., RCA Living Stereo recordings)? This could be done either by means of new surround processors (Like DL7 or Trifield) or possibly by means of PLII/PLIIx which we understand from Dolby would be a relatively minor engineering task.

A. If I had a Living Stereo three channel LCR recording, I think that’s the way I would listen to it. That’s my initial reaction anyway.

AutoEQ
    Q. Our members are keen to hear more thoughts and background on the current PEQ and any future potential for automated room EQ. Members do understand the issues with of existing solutions from Audyssey (inconsistency, inability to tweak except the Pro version—which requires a Pro license), or ARC (some flexibility in bandwidth and room gain). Others appreciate the ability of PEQ to be totally controlled, yet to do so effectively requires a pro (or lots of learning and good tools) as well. Would you be willing to offer Auto-EQ (Audyssey, or Trinnov, for example) as an a-la-carte option for customers as an alternative to, or maybe on top of PEQ, so you don't lose potential customers that feel it is the got-to-have feature?

A. Probably not. I don’t see the benefit of combining automatic and manual EQ. If you need manual adjustments to get it right (which you do), why bother with doing anything automatically?

Classé is and always has been an audio company. We have a love of sound that transcends technology, product and market life cycles, and are home to some of the best designers in the world. As specialists, we sometimes have to take a stand and tell people the truth, even if it’s not what they want to hear and even when it costs us sales.

I think this is just such a case. Rather than expand the feature set so we can sell a few more units to misinformed customers, we are prepared to take a stand against the misinformation and hype. It won’t be the first time!
    To explain our position, we have to start first with what equalization cannot do. Equalization can’t correct a room. Period. Whether automatic or manual, a PEQ can make improvements, but don’t confuse better or different with optimum. Sorry, but there really isn’t a shortcut here. In the hands of a professional, a manual parametric EQ can be a useful tool, but you still need to treat the room, have good speakers with good off-axis response, put them in the right locations, have equally good low-noise, low-distortion electronics, etc. These are the building blocks of great sound.

Sound waves traveling through the air are fragile, volatile and infinitely complex. The software that performs automatic “room correction” is sophisticated indeed, but even if it could exercise judgment, like a human, it wouldn’t be able to overcome the limitations inherent in equalization. So how much do you want to pay for a tool that doesn’t actually do what you want it to do?

We will undoubtedly lose some sales due to misrepresentations of the power of automatic systems. If you take the time to listen to competing models or think logically about the futility of Auto EQ, I think the SSP-800 becomes a pretty obvious choice.

New DSP
    Q. I think that most of us would like to know what the new DSP could be used for besides bitstreaming of codecs. would you share with us what else it WILL be used for that would be great. Also, what are POTENTIAL uses? If we have that information, then we could have an interesting discussion.

A. when the dual DSP board is released the only new feature will be HD bitstream decoding. All other uses would fall into the potential category, such as tone controls, Dolby PLIIz and Dolby Volume. I am also assuming that we’ll have some other modes or enhancements in the future that will utilize the available horsepower, so we aren’t in a hurry to use it up. We expect the SSP-800 to be a current model for years, so it will evolve with the times.

Why was this feature left out?
    Q. DSD Support? Is this something that could be added later?

A. This is not likely. I talked about this earlier in the context of three-channel matrix mode options, but will reiterate a few points. The “benefits” of DSD (SACD) recordings get thrown out once you convert them to PCM. You want to convert DSD signals to analog without ever converting them to PCM. This requires a different digital signal path—all the way up to and including the DACs. This is why adding SACD to a CD player is an expensive proposition if you want to do it right. The only way for a surround processor to optimize DSD performance is to build a parallel digital signal path inside to be used only by those recordings. Seems like sheer madness to me. Just convert it to analog in the player and let us take it from there.

Q. Video Scaler? Since the video board appears to be removeable without removing anything else, could you a-la-carte a video scaler into the SSP-800 like Bryston is offering with the SP3?

A. No, we don’t believe this is the correct/best place to perform the scaling function. In 2009, if an audio company can do scaling better than your video display manufacturer, you probably need a better video display, not another scaler.

Aesthetics
    Q. What would cause classe to do a whole re-design on the Delta series? Is it safe to say Classe wont change the look for some time?

A. Yes, it’s safe to say we will keep the Delta series Industrial Design for some time. We are preparing to launch a Custom Theater series (shown last September at CEDIA) which is developed for custom installations such as rack mount and enclosed cabinets where ease of installation and management of heat are particular problems to solve. These are black/dark grey units in more conventional rectangular chassis. The SSP-800 will be produced in one of these chassis and called a CT-SSP (same price, same everything).

Software
    Q. There have been a few software issues that Classe has been addressing that have prompted new code every couple of months. Where are we in terms of bugs in the software at this point, and how long does Classe see it taking before they are mostly non-existent?

A. There have only been two updates since the September launch and the v1.0.2 code meets your “mostly non-existent” standard for know issues. This means that anyone can buy an SSP-800 and be confident that it will perform beautifully. Our current priority is to focus on the dual DSP update and I think most SSP-800 owners would agree with us on this.

Q. Instead of configuring the processor via OSD are there any plans to provide possibility to do configuration on the pc with the client application? Also do versioning different configurations on the PC and load them into the processor after finished with the setup on the PC?

A. This is something we have discussed but it isn’t a high priority (compared with finishing the dual DSP and the CT series). I can set up an SSP-800 faster from the front panel than I could from a PC, if you include the time to turn the PC on. In other words, I don’t disagree that some dealers would find it useful, but don’t think it’s as important as many of the product features we have been discussing.

Q. Are there any plans to provide other controlling mechanism than Irda or RS-232 like controlling from PC client via USB or Canbus. If canbus, it's usage would require LAN TCP/IP connectivity?

A. No. The RS-232 and USB currently allow bidirectional control which works well for system automation. CAN Bus was never intended for such a broad application, so it is not suitable (nor would it be a real benefit).

Q. What does the Test e-mail option at the Can bus menu mean?

A. There is an outboard box called the Messenger which is currently under development. It connects CAN Bus to your LAN to provide a means for alerting the installer to an amplifier protection circuit event. It does so by sending an email to the installer and Classé over a LAN connection. The test email button is provided for that future application as a way to test that the setup is working properly.

Documentation
    Q. I would like to see more enhanced product documentation at this price range. Some of the discussion and debate could be avoided by extending the depth of documentation e.g. sound processing, etc. It would propably speed up people to get most out of their Classe components as well.

A. I’m not sure why it has anything to do with the price level, but we can try to improve this if given enough feedback. The manual is already over sixty pages (in English only) so we’d rather not to kill any more trees than necessary. I would like to focus on clarifying things that are unclear and adding only those things which truly help someone get more from their SSP-800. Feel free to comment.

Upgrade
    Q. Why is no trade-up offered for existing SSP-300 / SSP-600 customers?

A. If we used the normal cost multipliers for our industry, the SSP-800 would be priced at $11,000. There simply isn’t the margin to do it at $8,000. I am familiar with other SSP upgrade programs and I can assure you that the retail price of the component always has this built into the margin. If we sold the SSP-800 for $14,000 (where it would still be competitive), then we could offer a generous trade and still make good margin. We went for the lower retail with its lower margin instead, since there will not be a lower priced SSP coming from Classé any time soon (if ever). The SSP-800 is both our new entry-level and flagship SSP.

Derivatives
    Q. Are there any plans for a successor to the SSP 300?

A. No. See above. The cost of building truly high-performance SSPs is high and going higher. I doubt the trend will be reversed.

Methodology
    What was Classe's methodology to determining what features would and would not be included in the design and build of the SSP-800?

A. Our design requirements are based on experience, market analysis and feedback from the front lines. We build what we would like for whatever the intended application. We do not try to be all things to all people, but build ultra high-performance components that anyone would be proud to own.

Remote
    I need more than 4 programmable function banks. Could classe devise a way to allow this, such as by using key combinations?

A. The remote control is an example of not being all things to all people. I don’t think there is any one remote that can satisfy the diverse needs of more than about 10% of the users, so we decided to make one of high quality but the most basic functionality. There are after-market remote control solutions all up and down the price spectrum and with the discrete IR codes, you can tailor one to do exactly what you want to do.

CANBUS
    Is it possible to add the display timeout to the Canbus features and turn the Classe amplifier channel light off (not just dimmed) and on in sync with the display time out?

A. No, we need to indicate that the amplifier is on (safety requirement) and distinguish its “operate” mode from its “standby” mode.

Sales
    Q. How many SSP-800’s have sold so far, and is there still a back-order situation?

A. We’ve sold over 500 so far and have been shipping from stock for several months now.

Q. Has the SSP-800 reached or exceeded sales expectations?

A. It’s exceeded our expectations, even without considering the tough economic times we face. The performance and reliability have proven to be exceptional and it has become the high-end processor to buy. We obviously have very limited distribution, so there are other processors getting sold by dealers who don’t have access to Classé, but overall it looks like the SSP-800 has taken a huge share of this very high-end market.
    Last edited by sikoniko; 22 October 2010, 09:50 Friday.
    I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...
  • sikoniko
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2003

Classe and A/V Sources:

Blu-Ray
    Q. In the past we have heard from Classe that the reason the company was not looking to create a Blu-Ray player was based upon not being able to offer value over a PS3. It was announced recently that the cost of licensing for Blu-Ray might be decreased. There has also been a lot of buzz around the Pioneer BDP-09FD over on AVS that it outperforms the PS3 significantly at Audio and Video playback for not just SD, but BD Disc's. Do you still stand firm on not being able to produce a [Blu-Ray] player, which used a digital transport for 1080P/24, and/or bit-streaming audio or converting it to PCM, would not produce better AQ or PQ then something like a PS3? Can you explain why it would not be possible for a player to produce a better PQ or AQ when used as a digital transport? Furthermore, if Classe can justify creating a CDT, wouldn't a BDT have the same justification?

A. There are at least five reasons why we won’t design a Blu-ray player—any one of which could be sufficient to discourage us.

1) We can’t justify the value proposition. Using HDMI out into a properly designed SSP, as you should, there isn’t enough performance improvement available to justify a price of ten or twenty times that of an ordinary player?

2) The product life cycles are too short to recoup our development costs.

3) It would involve an extended support commitment (“the game on my Shrek 7 disc doesn’t work right but it plays fine on my cheap Sony”) that we could not maintain. This is especially true if you re-box (put your name on) someone else’s design, which will be a popular option for high-end companies.

4) The trend is toward online delivery, Blu-ray reign is likely to be half as long as it was for DVD (which was half as long as CD).

5) The opportunity cost is too great. All high-end companies are small and like all companies, we have limited resources. To devote precious development time to a Blu-ray project would prevent us from developing products where we really can make a big difference in performance.

It’s important to understand the reality of Blu-ray vs. DVD. With DVD, you start with so little data that every bit is precious. Extracting ultimate performance from data-poor signals is an art which is why the CDP-502, CDP-300 and CDT-300 remain fantastic investments for all of us who own DVDs and CDs. No Blu ray player outperforms Classe when it comes to DVD or CD playback. However, when you’re talking about HD audio and video transmitted over HDMI, there’s not really a lot left for high-end designers to sink their teeth into.

HDMI is a radical departure from coax, optical or AES/EBU. With HDMI, audio doesn’t flow down the wire in a serial fashion as it does with SPDIF. Audio, video and copy protection packets are created and transmitted with a technique called TMDS (Transition Minimized Differential Signaling). Differential, we know, protects small signals from noise. The Transition Minimized part is the clever bit. Zeros are grouped together and Ones are grouped together prior to transmission in order to minimize the number of transitions the transmitter and receiver must make between zeros and ones. This allows the data to fly down the cable at even higher speeds. The HDMI cable includes among its eighteen conductors, 12 data channels made up of four sets of shielded, twisted pairs of wires. Three of these sets are used for the audio, video and copy protection packets, but they are all mixed together with all three types of data utilizing all three sets of wires simultaneously. At the other end, the data flies out and it’s like taking a drink from a fire hose.

Because the HDMI transmission system is so different, the things that limited performance of SPDIF connections don’t apply in the same way. If you can get a 1080p picture, the relatively small amount of audio data are arriving pretty easily. Once received, jitter attenuation techniques and sample rate conversion effectively isolate the SSP-800 DACs from jitter that would have been present when the disc was read. With a properly designed processor like the SSP-800, you should find minimal if any differences in audio performance between properly working Blu-ray players using HDMI.

When CD was launched there was no shortage of high-end companies touting mechanical stabilization systems because that made sense to those of us who grew up with turntables. Some aspects of their stories were in fact true but many were not. The same will happen with Blu-ray. There will be high-end companies trying to sell Blu-ray players by talking about the extensive jitter reduction on their HDMI transmitters. While it’s possible to make improvements, the audibility of those improvements will be marginal or non-existent through well designed processors such as the SSP-800.

Q. Is the reason for not making a BD player mainly based on the speculation on how long BD may or may not last?

A. Yes, one of the reasons. See answer (4) above.

Audio Server
    Q. Do you have plans to make an audio/video server and do you see it being possible to develop something that would allow people with a BD library to transfer it bit for bit to a server?

A. No. Like the Blu-ray player, we believe the opportunity cost of developing a server would detract from our efforts in areas where we can add more value.

A music server has three components: interface, data storage and signal delivery. Large software corporations are in the best position to develop compelling user interfaces because they can amortize the cost over millions of customers. Cheap, reliable data storage solutions are available from the consumer electronics giants. We don’t add value in these areas and are not going to become a computer company or sell to the masses.

Classé is all about sound. What we want to do is pull your audio off a network, wherever it is stored, and make it sound better than anyone else. We want to add value by acquiring and then rendering audio with our own preamps/processors, performing signal processing, D-to-A conversion, adjust the volume and amplify it. These are the things that we do best and it’s where our efforts are being directed.

Multi-Zone/Multi-Room
    In the future, I see home audio being somewhat hub and spoke, where most stuff is centralized and in the various rooms there are "extenders" that allow playback from centralized sources. Is Classe looking into ways that it can utilize its strengths in audio and HT playback around this type of model? Perhaps, creating 2 channel and HT/multichannel integrated products (for rooms that won't accomodate a full-blown system with lots of sources and amplifiers) that could stream a/v sources to each room over the network from a centralized hub while providing the Classe experience we all love?

A. Yes.

Omega

Q. I read somewhere that the main differentiator between the Delta series and the Omega series is the extra work in the power supply. Is there more to it than that and since we haven’t seen any new Omega series products, will more of that technology trickle down to the next Delta series, or is it somewhat antiquated, or even a different paradigm in engineering, compared to what you are working on now for future products?

A. The Omega series embodies a brute-force approach to amplifier design, where power supplies, output stages and so on are massively over-built. With the Delta series, we took the basic topologies and adapted them to a smaller and more practical chassis design. The Delta series amps exhibit newer technology, at a more affordable price. Most people judge the Delta series amps to be remarkably close in performance to the Omegas, which is a great achievement considering the cost difference.
    Last edited by sikoniko; 16 April 2009, 16:11 Thursday.

Comment

• sikoniko
      Super Senior Member
      • Aug 2003

reserved for future

Comment

• Nolan B
        Super Senior Member
        • Sep 2005

I have 3 questions. Perhaps they could be worded better, so if anyone wants to make suggestions let me know before we count it as an official question.

1.) When I asked about making a BD player I got an answer which I respect that was something along the lines of "we couldn't make something that performs better then a PS3". Although I am VERY skeptical many people who purchased the new Pioneer Elite 09 are claiming it is making improvements for both audio and video even when bit-streaming (see thread below). So here is my 2 part question. Do you still stand firm on not being able to produce a player which when used a digital transport for 10809 24, and/or bit-streaming audio or converting it to PCM would not produce better AQ or PQ then something like a PS3? Can you possibly explain in your own words why it would not be possible for a player to produce a better PQ or AQ when used as a digital transport?

2.) Do you have plans to make an audio/video server and do you see it being possible to develop something that would allow people with a BD library to transfer it bit for bit to a server?

3.) With respect to the SSP 800 what exactly is it doing to a PCM signal which sets it apart from other SSPs?I assume that the DACs alone is not what separates the 800 from other SSPs. Assuming you have the same PCM signal from say a DVD A, or a DTS MA source what does the 800 do with the signal before sending it to the DACs which really separates it from the rest?

Thank you for taking the time to address the questions.

Comment

• Nolan B
          Super Senior Member
          • Sep 2005

Another question.

Are there any plans for a successor to the SSP 300?

Comment

• sikoniko
            Super Senior Member
            • Aug 2003

At this rate Nolan, you will have the only questions asked... I'm surprise noone wants to participate. Dave gave me the option of doing an interview or a Q&A. It appears that the interview might have been the better route. Thanks for your participation. I wanted an opportunity for people to discuss your questions before putting them up there... it looks like people are happy as-is so I'll put them in the top post and that will be what I send to Dave.

Comment

• Nolan B
              Super Senior Member
              • Sep 2005

Originally posted by sikoniko
              At this rate Nolan, you will have the only questions asked... I'm surprise noone wants to participate. Dave gave me the option of doing an interview or a Q&A. It appears that the interview might have been the better route. Thanks for your participation. I wanted an opportunity for people to discuss your questions before putting them up there... it looks like people are happy as-is so I'll put them in the top post and that will be what I send to Dave.

i think its due to just a general slowdown of this discussion area.

Comment

• AV-OCD
                • Aug 2008

OK, I'll add a couple...

1) One of the things I really miss from my Lexicon processor is the Logic 7 processing for creating surround sound from 2CH. While the Classe does offer the standard DPL2 and DTS Neo 6, neither of these are really that good at providing a convincing surround mix from 2CH. They often place instruments and singers into the rear channels which is just distracting. With Logic 7, the soundstage expanded and wrapped around the room without sounding gimmicky. It did a much better job of extracting the ambience of the recording than the Dolby and DTS offerings. I hear that Meridian's TriField processing is also quite convincing. Since the SSP-800 does such a fantastic job with just standard 2CH, I would love to take this experience to the next level by having a matrixed surround mode that is comparable to Logic 7 and Trifield. So, I would like to know if they would consider licensing something like Circle Surround, or some other top-notch surround algorithm. For this to work, they would have to spend some time evaluating the options out there, and probably pick up a Lexicon and Meridian processor to experience what they are up against.

2) My next question is about auto EQ. While I haven't had consistent success with Audyssey, the Anthem ARC solution does seem like it allows for the tune-ability of the manual EQ in the Classe, while also offering an auto function for those that are able to get good results without the need to tweak. I guess I find it a bit surprising that Anthem/Paradigm were able to invest the time and money into developing an EQ as sophisticated the ARC, yet Classe/B&W were not. The manual EQ in the SSP-800 is a workable, but not very elegant or user-friendly solution. B&W is the most successful speaker company on the planet after all, so surely they have the means to develop a more sophisticated EQ. It certainly seems it would be in their best interest to do so, if only to appear to have a competitive EQ solution.

Cheers,

- Tim

Comment

• Oddiophile
                  • Jul 2008

As a Lexicon MC-12B Version 5 EQ owner and a prospective Classe SSP-800 owner I would strongly agree with what Tim has said. Indeed I would like to elaborate on his remarks and add a couple of questions of my own.

Although the SSP-800 is a multichannel processor, most of us have substantial 2-channel collections that are not likely to be replaced in the near future. Therefore it is extremely important that the processor is able to do a good job of creating believable multichannel sound from 2-channel sources.

Tim has given the examples of Lexicon’s Logic7 and Meridian’s Trifield. I have never heard the Meridian (although I have heard that it is quite good). However, I can attest to the excellence of Lexicon’s Logic7. It is true that Dolby Prologic IIx is included with the SSP-800 but as Tim says, it often does not provide a natural surround sound field. Having said that, I have experimented with it and it does a surprisingly good job and is somewhat customizable with the Panorama, Dimension and Center Effect options. Still, to my mind it can only be thought of as a useful supplement to something like Logic&.

Therefore, my first question for Dave Nauber would be:

What does Classe have that would be reasonable equivalent to Logic7 or Trifield? I notice in the SSP-800 that there are 2 modes called Music Plus and Movie Plus that might qualify. Perhaps Dave Nauber can explain what these modes do and how they compare.

I think it would be a great idea for Classe to license something like Logic7. Harman International is in considerable disarray. As a result many of its top people have either left or been let go. A prime example of this is David Greisinger, the brains behind Logic7 who left in November 2008. This is one among many indications that perhaps Harman is either unwilling or unable to develop the Lexicon product line further. Perhaps they would be amenable to licensing Logic7 to Classe. If something like Logic7 were added it would make it almost an irresistible product.

Can Dave comment on this or on the possibility of something like this happening?

I also have some questions as to how the SSP-800 is going to handle multichannel or hirez sources. For example:

1. When Dolby True HD and DTS MA become available with the upgrade what happens when the source is a 5.1 version of these, in other words, what does it do with the extra 2 channels in a 7-channel system? Does it process them on top of the other 5.1 channels or do those 2 channels remain silent.

2. What does it do with sources like 3-channel or 4 channel SACD or DVD-Audio? In the case of 3-channel SACD, does it keep the center channel? In both cases what does it do with the extra channels? Are they processed or are they silent?

3. For that matter, the same questions would apply to 2-channel SACD and DVD-Audio?

We know that an upgrade board is coming soon (I assume that you will ask him as to when it is likely to be available). I think that most of us would like to know what it could be used for besides Dolby TrueHD and DTS-MA. If Dave would tell us what else it WILL be used for that would be great. However, at this stage I am mostly asking about POTENTIAL uses. If we have that information, then we could have an interesting discussion about what we think it should be used for. I am sure Classe would appreciate the input and the suggestions.

I agree very much with Tim’s comments regarding EQ systems. Indeed, I would add the Lexicon EQ to that list.

Therefore, I would like Dave to comment in more detail as to why Classe did the EQ the way they did.

I am checking into a lead as to what B&W has been doing about EQ. If it pans out, I will report back, probably in a separate thread.

Thanks Sikonko for taking this valuable initiative and to Tim and Nolan for their comments.

Jim

Comment

• Srrndhound
                    • Sep 2008

I doubt you'll see Harman license L7 to a product in such direct competition to their own. They consider it one of their strongest differentiating features. And they have introduced a new variant, albeit not for 2-ch but 5.1 processing, DL7. Rumor has it that there was another "super" version in the works, but who knows if that will appear or not.

I consider L7 one of the best of the breed of 2-ch upmixers. It's the only one besides PLIIx to output 7.1, and has been refined over many years by a talented design team. Being that these upmixers are a melding of art and science, there's many interpretations on how to do it. That's why they all sound so radically different (L7, PLIIx, Neo:6, Circle Surround, Neural Surround). Meridian's Trifield and their similar Music Mode are non-logic processors, and also sound quite different from the others. (Meridian is even less likely to license theirs out, I suspect.)

They all have their own sonic signatures, and being it's a matter of pure subjectivity (no meter can show which one is right or wrong), users can play with them and find their favorite poison.

PLII was designed after extensive listening/living with L7, CS, Trifield and Music mode. PLII was designed to hit a different mix of strengths/weaknesses than the others. A good deal of effort went to signal purity and avoiding side-effects -- like tonal colorations, jittery-jumpy sounds or loudness modulations, things that can distract the listener -- and to provide a good effect with a wide range of programs. I feel it does many things better than any of these, but then again, I'm biased, having worked for Dolby and having a hand in PLII's evolution.

I suppose "the more, the merrier" is reasonable since these algorithms are just wee bits of additional code for the DSP ROM, so why not have the lot. But neither L7 or Trifield can be remotely substituted by CS, IMHO.

Classe's Music Plus and Movie Plus are described as similar to Party mode, but instead of equal levels from all speakers, the center and surrounds are attenuated in proportions as on P32 of the manual. Other than the fact that they are also non-logic modes, they probably are not very similar to Meridian's modes. Not saying they are not useful or enjoyable--just different.

Ok, having gone off the trail, let me get back on by proposing a question for Dave. Would it be possible to add Dolby Headphone processing? The lack of a headphone jack isn't necessarily a roadblock. I currently use a Tag McLaren AV32R-DP and drive my external headphone amp from the "zone 2" outputs which handle the DH signals--so they could use the Aux outs. I listen to DH every day, whether from 2-ch (upmixed with PLII) or 5.1 sources, and find it quite beneficial (Ok, my bias again). If not DH, then some other suitable binauralizer process. Listening to "in the head" sound isn't that natural, and 5.1 downmixed to 2 often entails additional compromises, like reduced dynamics and loss of LFE. DH avoids all that.

Thanks.

Comment

• wettou
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • May 2006

Well here are my questions but I feel I already know the ansewrs:

1. Could you please offer Automated EQ like Trinnov =>
                      Classé's answer: No it's rubbish and does't work!

hum check this out then :B

Classé's answer:But sorry, none of them understand true Audio!!

2. Could you please incorporate Dolby IIz
                      Classé's answer:No, who wants more speakers and it's just a gizmo!

3. Could you please include Wi-Fi
                      Classé's answer: No, it's not very good, plus who need's it?

4. Could you please include HDMi SACD DSD support
                      Classé's answer: No, no one listen to SACDs there are no titles available

hum: www.sa-cd.net

5. Could you please include Silicon Optics Realta
                      Classé's answer: No, who needs it just use an Blu Ray player

There you have it :T

And yes I would love to be proven wrong Also Dolby Surround Headphone, Logic 7, THX Ultra 2 would be great but I am not holding my breath. I am so out of Classé.

I am even thinking selling it all and going somewhere else :B
                      Last edited by wettou; 05 April 2009, 17:07 Sunday.
                      Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• Nolan B
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Sep 2005

Originally posted by wettou
                        Well here are my questions but I feel I already know the ansewrs:

1. Could you please offer Automated EQ like Trinnov =>
                        Classé's answer: No it's rubbish and does't work!

hum check this out then :B

Classé's answer:But sorry, none of them understand true Audio!!

2. Could you please incorporate Dolby IIz
                        Classé's answer:No, who wants more speakers and it's just a gizmo!

4. Could you please include HDMi SACD DSD support
                        Classé's answer: No, no one listen to SACDs there are no titles available

hum: www.sa-cd.net

5. Could you please include Silicon Optics Realta
                        Classé's answer: No, who needs it just use an Blu Ray player

There you have it :T

And yes I would love to be proven wrong Also Dolby Surround Headphone, Logic 7, THX Ultra 2 would be great but I am not holding my breath. I am so out of Classé.

I am even thinking selling it all and going somewhere else :B

Wether Classe answers yes or no to any of your questions I hardly think the answers you posted are the official answers of Classe. If I am wrong then please post links. No offense but you are coming across as over dramatic.

Comment

• alebonau
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Srrndhound
                          I doubt you'll see Harman license L7 to a product in such direct competition to their own. They consider it one of their strongest differentiating features. And they have introduced a new variant, albeit not for 2-ch but 5.1 processing, DL7. Rumor has it that there was another "super" version in the works, but who knows if that will appear or not.

I consider L7 one of the best of the breed of 2-ch upmixers. It's the only one besides PLIIx to output 7.1, and has been refined over many years by a talented design team. Being that these upmixers are a melding of art and science, there's many interpretations on how to do it. That's why they all sound so radically different (L7, PLIIx, Neo:6, Circle Surround, Neural Surround). Meridian's Trifield and their similar Music Mode are non-logic processors, and also sound quite different from the others. (Meridian is even less likely to license theirs out, I suspect.)

~

Thanks.
                          as a L7 user for quite a few years I too foudn nothing similarly like it for creating a 7.1 surround field from digital TVs pcm 2.0 and DD 2.0 source. until I came across PLIIc c + THX decoding for pcm 2.0 and THX ultra2 deocding of DD2.0. Does an as good a job if not better than L7 and no longer miss not having it.

my cousin has the ssp600 and a he typically uses thx surround modes for TV viewing as well. He'd certainly like to know if classe would offer it an option on the ssp800 as they did on the ssp600.

additionally auto eq/setup is something he is indeed looking for so would like to know when classe will offer that as an option.

also keen to know when the ssp800 will be bug free, he's looking down the barrel of 15k purchase for what it costs here for a 800 and doesnt want to be a beta tester for classe.

Lastly he would like to see a trade up deal for existing classe customers. He paid nearly $13k for his ssp600 not that long ago and his dealer wont take it in as a trade in unless for peanuts. A classe deal supporting an upgrade program for its existing customer base in upgrading to its later products would be well received.
                          "Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Comment

• sikoniko
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Aug 2003

While these are great questions, I do have a couple concerns. First, linking off to other sites for more information. I don't think the goal is to give Dave a homework assignment. I followed over to the Pioneer thread, for example, and there is quite a bit of catching up to do.

What I would like to do is ask for permission to take the liberty to paraphrase some of these questions, to shorten them up? I'm going to do that. If you don't like it, please PM me and I will re-do the question in full. I don't want to miss your key points, so please feel free to let me know.

There are a couple questions I will rephrase, because they seem rather like bait and non-productive.

Comment

• sikoniko
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Aug 2003

This is more work than I had thought.

A couple questions. There is some duplication of questions. I want to find a way to emphasize to Dave that multiple people are interested, but not ask the same question over and over.

Another question, Is this question important after this answer?

I notice in the SSP-800 that there are 2 modes called Music Plus and Movie Plus that might qualify. Perhaps Dave Nauber can explain what these modes do and how they compare.
                              Classe's Music Plus and Movie Plus are described as similar to Party mode, but instead of equal levels from all speakers, the center and surrounds are attenuated in proportions as on P32 of the manual. Other than the fact that they are also non-logic modes, they probably are not very similar to Meridian's modes. Not saying they are not useful or enjoyable--just different.
                              I don't understand this question?

3. For that matter, the same questions would apply to 2-channel SACD and DVD-Audio?
                              This one won't change over how it is done today:
                              1. When Dolby True HD and DTS MA become available with the upgrade what happens when the source is a 5.1 version of these, in other words, what does it do with the extra 2 channels in a 7-channel system? Does it process them on top of the other 5.1 channels or do those 2 channels remain silent.
                              If you have "discrete" selected, 5.1 will remain 5.1. If you have DDSurroundEX selected, it will apply DPLIIx and matrix the back 2. so all speakers are playing.

What would it do if it was there?

Comment

• sikoniko
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Aug 2003

I'm not looking to offend anyone by rewording this stuff. I would like everyone to read through the existing questions and help make these clear and concise.

I'm also not looking to censor anyone. I have re-worded a couple questions, like I said, that seem loaded, but I did include them in the list.

Comment

• sikoniko
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Aug 2003

Originally posted by alebonau
                                  Lastly he would like to see a trade up deal for existing classe customers. He paid nearly $13k for his ssp600 not that long ago and his dealer wont take it in as a trade in unless for peanuts. A classe deal supporting an upgrade program for its existing customer base in upgrading to its later products would be well received.
                                  OOC, do you expect Denon to incentive-ize a forklift upgrade for existing AVP customers? They've not done it in the past. The only ones that offer such are generally modular products (such as the Anthem Statement).

Comment

• Nolan B
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Sep 2005

Another question around a BD player.

1.) Why is it Classe can make a CDT, but not a BDT? Why would a CDT realize a benefit in the digital domain but a BDT cannot to the point where it would not be worth making one?

Is the reason for not making a BD player mainly based on the speculation on how long BD may or may not last?

Comment

• taker
                                      • Aug 2005

With the SSP 800 being Classe Flagship Processor why ony 4 HDMI inputs ?

Comment

• Nolan B
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Sep 2005

Originally posted by taker
                                        With the SSP 800 being Classe Flagship Processor why ony 4 HDMI inputs ?
                                        ill agree that 4 is a little light. They should have got rid of some of the analog inputs and added 4 more for a total of 8.

PS3
                                        Xbox
                                        Cable Box
                                        BD player
                                        SACD/DVD A player
                                        Apple TV

Its very likely HT enthusiasts would have more then 4 sources.

Comment

• Nolan B
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • Sep 2005

BTW...there is a very good list of questions developing here. I am looking forward to the answers.

Comment

• Srrndhound
                                            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Oddiophile
                                            2. What does it do with sources like 3-channel or 4 channel SACD or DVD-Audio? In the case of 3-channel SACD, does it keep the center channel? In both cases what does it do with the extra channels? Are they processed or are they silent?
                                            If this queston is to be included, I think it will help to be more specific.

Which movies use 3-ch soundtracks? Which channels are they L, R, ?

Which movies use 4-ch soundtracks? Which channels are they L, R, ?, ?

As with all other source configurations (mono, 2.0, 5.1, 6.1, 7.1) one obvious option is of course to play them exactly as decoded. I'd be very surprised if this is not the case. Worth confirming if there's any question.

The bigger question is if the existing upmixers are able to be used to fill in any of the gaps. For example, if the 4-ch source uses Ls/Rs, then I'd hope PLIIx can be used to make 4 surrounds.

Am I on the right track? Please advise.

Comment

• Srrndhound
                                              • Sep 2008

I wonder about this question:

>>Why was this feature left out?
                                              Q. DSD Support? Is this something that could be added later?<<

What is meant by DSD Support? If it means ingesting DSD signals via HDMI and passing them directly to the SSP-800 DACs, then the answer might be: why bother? It's not hard to find a player than decodes DSD and outputs analog. The 2.0/5.1/7.1 analog inputs pass thru to the volume control untouched. Since DSD DACs avoid the foibles of PCM DACs, that arguement isn't very strong.

But if you want any a) bass management, b) PEQ, c) surround processing of DSD sources, then you have to use PCM, so it may as well come from the player's HDMI in PCM form.

Thoughts? Clarifications?

Comment

• sikoniko
                                                Super Senior Member
                                                • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Vancouver
                                                Another question around a BD player.

1.) Why is it Classe can make a CDT, but not a BDT? Why would a CDT realize a benefit in the digital domain but a BDT cannot to the point where it would not be worth making one?

Is the reason for not making a BD player mainly based on the speculation on how long BD may or may not last?
                                                I'm having trouble adding these questions because I feel he might answer them at the same time he answers the original Blu-Ray question. I have concerned that his answer will be "see above answer".

I have added it in a way that might make sense, but please help me formulate it better?

Comment

• Srrndhound
                                                  • Sep 2008

Do you still stand firm on not being able to produce a player which when used a digital transport for 10809 24...
                                                  What is 10809 24?

Comment

• sikoniko
                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                    • Aug 2003

What is 10809 24?
                                                    fixed it to be 1080P/24

Comment

• sikoniko
                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                      • Aug 2003

As with all other source configurations (mono, 2.0, 5.1, 6.1, 7.1) one obvious option is of course to play them exactly as decoded. I'd be very surprised if this is not the case. Worth confirming if there's any question.

The bigger question is if the existing upmixers are able to be used to fill in any of the gaps. For example, if the 4-ch source uses Ls/Rs, then I'd hope PLIIx can be used to make 4 surrounds.

I don't get this question. But its not mine. I think I said it before, but if your "mode" is discrete, it should play back with the exact number of channels on the track, if the "mode" is DDSurroundEX, it will play back through all speakers. I'm not sure examples will change the answer. Perhaps you could explain why this is important, and how I might not be getting it? If I'm not, he might not.

Comment

• Srrndhound
                                                        • Sep 2008

I don't get this question. But its not mine. I think I said it before, but if your "mode" is discrete, it should play back with the exact number of channels on the track, if the "mode" is DDSurroundEX, it will play back through all speakers. I'm not sure examples will change the answer. Perhaps you could explain why this is important, and how I might not be getting it? If I'm not, he might not.
                                                        The problem stems from the fact that we normally use an upmixer like PLII or Neo to make 5.1 out of 2.0 sources. If that source has 3 channels, it complicated matters because now the upmixer's output has to be mixed with that additional discrete channel somehow. The right way to do it is rather complicated, and while Harman and Dolby have both designed such methods, these are not licensed.

So I think the OP s asking what, if any, kinds of upmixing are available for these somwhat unconventional cases. That's why I think we have to know more about the exact cases of concern, as the answers differ for each case.

Comment

• sikoniko
                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                          • Aug 2003

I wonder about this question:

>>Why was this feature left out?
                                                          Q. DSD Support? Is this something that could be added later?<<

What is meant by DSD Support? If it means ingesting DSD signals via HDMI and passing them directly to the SSP-800 DACs, then the answer might be: why bother? It's not hard to find a player than decodes DSD and outputs analog. The 2.0/5.1/7.1 analog inputs pass thru to the volume control untouched. Since DSD DACs avoid the foibles of PCM DACs, that arguement isn't very strong.

But if you want any a) bass management, b) PEQ, c) surround processing of DSD sources, then you have to use PCM, so it may as well come from the player's HDMI in PCM form.

Thoughts? Clarifications?
                                                          You are understanding it correctly.

This question is there because it was asked. Realistically, we all know the answer. SACD is relatively dead. Yes, I love the format, and am sad its gone. but it doesn't make sense for a company to release a product that caters to such a small demographic, which will continue to shrink as the product (SSP-800) gets older.

There are some people that shop based on a feature list. These people look for check marks next to features before making a purchase. If the check isn't there, they want to know why, whether they realize there is a benefit or not. Its a way to try and make competing products look like apples to apples to determine which direction to go. It all depends on someones priorities.

Comment

• wettou
                                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                                            • May 2006

Wether Classe answers yes or no to any of your questions I hardly think the answers you posted are the official answers of Classe. If I am wrong then please post links. No offense but you are coming across as over dramatic.
                                                            No offense taken, I was told by Classe already the following answers but since I don't want to flag who said that to me I felt maybe Dave would give us an other answer! :T
                                                            Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• wettou
                                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                                              • May 2006

SACD is relatively dead.
                                                              Nope SACD is not dead many classical labels are still supporting SACDs and for those of us who have a collections of SACDs multichannel the format is not dead, 5787 SA-CD is nothing to sneeze at!! Let's hope Blu Ray Music will make it!

Classé just didn't want to support DSD that's all.

Benchmarking: You know when I look at a company like JVC or Oppo Digital and compare how each companies listen to their customers and dealers it's like night and day compared to Classé!

Classé doesn't poll it's customers to asks them what features they want to see!! And if they do they don't listen, that's too bad.

Even Apple polled their customers for the new Apple TV!!

Comment

• sikoniko
                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                • Aug 2003

Nope SACD is not dead many classical labels are still supporting SACDs and for those of us who have a collections of SACDs multichannel the format is not dead, 5787 SA-CD is nothing to sneeze at!! Let's hope Blu Ray Music will make it!

Classé just didn't want to support DSD that's all.
                                                                Did I miss something? Is my SSP-800 not able to play SACD's? Mine seem to play just fine.

Tell me why its important for the pre/pro to support it vs receiving PCM like it is now. Do you want it because it is important to maintaining the integrity of the sound, or because some other product has it? Trying to keep up with the Jones's?

you're missing my point. And having DSD on board won't make a difference for Blu-Ray audio.

Benchmarking: You know when I look at a company like JVC or Oppo Digital and compare how each companies listen to their customers and dealers it's like night and day compared to Classé!

Classé doesn't poll it's customers to asks them what features they want to see!! And if they do they don't listen, that's too bad.

Even Apple polled their customers for the new Apple TV!!
                                                                I can't specifically tell you how Classe determines what will be in the product, but I will be glad to add it to the questions...

As far as dumping your Classe, that is a personal decision. Noone here is holding you back. You phrase it like a child saying "I'm going to take my toys and go home." Ultimately, we don't care. It's your system. Design it around your goals, wants and needs.

Whatever you decide, I hope it makes you happy and has all the bells and whistles you desire. It sounds to me like the Denon has all the features you want. You should go buy it. There are many people who are more than satisfied with it.

Comment

• Oddiophile
                                                                  • Jul 2008

You are on the right track (nice pun by the way). I want to know "if the existing upmixers are able to be used to fill in any of the gaps. For example, if the 4-ch source uses Ls/Rs, then I'd hope PLIIx can be used to make 4 surrounds."

Jim

Comment

• Oddiophile
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Jul 2008

You are on the right track (nice pun by the way). I want to know "if the existing upmixers are able to be used to fill in any of the gaps. For example, if the 4-ch source uses Ls/Rs, then I'd hope PLIIx can be used to make 4 surrounds."

Sorry for partial duplicate post

Jim

Comment

• Oddiophile
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • Jul 2008

I would like to reemphasize my concern about how the SSP-800 handles 2-channel material. As most of us still have the vast majority of our music collections in 2-channel (and will continue to do so for some time), it is important that the SSP-800 do a good job in "upmixing" this material to multi-channel to take advantage of the multi-channel systems that most owners of an SSP-800 will already have.

Of course, there is Dolby Prologic IIx to do this already. However, as has been indicated by others, sometimes it leaves something to be desired. There are other options out there such as Logic7/Digital Logic7 and Trifield that do a better job or at least supplement Dolby Prologic IIx. Perhaps the question for Dave Nauber should have read something like:

Does Classe have any plans to supplement its treatment of 2-channel material (currently done by Dolby Prologic IIx) with something like Logic7/Digital Logic 7? Can the upgrade board handle something like that?

I believe that a lot of people would be very interested in something like this and it would be a wonderful enhancement to the SSP-800, so Dave Nauber should be made aware of these thoughts.

Jim

Comment

• Oddiophile
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • Jul 2008

Quote:
                                                                        Originally Posted by Srrndhound

To explain, I come from a Lexicon MC-12 background where the "discrete channels" are post-processed (i.e. "upmixed") to fill the missing channels. Therefore, I don't really know what other "normal" receivers do with this material.

I would like the SSP-800 to do this sort of post-processing. As it appears that it does not do this now, my questions is:

Are there any plans to include this sort of post-processing in a future upgrade?

Jim

Comment

• taker
                                                                          Junior Member
                                                                          • Aug 2005

ill agree that 4 is a little light. They should have got rid of some of the analog inputs and added 4 more for a total of 8.

PS3
                                                                          Xbox
                                                                          Cable Box
                                                                          BD player
                                                                          SACD/DVD A player
                                                                          Apple TV

Its very likely HT enthusiasts would have more then 4 sources.

YES ! :T 8 would be perfect

Comment

• wettou
                                                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                                                            • May 2006
                                                                            • 3389

Did I miss something? Is my SSP-800 not able to play SACD's? Mine seem to play just fine.
                                                                            because DSD sound much better than PCM!

Trying to keep up with the Jones's?
                                                                            Look who is talking, let me take a guess you drive a BMer!

I can't specifically tell you how Classe determines what will be in the product, but I will be glad to add it to the questions...
                                                                            Thank you just ask the questions and give us a break with your comments, and please stop pontificating .... Some of us could care less

Comment

• Srrndhound
                                                                              Senior Member
                                                                              • Sep 2008
                                                                              • 446

#39
                                                                              To explain, I come from a Lexicon MC-12 background where the "discrete channels" are post-processed (i.e. "upmixed") to fill the missing channels. Therefore, I don't really know what other "normal" receivers do with this material.

I would like the SSP-800 to do this sort of post-processing. As it appears that it does not do this now, my questions is:

Are there any plans to include this sort of post-processing in a future upgrade?
                                                                              Is there a mode in the MC-12 that upmixes 3-ch soundtracks? Can you give an example of a movie with a 3-ch soundtrack? Trying to figure out which channels it has.

Comment

• Oddiophile
                                                                                Senior Member
                                                                                • Jul 2008
                                                                                • 173

#40
                                                                                Is there a mode in the MC-12 that upmixes 3-ch soundtracks? Can you give an example of a movie with a 3-ch soundtrack? Trying to figure out which channels it has.
                                                                                I was thinking only of 3-channel SACDs and not soundtracks in my original questions. Both RCA Living Stereo and Mercury produced some of these.

In the original version of Logic7, the Center channel would be dropped as a discrete channel but would be filled by the Logic7 mode. After Logic7 was revised to be Digital Logic7 (whatever the name, it was definitely revised), the discrete centre channel would be reproduced as originally intended. The result was MUCH better.

Jim

Comment

• Srrndhound
                                                                                  Senior Member
                                                                                  • Sep 2008
                                                                                  • 446

#41
                                                                                  I was thinking only of 3-channel SACDs and not soundtracks in my original questions. Both RCA Living Stereo and Mercury produced some of these.

In the original version of Logic7, the Center channel would be dropped as a discrete channel but would be filled by the Logic7 mode. After Logic7 was revised to be Digital Logic7 (whatever the name, it was definitely revised), the discrete centre channel would be reproduced as originally intended. The result was MUCH better.
                                                                                  Thanks for the clarification. Yes, the Living Stereo use L/C/R. DL7 (I think that's the name) is one of the solutions I mentioned earlier, I just didn't know the MC12 had it. I guess they did a software upgrade.

It's also possible to use PLII or PLIIx to process the L/R channels, if it is set for "phantom" mode, which creates no output for the C. In this mode, it also does essentially nothing to the L/R signals, so it mainly extracts the spatial cues for the 2 or 4 surrounds, as the case may be. Now I suspect this mode cannot be activated in current AVRs (or the SSP-800) as it is not described in the Dolby manual, but it is a trivial thing for the Classe engineers to do if they have a desire to make it happen. I'd be happy to help if they need it. :W

Comment

• sikoniko
                                                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                                                    • Aug 2003
                                                                                    • 2299

#42
                                                                                    because DSD sound much better than PCM!
                                                                                    I find it hard to believe that you have directly compared the two. here is a quote from Kal where it appears he prefers PCM.

Yup. But, in my experience with the Oppo 980 (where one can switch between PCM and DSD ad lib), the difference is minor compared with the improvements due to all those features you dismiss. I really wonder how much of these preferences for "signal purity" (which I do understand) are more philosophical than real.
                                                                                    Look who is talking, let me take a guess you drive a BMer!
                                                                                    Actually, I drive a '92 Honda civic that has been paid off since '97.

Thank you just ask the questions and give us a break with your comments, and please stop pontificating .... Some of us could care less
                                                                                    yes, and I could care less about your questions. back off of personal attacks or I'll pull them.

Comment

• sikoniko
                                                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                                                      • Aug 2003
                                                                                      • 2299

#43
                                                                                      Thanks for the clarification. Yes, the Living Stereo use L/C/R. DL7 (I think that's the name) is one of the solutions I mentioned earlier, I just didn't know the MC12 had it. I guess they did a software upgrade.

It's also possible to use PLII or PLIIx to process the L/R channels, if it is set for "phantom" mode, which creates no output for the C. In this mode, it also does essentially nothing to the L/R signals, so it mainly extracts the spatial cues for the 2 or 4 surrounds, as the case may be. Now I suspect this mode cannot be activated in current AVRs (or the SSP-800) as it is not described in the Dolby manual, but it is a trivial thing for the Classe engineers to do if they have a desire to make it happen. I'd be happy to help if they need it. :W
                                                                                      Can you help devise a question since I still don't necessarily get it? I've never been one to take 2 ch audio and care about it being played in surround sound.

thanks,

Comment

• SwainDtV
                                                                                        Member
                                                                                        • Sep 2008
                                                                                        • 84

#44
                                                                                        Hi all,

Currently the remote only supports 4 (programmable) functions. I use 1 and 2 for switching between 2-channel and DPLIIx-Music. Function 3 and 4 are used for A-B tests. I really would like to be able to program more functions.

My question is can the function keys on the remote be reprogrammed to work with a combination of other keys on the remote in order to have more than 4 programmable functions?

Like F1 + left, F1 + right ...

Ab

Comment

• SwainDtV
                                                                                          Member
                                                                                          • Sep 2008
                                                                                          • 84

#45
                                                                                          I thought of another question.

The location of my CA5200 is below my screen, between the centre and front speaker. While viewing I sometimes get distracted by the 5 fully dimmed blue channel lights. I wish I could turn them of. I wouldn’t mind if the standby light stays dimmed.

Currently the SSP800 can be configured to do some global stuff via Canbus. Dim lights on the CA5200 and put the CA5200 in/out of standby. I would like to see an addition where the SSP800 display timeout is synced with the channel lights on the CA5200 (or any other Classe amplifier). So when the SSP800 display times out, the channel lights go out. And with an event where the display turns on the channels lights are back on. In case of a channel error the corresponding light turns on with a different (red) color.

My question, is it possible to add the display timeout to the Canbus features and turn the Classe amplifier channel light off and on in sync with the display time out?

Ab

Comment

Working...
                                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                          Search Result for "|||"