X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cug
    • Jan 2008

RC-1070 vs. RC-1082

Hi.

Did anybody here ever make a blind a/b test between the two pre-amps? I heard them both but on different setups and so I can't tell where the differences came from.

Another question: is the RC-1070 more or less a RA-1062 without the power amp part?

Thanks!
  • SIH
    • Jan 2003

I would never recommend the purchase of a RC-1070. It was an average preamp at best when it worked. Unfortunately it's hyper sensitive to static electricity and crapped out on me conveniently right after the warranty expired. Initially I thought i was just the victim of bad luck until i did more research and found that many others experienced the same thing.

I've since bought a McIntosh C220 preamp and it's like night and day. I'm not bashing Rotel in any way...I own a RB-991 amp and it has performed like a champ for 8 years, no complaints. Bottom line the RC-1070 is a big disappointment to put it politely. Save your money.

Comment

• lvhung
      • Jun 2005

IN the samecompany more expensive in is always better

Comment

• cug
        • Jan 2008

Originally posted by SIH
        I would never recommend the purchase of a RC-1070. It was an average preamp at best when it worked. Unfortunately it's hyper sensitive to static electricity and crapped out on me conveniently right after the warranty expired. Initially I thought i was just the victim of bad luck until i did more research and found that many others experienced the same thing.

I've since bought a McIntosh C220 preamp and it's like night and day. I'm not bashing Rotel in any way...I own a RB-991 amp and it has performed like a champ for 8 years, no complaints. Bottom line the RC-1070 is a big disappointment to put it politely. Save your money.
        Thanks for the information. I haven't yet decided which route to go ...

Comment

• miner
          • Mar 2005

Well, I have the RC-1070, now for 3 years. No problem with it at all - it is in my secondary unit. My primary pre is RC-1090. For $500 retail the RC-1070 is a good pre; nice phonostage too. I have too much gear and am considering selling the RC-1070 and RB-1070 as a pkg deal. Contact me if interested.

Comment

• cug
            • Jan 2008

Originally posted by miner
            Well, I have the RC-1070, now for 3 years. No problem with it at all - it is in my secondary unit. My primary pre is RC-1090. For $500 retail the RC-1070 is a good pre; nice phonostage too. I have too much gear and am considering selling the RC-1070 and RB-1070 as a pkg deal. Contact me if interested.
            I'm really looking around at the moment where to go for a solution that will last the next 10 to 15 years and I really don't know yet.

Right now, the upgrades I'm considering are:

- keep RA-1062 as a pre, get a RB-1072 or RB-1092 as power amp
            - the combo RC-1082/RB-1072 (or 1092), trade in the integrated
            - get a Bryston integrated (B100 SST), can't trade in my RA-1062 then
            - get a RC-1082, trade in the integrated, add two Bel Canto M300
            - Classé CAP-2100 with the smallest CD-Player they have, trade in the RA-1062 and the RCD-1072

That are the options I'm seeing right now. If I wait until summer, I can afford any of them without any problem, but the question remains, whether I want to spend the money for the more expensive solutions.

One of the things to consider is that I really like to have an overall similar "look and feel" which would point into either staying with Rotel or switching to Classé as these are the brands I get at the dealer where I have the upgrade option on the Rotel stuff I have right now. They also have NAD, but I don't like the look at all.

Also, the feature I actually like most with the Classé is the option to set the behaviour of the volume knob to whatever you prefer. I hate that the RA-1062 can't be controlled fine enough with the remote to just hit the right spot. It's mostly either too loud or just not enough. No reason for upgrading though. It's just that the whole system doesn't feel complete at the moment.

So, I was curious about the RC-1070, but I probably won't buy one.

Comment

• Ronel S
              • Dec 2005

I own an RC-1070, connected to RB-1070 and RCD-1072 for almost a year now and I have no problems. Compared to my friend's RC-1090, the RC-1090 has fuller sound than RC-1070. The innards also has a big difference, because the RC-1070 has only 2 huge cylindrical caps, while the 1090 has 4(I think).

I don't know about RC-1082 but I think it uses the same circuitry with the RC-1090.

Comment

• bigburner
                Super Senior Member
                • May 2005

Originally posted by cug
                Also, the feature I actually like most with the Classé is the option to set the behaviour of the volume knob to whatever you prefer. I hate that the RA-1062 can't be controlled fine enough with the remote to just hit the right spot. It's mostly either too loud or just not enough.
                I recently upgraded from an RC-1070 to an RC-1082 and the behaviour of the remote control is quite different. The RC-1082 changes volume in very small increments compared to the RC-1070 so I am now able to hit the right spot.

Nigel.

Comment

• Mitchell
                  • Sep 2004

i have the rc 1070 for over 3 years now and its been fine.
                  no problems.
                  I have a 1080 and they sound good together.
                  Mitchell

Comment

• jfg
                    • Jan 2008

Can you compare the difference in sound

Originally posted by bigburner
                    I recently upgraded from an RC-1070 to an RC-1082 and the behaviour of the remote control is quite different. The RC-1082 changes volume in very small increments compared to the RC-1070 so I am now able to hit the right spot.

Nigel.
                    Hello Nigel,

Can you say anything about the difference in sound between the
                    RC-1070 and the RC-1082? What are the speaker and main amplifier you are
                    using?

JFG

Comment

• bigburner
                      Super Senior Member
                      • May 2005

Originally posted by jfg
                      Hello Nigel,

Can you say anything about the difference in sound between the
                      RC-1070 and the RC-1082? What are the speaker and main amplifier you are
                      using?

JFG
                      Hi JFG,

You'll find my review here: http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=28400

I've now had my RC-1082 for two months and I'm happy with it. Has it made a huge improvement to my listening pleasure? Initially I thought it did, but now I'm not so sure because I've got used to it. I enjoyed music a lot using my RC-1070 and I enjoy music a lot now using my new RC-1082. I generally make the most of what I've got.

You can see the rest of my equipment in my Public Profile (click on bigburner)

Nigel.

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"