X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • luszer
    • Feb 2003

RC1070 or RC995 matched w/ RB991

Interested if anyone has an RB1080 or 991 teamed up with either RC1070 or older pre-amp such as RC995. In doing research, a used RC955 costs about same as a new RC1070. Wait are the differences and sonic characters on either pre-amp? Any info greatly appreciated. Tyring to make a hard decision on investing soley 2 channel or keep the HT configuration up and running and still utilize 2 channel listening

Thanks
  • Danbry39
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Sep 2002

Take two: I had a different response written, but I had misread your post.

I don't have an answer to your question, other than to suggest you not necessarily restrict your search for a preamp to Rotel.

In fact, I would post over at the Audio section of HTGuide to check out how much used Rogues or Musical Fidelity preamps might go for.

This isn't meant as a put down on Rotel's product at all, but only to say that that isn't the only possible route available to you.

Keith
    Keith

Comment

• SIH
      • Jan 2003

I'm currently using the 991 amp and 1070 preamp and like the combo. The RC-995 has balanced XLR outputs and balance control knob whereas the RC-1070 does not. The 1070 has a defeatable contour switch (I rarely use but has come in handy before). Aesthetically the 1070 is a better match if that's important to you at all. Sonically I couldn't really justify the difference in price when choosing between the two. In direct comparison the 1070 had a slightly blacker, quieter background. They are both pretty simple and straightfoward preamps and either way you should be happy.

Comment

• wombat2009
        • Feb 2009

The RC-995 is a discrete Pre amp, it uses transistors in the main signal path. The power supply is big enough for a small power amp and it has 2 diode bridges which I suspect means it has individual supplies for each channel. If your into vinyl it has mm and mc switch. So top design and components. The RC-1070 uses op amps in it's signal path, a good power supply and top components. The RC-995 is the better design and should sound better but the RC-1070 is newer and easyer to tweek. Both would be good especially with a matching rotel amp. I have the RC-995 with RB-1070 amp and they sound great to me.

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"