X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sanogueira
    • Sep 2007

Pre Amp for my RB-1080

Greetings,
    Which pre amp would be most suitable to use with rb 1080?.. Any advice from rb 1080 owners would be very helpful for me..
    Thanks
  • Aussie Geoff
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2003

Hi,

I've renamed the thread so it is clearer..

Oh and BTW - the RC-1082 is a great preamp... oro a seocnd hand RC-1090...

Geoff

Comment

• bassmahn
      • Aug 2007

For minimalist side, RC1070 is for you.

Comment

• sanogueira
        • Sep 2007

Thank you for renaming the thread Auisse. bassmahn i tried rc 1070, i still have it but did not like the sound very much the sound is lacking the dynamics and the details are missing, the high frequencies are not clear enough. speakers are b&w 803s. some friends told me that rc 1070 can not support this power amp and the speakers, therefore i wanted to hear the recommendations of people who are using rb 1080 with some other pre amps.

Comment

• bassmahn
          • Aug 2007

Have you tried RC1082? Its the same series as with RB1080.

I'm using RC1070 & RB1070 with Vienna Acoustic Grand Haydn speakers. I prefer silk tweets over the metal ones for Rotel.

Comment

• hifiguymi
            Super Senior Member
            • Mar 2007

There are a lot of good preamps out there. If you want to stick with Rotel, listen to the RC-1082. It takes care of most of the issues you had with the RC-1070 and is quite a bit better. If you don't have to stick with Rotel look at a used Classe or something like that.

Best of luck and let us know what you do get.

Eric

Comment

• BWzes03
              • Oct 2005

I recently bought myself a used RC-1090 preamp, driving a RB-1080 into a pair of N804's, and couldn't be much happier.... I previously driven de RB-1080 with a RSP-1098, which was very good, but the RC-1090 is so much better for straight on stereo that its actually uncanny that I was driving the set with a RSP pre/pro.

If you can find it at a good price, the RC-1090 is definitely the one you want... (my personal opinion though.... YMMV)

Comment

• sanogueira
                • Sep 2007

Thanks for advices. I did not try rc 1082 yet. I will talk to my dealer. I am trying to find the weakest part of my set up and I am gonna start with trying another preamp, because I believe 803s are quite good speakers and rb1080 is also quite good therefore I will first test another pre amp. rc 1090 is not being produced I guess. I could not find it. May be I have to check its second hand. Also I will look at used classe pre amp..thanks for all the opinions..as soon as I do it I will let you know the differences..

Comment

• joetama
                  • May 2006

Do you think I would notice a big improvement in stereo sound if I was to use a RC-1082 over a RSP-1098?
                  -Joe

Comment

• Rod S
                    • Mar 2005

I personally use the RC-1090 with the RB-1080 and think it’s a great match and delivers excellent performance.
                    I haven’t heard the latest RC-1082 but various posts on this board suggest it’s somewhere in-between the 1070 and 1090. If sticking with Rotel try for used 1090 but you may have to wait a while (try audiogon.com). Otherwise you can tour around the local hi-fi shops keeping in mind your budget and system synergy.

Comment

• joetama
                      • May 2006

I really want a CP-500.... But, the stereo fund grow slowly...
                      -Joe

Comment

• Ferres
                        • Jan 2007

Originally posted by joetama
                        Do you think I would notice a big improvement in stereo sound if I was to use a RC-1082 over a RSP-1098?
                        I have never heard the RSP-1098, but I do have the RSP-1068. The overall improvements of the RC-1082 over the Rsp-1068 is very noticeable.

The improvements is enough for me to consider using 3 RC-1082 to handle HD/Blueray 5.1 analogue outputs and forget about HDMI processing altogether. :

Comment

• joetama
                          • May 2006

Nice...

I figured there would be a difference... I seriously want that Classe CP-500 however...
                          -Joe

Comment

• Ferres
                            • Jan 2007

Originally posted by joetama
                            Nice...

I figured there would be a difference... I seriously want that Classe CP-500 however...
                            For 3x the price it better be.... :B

Comment

• george_k
                              • Jan 2004

I'm thinking of pairing a 1080 with a Primaluna Prologue Three

Comment

• joetama
                                • May 2006

Originally posted by Ferres
                                For 3x the price it better be.... :B
                                True that...
                                -Joe

Comment

• wkhanna
                                  Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Jan 2006

Originally posted by george_k
                                  I'm thinking of pairing a 1080 with a Primaluna Prologue Three
                                  The Prima Luna gear has truly infatuated me. I wish there were a place locally where I could audition it.

I put an long-in-tooth Caver pre in my system and recently added some new tubes. I love what a tube pre does for digital source material when paired with a SS power amp. Of course, the results are based on my particular system so YMMV.
                                  _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                                  ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

Working...
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"