X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JonJeffman
    • Apr 2009

Rotel model numbers

Hi there,
    I'm looking at upgrading my 2-ch stereo system and have heard nothing but good things about Rotel. I'm leaning towards used equipment as it fits my budget but have a few questions about the various model numbers I see floating about, but can't find too much info on them. If you can add to my understanding, or correct any of my mistakes below, I'd really appreciate it.

For power amps anyway:

Some of the older series stuff (ie. 8xx or 9xx) has models that are followed by BX, AX, or nothing. What does this mean? Is this a Class A, Class B, Class A/B sort of thing? Or is it a quality thing - i.e. AX is top of the line, BX is entry level?

Any opinions on what to look for or what to avoid?

I gather the first number is the series and indicates what stuff is newer (i.e. 8xx series, 9xx, 10xx, 15xx) - bigger number, newer stuff. Has Rotel always produced great gear, or have some series been knock-outs and some dudds?

Middle number seems to go up with power, ie. RB-1080 has more power than RB-1070.

Last number seems to relate to the number of channels for the amp:
    0 - stereo; 1 - mono; 5 - 5 channel; etc

MkII - not sure what this stands for (is it just a slightly revised version of a previous model)?

Are there any compatibility issues between various models? I bought a used pre-amp RC-970BX MkII. Do I need to match the power amp to this at all (i.e. does it also need to be a BX model, or 900 series, MkII, etc).

Thanks for the help.
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

Originally posted by JonJeffman
    For power amps anyway:

Some of the older series stuff (ie. 8xx or 9xx) has models that are followed by BX, AX, or nothing. What does this mean? Is this a Class A, Class B, Class A/B sort of thing? Or is it a quality thing - i.e. AX is top of the line, BX is entry level?
    No idea.. Before my time with Rotel

Any opinions on what to look for or what to avoid?
    Again, can't help with the old stuff too much.

I gather the first number is the series and indicates what stuff is newer (i.e. 8xx series, 9xx, 10xx, 15xx) - bigger number, newer stuff. Has Rotel always produced great gear, or have some series been knock-outs and some dudds?
    No real duds that I can think of.

MkII - not sure what this stands for (is it just a slightly revised version of a previous model)?
    Yup, Mark2 I think. Slight redesign, slight updates, etc...

Are there any compatibility issues between various models? I bought a used pre-amp RC-970BX MkII. Do I need to match the power amp to this at all (i.e. does it also need to be a BX model, or 900 series, MkII, etc).

Thanks for the help.
    Nope, shouldn't matter a bit. Here's a link for archived manuals. Should help you distinguish different models:

Kevin D.

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"