• Show
Clear All
  • jfg
    • Jan 2008

Pre-amplifier Rotel RC1082 or RA06

Recently I bought a Rotel RA06 with associated equipment,
    following the advice of a hifi-dealer. Found the speakers
    disappointing and replaced them with the much more
    expensive B&W 803D. Then added the Rotel RB1092 as an amplifier.
    Now I am in doubt whether to replace the Rotel RA06, which is now used
    as a pre-amplifier, with the Rotel RC1082. What kind of
    improvement can I expect?

I went to the hifi shop to listen to different (pre-)amplifiers.
    Not noting any difference at all. But at home the RB1092
    clearly put the sound more forward, and made instruments
    such as a piano sounding a little more like real ones.
    Still it is quite easy to distinguish a real piano from one
    coming out of the speakers. Besides the equipment mentioned
    above, I have an RCD06 CD player and overly(?) expensive
    speaker cable (inakustic LS 1302).

JFG
  • Briz vegas
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

I heard a dealer make an interesting comment about one of his customers - he said that the customer was not yet ready for the more sophisticated gear that he sold. The customer liked punch and energy over finesse and transparency. I think some people will never be "ready" for a true high end system - they much prefer the kick in the chest of a kick drum before getting into the other aspects of music. Both types of sound are legitimate goals (getting both is even better).

Your purchase of the 803D is a huge leap into a more sophisticated sound.

The 803D is a very good and very expensive speaker that will reveal every equipment and cable change in your system. One 803D owner on this forum is running a $13K Meridian CD Player into those speakers and if you asked him he would say it was worth every cent.

Maybe what you should do is establish what the 803D is capable of first to get an idea of the level of performance that you are achieving at home. If my "humble" 804s are capable of an amazing level of realism then your 803D should be doing even better. Piano is exceptionally difficult to reproduce (there are speakers made to do that and nothing else) but how is it with vocals? For me this is a great test.

I would go to a dealer (or dealers) with a good reputation and ask to hear the 803D with suitable quality electronics (source, amplification and cables)- Classe, Mcintosh and Krell are some examples. I would spend some serious time there with your music, maybe go back in a couple of weeks time for a further session.

The Rotels that you mention (other than the 1092) are basically starter gear suited to a nice pair of 600 series speakers or similar. Great value for money, fun to listen to but not suited to getting the best out of your speakers. The 1092 would be the possible exception but even then I would be saving for Classe which is the B&W groups other electronics brand.

I also have an alternative suggestion.

Live with your current setup for 3 to 6 months or so before going out to listen to more expensive 803D setups. It takes time to really hear your system properly. If you are a keen listener (ie you sit and listen to maybe an album a day - ie just listen, not while working on the computer) you will start to get a better idea of your systems strengths and weaknesses. Its like you have to teach your brain to listen - everyone can do it (to a degree), but not everyone has the inclination. Once you have done that hit the demo rooms.

Listen to the slightly better gear but also listen to the true high end stuff as well. My speakers were less than a 1/3 of the overall cost of my 2 channel system.
    Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
    Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• jfg
      • Jan 2008

Thanks for this information. What I conclude from your mail is that
      an investment of the Rotel RC1082 preamplifier is not wise, because it is really
      not good enough for the B&W 803D, and compared to the RA06 as a pre-amplifier
      not worth the investment. Typically, the few reviews about the RC1082 are moderately
      positive (good buy for the money), while the reviews for the RA06 contain much
      more entiousiasm. So, I must wait some time, save a substantial sum, and replace
      the RB1092 and the RA06 at the same time by something well over 10k euros. Mmmm.

Comment

• miner
        • Mar 2005

I have yet to hear 'audiophile' equipment in my home for testing. I am currently using a RC-1090 pre, RB-1092 amp (love it BTW), B&W N804, B&W ASW800, Rotel RCC-1055 changer and a Rega P7 TT with DV20X cartridge. My pre and amp were about $3200 together. I would have to step up to $10000 to better it IMHO. I have listened to Krell, Classe and Bryston at my dealer. The Classe were the better of the three. The Krell was overly bright for me, but a fine piece of gear. I could get a Classe integrated for $4500 but my power would drop to 200w/ch. I am very happy with my current setup and can't justify the added expnse to upgrade. Now, if I had some extra disposable income of $12000 Classe would be visitng soon, and staying. Don't give up on your Rotel gear, good value for the $$.

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"