So, am I crazy? RSP-1069 or seperate scaler?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kyle
    • Jan 2005

So, am I crazy? RSP-1069 or seperate scaler?

I've got a bit of upgradeitis.

I've read the specs on the RSP-1069, and I'm not sure that upgrading from my RSP-1068 is the way to go anymore.

Basically, I'm considering buying a DVDO VP50 Pro (I can get a very good price on one), and using that in conjunction with my 1068.

The VP50 is undoubtedly a better scaler than the 1069 would be, and I could run a custom output resolution to match my LCD. I'd get the HDMI switching that my 1068 is lacking, and since the 1069 doesn't do TrueHD or DTS+ or any of those new fangled audio formats, it's not as though I'm missing anything on that front.

When all is said and done, I'd basically be able to use HDMI on my TivoHD, DVD Player, etc, and if I run 768p out of the VP50, I should have a better quality picture than I'd be getting from a 1069.

What do you guys think?
    My gear
  • scient
    • Feb 2005

I think you've hit it right on!

Comment

• Nolan B
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Kyle
      I've got a bit of upgradeitis.

I've read the specs on the RSP-1069, and I'm not sure that upgrading from my RSP-1068 is the way to go anymore.

Basically, I'm considering buying a DVDO VP50 Pro (I can get a very good price on one), and using that in conjunction with my 1068.

The VP50 is undoubtedly a better scaler than the 1069 would be, and I could run a custom output resolution to match my LCD. I'd get the HDMI switching that my 1068 is lacking, and since the 1069 doesn't do TrueHD or DTS+ or any of those new fangled audio formats, it's not as though I'm missing anything on that front.

When all is said and done, I'd basically be able to use HDMI on my TivoHD, DVD Player, etc, and if I run 768p out of the VP50, I should have a better quality picture than I'd be getting from a 1069.

What do you guys think?

I think the VP 50 will do a fine job as a video switcher, but I question if it will do anything more then that not knowing your display. Sending 1080i to the vp50 and letting it deinterlace the signal is a great idea, IF your display can accept 1080p as its native resolution.

One thing people really need to realize is that TrueHD DD+ etc are decoded in the player and send as PCM through HDMI, so if you want to enjoy the next gen sound you will need to do 1 of the following.

1.) Get the 1069 and send PCM vis HDMI. This is a good idea becuase you have both HD DVD and BD connected.

2.) keep the 1068 and use the analog intputs from a HD DVD/BD player whish has analog outputs. In this case you can only choose 1 format as you only have 1 set of analog inputs.

If I were you,,,i would buy the 1069, and buy into both formats and skip the vp50.

Comment

• Blindamood
        • Sep 2003

Or you can do what I did, and add a Zektor MAS7.1 switcher. It doesn't scale video, but does allow you to switch 3 HDMI sources, in addition to 3 multi-channel analog inputs. Cured my upgrade-itis for a while.
        Brad

Comment

• Kyle
          • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Vancouver
          I think the VP 50 will do a fine job as a video switcher, but I question if it will do anything more then that not knowing your display. Sending 1080i to the vp50 and letting it deinterlace the signal is a great idea, IF your display can accept 1080p as its native resolution.

One thing people really need to realize is that TrueHD DD+ etc are decoded in the player and send as PCM through HDMI, so if you want to enjoy the next gen sound you will need to do 1 of the following.

1.) Get the 1069 and send PCM vis HDMI. This is a good idea becuase you have both HD DVD and BD connected.

2.) keep the 1068 and use the analog intputs from a HD DVD/BD player whish has analog outputs. In this case you can only choose 1 format as you only have 1 set of analog inputs.

If I were you,,,i would buy the 1069, and buy into both formats and skip the vp50.
          I have an older LCD unfortunately. It (Sony Bravia XBR1) does 720p and 1080i, but is a 768p native resolution.

The VP50 has coaxial and toslink digital outputs, couldn't I just run HDMI from stuff into the VP50, then optical or coaxial out of the VP50 into the 1068, and more or less use the 1068 as an audio processor for all the HDMI enabled devices? I'd run the monitor out from the 1068 via component into the VP50, and then HDMI out of the VP50 to my TV, so all non HDMI devices would get scaled as well.

If as was mentioned earlier TrueHD is decoded on the players, is there anything the 1069 does that the 1068 from an audio standpoint that makes my idea worse?

I'm more concerned overall with picture quality than I am with the gimmicky next gen audio stuff, but to be fair, I haven't seen the VP50 in action so I'm not actually sure what it is capable of (same goes for the 1069).
          My gear

Comment

• Kevin D
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Oct 2002

Essentially, what comes out of a coaxial/optical connection (from the player or pulled from the HDMI) will not be the decoded DD-HD/DTS-MA sound. That is only available multi-channel PCM on the HDMI or from analog outputs on the player.

The 1068 will handle it from the analog outputs, but not be able to set levels or bass management and is limited to one connection at a time. The 1069 will handle it over the HDMI cable and have 4 inputs to choose from.

In addition, the new DAC's and DSP chip should sound better then the 1068. Plus you get two more zone's of multi-room output.

Honestly though, the decoding of HD audio over HDMI is only going to apply to HD-DVD / Blu-ray right now, and it's not something you are extremely concerned about right now. So you'll probably be extremely happy just adding a VP50.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Kyle
              • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Kevin D
              Essentially, what comes out of a coaxial/optical connection (from the player or pulled from the HDMI) will not be the decoded DD-HD/DTS-MA sound. That is only available multi-channel PCM on the HDMI or from analog outputs on the player.

The 1068 will handle it from the analog outputs, but not be able to set levels or bass management and is limited to one connection at a time. The 1069 will handle it over the HDMI cable and have 4 inputs to choose from.

In addition, the new DAC's and DSP chip should sound better then the 1068. Plus you get two more zone's of multi-room output.

Honestly though, the decoding of HD audio over HDMI is only going to apply to HD-DVD / Blu-ray right now, and it's not something you are extremely concerned about right now. So you'll probably be extremely happy just adding a VP50.

Kevin D.
              Hm. Good information, thank you Kevin. I guess I have some more research to do. I'm looking forward to reading some reviews of both of these.
              My gear

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"