X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kitjv
    • Dec 2007

RB1080/RC1082 - I Need a Bit of Guidance

I had the opportunity yesterday to audition a pair of Paradigm Studio 100s with the Rotel RC1070/RB1070 preamp & power amp combination. My ears were very pleased. However, I am curious about the audible difference that the Rotel RC1082/RB1080 would make with these same speakers. Or maybe going with the RC1070 & the RB1080? As a newbie, I really appreciate all of your help. THANK YOU.
  • Mikael
    • Aug 2007

I'm sure you will find the RC1082/RB1080 a better sounding combo.It cost a bit more, but it is worth every penny.

Comment

• kitjv
      • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Mikael
      I'm sure you will find the RC1082/RB1080 a better sounding combo.It cost a bit more, but it is worth every penny.
      I can't say that I am surprised. However, I have heard others say that the audible difference between the RC1070 preamp & the RC1082 is negligible at best. Thus, some folks use the RC1070 with the RB1080 power amp to save a few bucks. I'm curious.

Comment

• miner
        • Mar 2005

I had a RC-1070 before I upgraded to the RC-1090. I was very pleased with the RC-1070. I upgraded due to teh MC phono stage on the pre - the RC-1-070 had the MM stage only. I use the RC-1070 & RB-1070 in the BR now. It is a very capable and enlightening setup. You an get a used RC-1070 f0r $300.

Comment

• hifiguymi
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by kitjv
          I had the opportunity yesterday to audition a pair of Paradigm Studio 100s with the Rotel RC1070/RB1070 preamp & power amp combination. My ears were very pleased. However, I am curious about the audible difference that the Rotel RC1082/RB1080 would make with these same speakers. Or maybe going with the RC1070 & the RB1080? As a newbie, I really appreciate all of your help. THANK YOU.
          With those speakers it would make sense to upgrade both if you could. If you can only do one that is tough to decide which one to upgrade.

One one hand, the Studio100 is a tough speaker to run (I sell Paradigm and know that model well) and the RB-1080 will have an easier time running them. It has a much bigger power supply and can handle the load of the Studio100 much better. If you don't listen at high volumes or music that has large amounts of deep bass the RB-1070 will work fine however.

On the other hand, the RC-1082 is a much better preamp than the RC-1070. It will improve the the overall sound of the system more than the RB-1080 will over the RB-1070. The RC-1082 has a greater ease about it that the RC-1070 cannot match. The sound stage is bigger and deeper, the bass is more detailed and has a greater sense of pace and rhythm, and it's not as bright on the top end without giving up detail. The RC-1070 is a very good preamp and at its price is a great value, but the RC-1082 is that much better.

I hope this helps.

Eric

Comment

• kitjv
            • Dec 2007

Thank you, Eric.

Comment

• Mikael
              • Aug 2007

You are not quite right hifiguymi. There is a big step up in sound quality when you are going from an RB 1070 to an RB 1080, even with the RC 1070 in the mix.The RB 1080 have a much more full sound than the RB 1070. and have more punch in the bass and a more neutral treble and mid.IMHO

Comment

• hifiguymi
                Super Senior Member
                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Mikael
                You are not quite right hifiguymi. There is a big step up in sound quality when you are going from an RB 1070 to an RB 1080, even with the RC 1070 in the mix.The RB 1080 have a much more full sound than the RB 1070. and have more punch in the bass and a more neutral treble and mid.IMHO
                You are correct in regards to the difference between the RB-1070 and RB-1080. In my listening the difference between the RC-1070 and RC-1082 is greater than the difference in those two amps. If there was a choice of which one to upgrade, I would recommend the preamp. It will have a greater sonic impact than the difference between those two amps.

Eric

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"