RSP 1069: Known issues, "Fixes", and Official stance from Rotel.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nolan B
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2005

RSP 1069: Known issues, "Fixes", and Official stance from Rotel.

As many of you may, or may not be aware there have been some issues concerning the highly anticipated RSP 1069. If you were not aware of the issues and have this processor, or if you dont have it and are thinking about getting it the information below should be something you read and understand.

The following is a list of issues the Rotel 1069 has out of the box that were found by Kevin and I.

Video Issues using HDMI:

1.) Any video signal up to but not including 1080p WILL have part of the video singal clipped. The end result is part of the black level gets completely cut causing all video to look darker then normal and a major loss of detail in black levels. Kevin D has more info on this as to why this is happening and I will leave it to him if he wishes to post his findings.

2.) The video goes blury every ten seconds. This is pretty straight forwad. When using HDMI you will notice that every 10 seconds the video goes blury. This is most noticable when text if being shown on screen although i noticed it all the time while viewing.

3.) Verticle lines all accross the screen noticable on all black or all white screens. This issue was the least distracting but noticable.

The above issues were caused by the video signal running through the scaler of the unit. After dealing with Rotel to try and get my unit fixed and explaining the issues they were able to replicate them (all but the 3rd becuase I never brought it up). Rotel customer service did a good job IMO in responding to my conerns and providing an initial fix. The fix was to send in my 1069 and have a board added which allowed me to bypass the internal scaler.

What did this accomplish? Well to be blunt this fixed ALL the video issues I had. The problem is it also bypassed the scaler rendering it completely useless. If you want to use a scaler and HDMI this fix will not work for you.

The above may be an issue to some and to me it is only on principal becuase I have no need for a scaler and only wanted to recieve HiRez audio VIA HDMI and switch HD video which the 1069 does with the new board without issue.

Audio Issues:

1.) At this point it seems the DYN is stuck on low. Meaning there is not dynamic range for Dolby Digital. This issue is still being looked at by Rotel but no fix or resolution is yet available.

2.) There are a couple associated with DVD A as PCM and PLIIx that Kevin knows much more about then I do, and perhaps he will post his findings.

Here are my final thoughts before I post the official response from the VP of Rotel. For me personally the 1069 now does what I want it to do. If you dont need a scaler and want to accept hirez PCM from HD DVD, BD, DVD A etc (all as PCM), and switch HD video then this unit and the fix makes it a good processor for your needs.

If you want and feel your dollars are going towards a video scaler and have need to do something like use the processor to upconvert 480p to 1080p then this processor and the fix the addition of the board offers will make this unit not work for you. You will notice the video issues.

Here is the response from the Vice President of Rotel I recieved by email from Rotel:

Originally posted by Vice President of Rotel
    In response to the half dozen enthusiasts who post here and have asked for changes to the Rotel RSP 1069 including the RSX 1058 these are now available.

The video market has been a moving target for quite sometime and will probably continue to be well into the future. Whether today’s fixes will stand the test of time is to be seen and we appreciate the people who have taken the time to work with Rotel to resolve their issues. Unfortunately every story has two sides and while Rotel makes a concerted effort to make a product for the world market from time to time customer’s usage and understanding does differ from the engineers. In these situations Rotel will make every reasonable effort to work through a customer problem to provide the end user with a unit that performs to his expectation providing it is within the scope of the unit.

It’s clear from the number of units Rotel sells worldwide that a limited number of customers have been affected and if you feel you are not getting the video quality you expect and have ruled out the monitor etc. you can return your unit to the technical department for modification. There will be no charge for the changes but shipping and handling are at the customer’s expense.

The modifications remove the scaling function from the HDMI path and permit RX to TX throughput. Analog signals and OSD are switched in and out of the HDMI path as necessary ensuring the optimal signal path. The users have the choice of opting in or out of this “straight through” path by an OSD selection menu screen.

The 1080P signal has always been a “straight through” signal and as such doesn’t change. If users feel their 1080P signal is degraded then they should examine other parts of their system including the cables and monitor. The Rotel units are part of a system chain and it’s very apparent that all parts must work together and we have seen this not always to be the case.

Rotel will be supporting software upgrades on both the original and revised video cards going forward and reserves the right to issue software patches when they see fit. This includes the RSP 1069 and RSX 1058.
  • Alaric
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Jan 2006

Am I missing something here , or do you have to pay shipping to get your scaler removed and have an expensive processor actually process ?
    Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
    Marantz PM-KI Pearl
    Schiit Modi 3
    Marantz CD5005
    Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• esaleris
      • Dec 2007

A couple of things:

... causing all video to look darker then normal and a major loss of detail in black levels...
      Do you mean darker as less bright, or darker as in the picture was darker. Mine picture definitely looks less bright (washed out) on my projector and for some reason, pixel convergence is worse through HDMI, than plugging straight in.

Analog signals and OSD are switched in and out of the HDMI path as necessary ensuring the optimal signal path.
      Does that mean that it will transcode analog to HDMI with the new update. I guess that's all I need, although I kinda did pay for a scaler.

How long did it take to get your Rotel fixed up? Between sending it in and receiving it back?

Comment

• Kevin D
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2002

Ok, to add to Nolan's message. I've used the 1069 output in two ways; component video for about a month and then HDMI.

On component:
        The black crush issue is not present, but the video jerkiness is. Any SD input to any output does not appear to cause issues (component or S-video). Since the add-on board only allows you to disable the scaler on HDMI inputs, it's not going to help if you are using component video in to component video out.

From the design of it, the 1069 is not really geared towards using the component outputs anyway. It's fine for a secondary TV, but I would not recommend it if your primary TV does not have an HDMI input. (a work-around will follow).

Since the scaler is always active on the component video outputs and always set to one resolution choice for all inputs, any flagged macrovision sources will not be scaled. Currently this is only about 10-20% of standard DVD's, but could grow to even some TV programs. The problem comes into play because the scaler in the 1069 will also down-convert any HD source if you have the output set to 480p. Unfortunately, setting the global output to 480p is the only way to watch those 20% of DVD's.

If this were automatic like it is on their RVE-1060 scaler, there would be no problem. You would tell it you are using the component outputs and when it encounters a macrovision flag it temporarily changes to 480p. Once is doesn't see the flag it changes back to the last HD setting (720p or 1080i). This does not happen on the 1069. If you try to play one of those 20%, you will get a black screen. You have to go into the menu, change the output to 480p, then remember to change it back when you are done (or else your HD cable and HD-DVD's will be down-converted to 480p).

The last issue with using only the component output is the inability to get the HD surround tracks off of the HDMI inputs. The setup menu works the same as Rotel's older units, you select the video input and then the audio input. The only way you can select the audio to come from HDMI is to select the video to be HDMI. If you select the video to be HDMI and only use the component outputs, you won't see anything. There's no HDCP crap involved here, as you can set it up this way and not hook up an HDMI TV to the output and still hear the audio.

So.. The 1069 was not designed for people with no HDMI inputs on their TV. It makes sense that this goes against their engineers' thinking as they want it to work with the latest and greatest 1080p flat screen. Personally I've spent too much time and money getting my big CRT TV to look good in my room to run out and buy the newest plasma that looks worse then my current set does. I would imagine that the number of complaints for the issues above are small, if not relatively non-existent. The truth is that 90% of the people purchasing a 1069 probably all-ready have a HDMI TV, or are buying a 1080p flat screen with it. While it should be just software issues to fix the component video problems, I'm not sure how long it will take to see an update, if ever.

As far as the DYN issue on Dolby Digital tracks.. Take any disc that has a Dolby and DTS track and swap between the two. While most people will say the DTS version sounds better, the truth is its hard to tell the difference. With the 1069 the Dolby track has to be 10-15 clicks higher on the volume just to match the DTS track. Also everything on the Dolby track is equally loud. This makes you think the dynamic compression is turned on. When you hit the DYN button, not only do you realise it wasn't on but that each setting doesn't change the sound at all. So with no proof but our ears, we believe the dynamic range is stuck on MIN.

The issue I had with DVDA I can't reproduced right now, so that may have been one particular disc.

One issue I have had, that Nolan hasn't, is locking up the DSP chip. On my system, using a Dish Network HD receiver, if I skip forward a lot when listening to a Dolby Digital channel I can lock the DSP chip up requiring a power cycle to restore sound. Changing inputs does not fix it. Might just be the way the Dish restores the bitstream as Rotel is having a hard time tracking it down.

A possible related issue, applying any 7.1 matrix to a DTS 96/24 track will lock the DSP chip up the same way. XS or PLIIx will only play 1-3 minutes before you have to power-cycle. I haven't relayed this to them yet, so no info on that.

Now on to the HDMI issues. I finally found an HDMI converter box with HDCP that works with my Mitsubishi TV. The one I have isn't made anymore, but I would suggest Googling for an HD-Fury adapter if you have a VGA input but no HDMI inputs. My box converts HDMI to component.

From all my tests, it seems the crushed black level (dark screen) on HDMI comes from the fact the scaler uses RGB HDMI as it's output. HDMI can come in two flavors, RGB and YPbPr (computer or component). Really this only effects the black level of the signal. Some TV's with HDMI inputs do not support RGB HDMI. If you feed an RGB HDMI signal into one that only supports YPbPr, you will get a darker screen with crushed blacks. This is probably why Nolan saw it but the problem is not as wide spread. My converter box will take in either and my brightness level is fine. There may be a timing difference between the two types as well and that's why Nolan sees the jerkiness. Adding the converter box (which has to recreate the timings to convert the signal on component) has pretty much eliminated my jerkiness. I have to look real hard to notice it, even on a screen full of text.

So Nolan is happy with the scaler bypassed. I'm happy since my converter box handles RGB HDMI signals. Honestly if you're using the HDMI output and your TV supports RGB HDMI you probably won't have any of these issues. If your TV is 1080p (or supports 1080p signals) you shouldn't have any issue either. If you aren't sure, get with your dealer to make sure you can exchange it if you're not happy. If all of your HD capable sources are HDMI, you might want to request a modified unit when ordering. That way you have the option to bypass the scaler from the beginning.

Aside from the obvious bugs mentioned in the middle, the 1069 is a great unit that honestly sounds better then my 1098 did. If Rotel doesn't announce anything new at CES next week I will have no problem recommending it...as long as you don't fall into the problem categories above.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Kevin D
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Oct 2002

Originally posted by esaleris
          Does that mean that it will transcode analog to HDMI with the new update. I guess that's all I need, although I kinda did pay for a scaler.
          Correct, all HDMI sources get the video passed straight through with the audio pulled from the signal. All analog source still get scaled and then converted to HDMI. With the new board you still only need one HDMI going form the 1069 to your TV.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Kevin D
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Oct 2002

Do you darker as less bright, or darker as in the picture was darker. Mine picture definitely looks less bright (washed out) on my projector and for some reason, pixel convergence is worse through HDMI, than plugging straight in.
            I tend to think of washed out as too much brightness, but it's all semantics without pictures. What you would see is the 'black' information being missing (so black would be a dark gray color) and then all other shades of brightness being knocked down. While it's hundreds of shades, it's easy to explain this way:

If the whole brightness scale is 16 steps, 1 is pure black and 16 is pure white. The problem would be 1-4 missing from the signal. 5 would become what 1 should be. Everything else would shift down as well. So what should be pure white (16) would now be about 12. Basically no blacks and dark whites.

Kevin D.

Comment

• esaleris
              • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Kevin D
              From all my tests, it seems the crushed black level (dark screen) on HDMI comes from the fact the scaler uses RGB HDMI as it's output. HDMI can come in two flavors, RGB and YPbPr (computer or component). Really this only effects the black level of the signal.
              If you get the bypass-board installed, does that mean that the input HDMI and output HDMI signals are 1:1? For some reason, the introduction of the Rotel RSP-1069 worsens the pixel convergence on my projector. Here's a demonstration at 720P - two shots made with a tripod standing in the exact same position. Note the convergence issues of the second picture, especially the text:

Xbox 360 -> Panasonic PT-AE900 (HDMI)

Xbox 360 -> RSP-1069 -> Projector (All HDMI)

It's really obvious in person - more so than in the pictures, but you get the idea. The bluriness/convergence issue is not the camera setting, but appears whenever I involve the Rotel - it's just blurrier when sent through the RSP-1069. It's really a shame.

Comment

• Nolan B
                Super Senior Member
                • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Alaric
                Am I missing something here , or do you have to pay shipping to get your scaler removed and have an expensive processor actually process ?
                You should not have to pay for the shipping. Have your dealer send it to rotel to get the new board installed.

Comment

• Nolan B
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Sep 2005

If you get the bypass-board installed, does that mean that the input HDMI and output HDMI signals are 1:1? I've figured out that my projector is much worse (for some reason) at RGB HDMI than it is YPbPr HDMI and would like to stick to YPbPr HDMI.

It should be. As far as I can tell when the board is installed and you set the HDMI to 'bypass" it acts the same as using an HDMI switcher. Nothing should be done to the incoming video signal. If you find something different I would be interested to hear your results. If I were you I would take advantage of getting the board installed.

Comment

• Nolan B
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Sep 2005

A couple of things:

Do you mean darker as less bright, or darker as in the picture was darker. Mine picture definitely looks less bright (washed out) on my projector and for some reason, pixel convergence is worse through HDMI, than plugging straight in.

Here i a before and after picture using the scaler in the 1069 then bypassing in. Pay no attention to the blooming its caused by the camera not the display. The display has been professionally calibrated by one of the industry's best.

Here is what happened to the signal using the 1069

Here is what happens bypassing the signal using the installed board.

If anyone needs an an explanation about what these pictures show and what you are seeing let me know and I will post a response tomorrow when I get some more time.

In fact I can proabably take 2 new pictures because i didnt have my blinds down when I took these photos so its kinda bright.

Comment

• Alaric
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Jan 2006

Post all the explanations you want , I can see the artifacts in the first picture. I'm glad your 1069 makes you happy , and I truly hope it didn't take a lot of effort to make your processor actually work , but from the pictures you posted , my cheap-a$$ HTIB smokes what you're dealing with.
                      Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                      Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                      Schiit Modi 3
                      Marantz CD5005
                      Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• ILuvDefTech
                        • Nov 2004

One issue I have had, that Nolan hasn't, is locking up the DSP chip. On my system, using a Dish Network HD receiver, if I skip forward a lot when listening to a Dolby Digital channel I can lock the DSP chip up requiring a power cycle to restore sound. Changing inputs does not fix it. Might just be the way the Dish restores the bitstream as Rotel is having a hard time tracking it down.
                        This happens on my HTPC, dolby digital only, and my Motorola digital cable box(again dolby digital only).

For a multi-thousand dollar processor, this is all pretty disappointing. I'm having a hard time with the decision to keep this thing or not.

Comment

• Kevin D
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Oct 2002

Originally posted by ILuvDefTech
                          This happens on my HTPC, dolby digital only, and my Motorola digital cable box(again dolby digital only).

For a multi-thousand dollar processor, this is all pretty disappointing. I'm having a hard time with the decision to keep this thing or not.
                          Have you let Rotel know about it?

Kevin D.

Comment

• Nolan B
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Alaric
                            from the pictures you posted , my cheap-a$$ HTIB smokes what you're dealing with.

im not sure what you mean?

What kind of display do you have? Has it been calibrated? What do the test paterns show on your screen vs the ones shown on mine.

BTW the second picture is video running through the 1069 which is producing a pefect pass on that test patern.

Comment

• ILuvDefTech
                              • Nov 2004

Have you let Rotel know about it?

Kevin D.
                              Not yet. I've never contacted them before. How do I do so?

Comment

• Nolan B
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Sep 2005

Not yet. I've never contacted them before. How do I do so?
                                Need support, or just have a question? Contact Rotel here.

E-mail contacts:

For technical support and product inquiries: techsupport@rotel.com

For general inquires: marketing@rotel.com

For parts and service inquires: service@rotel.com

For inquires on European Products go to: Europe.Rotel.com

Mailing Address:

Rotel of America
                                54 Concord St.
                                North Reading, MA 01864-2699
                                tel: 978 664 3820
                                fax: 978 664 4109

Comment

• Alaric
                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                  • Jan 2006

In retrospect , I shot my mouth off before considering my crappy computer monitor.
                                  Foot firmly in mouth , I am not in a position to even have an opinion. Sorry.
                                  Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                                  Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                                  Schiit Modi 3
                                  Marantz CD5005
                                  Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• ILuvDefTech
                                    • Nov 2004

Thanks Nolan.

Has anyone tested passing a 1080/24p signal? I know it "should" just pass it through, but I'd like to know for sure. Building a home theater in the next house with a 24p capable projector, so knowing now would help.

Comment

• garak
                                      • Jul 2007

Has anyone tested passing a 1080/24p signal? I know it "should" just pass it through, but I'd like to know for sure. Building a home theater in the next house with a 24p capable projector, so knowing now would help.
                                      I'd like to know if anyone has done this successfully as well. For me, if I connect my Samsung BD-P1200 (which is a POS BTW) directly to the TV, it will allow me to select 1080p/24. However, if I connect it to the 1069, it won't let me select 1080p/24. I'm not sure if the Samsung is getting confused and thinks my TV can't handle 1080p/24 (which I would say is a real possibility based on my experiences with this piece of crap), or if the 1069 can't pass 1080p/24.

Comment

• Nolan B
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Sep 2005

Originally posted by garak
                                        I'd like to know if anyone has done this successfully as well. For me, if I connect my Samsung BD-P1200 (which is a POS BTW) directly to the TV, it will allow me to select 1080p/24. However, if I connect it to the 1069, it won't let me select 1080p/24. I'm not sure if the Samsung is getting confused and thinks my TV can't handle 1080p/24 (which I would say is a real possibility based on my experiences with this piece of crap), or if the 1069 can't pass 1080p/24.

im not sure...and perhaps if it doesnt work as is it works with the new board installed which allows you to bypass the scaler.

Comment

• ILuvDefTech
                                          • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Vancouver
                                          im not sure...and perhaps if it doesnt work as is it works with the new board installed which allows you to bypass the scaler.
                                          And part of the problem I've having, as well as some others, is that we paid for the scaler and want to use it.

Comment

• Nolan B
                                            Super Senior Member
                                            • Sep 2005

And part of the problem I've having, as well as some others, is that we paid for the scaler and want to use it.

Hey..i hear you, and I totally agree with you. Here is Rotel failed on the 1069. Basically they are saying the quality of the scaler with HDMI and all the issues it produces is aceptable to them and meets the quality standards they wanted to pass onto the consumer.

IMO the fix should be 1 of two things.

1.) Replace the scaler with one that works.
                                            2.) Provide the baord as a fix which bypasses the scaler and provide a 20% rebate.

Take my adivce and call Rotel if you are not happy

Comment

• esaleris
                                              • Dec 2007

Or they can buy us a 1080p display. :P

I'm very disappointed that it will take a "hack" to fix the issue. I would have thought that this could have been a software fix, due to the fact that:

a) the scaler is able to perform the logics to determine and scale correctly at 1080p
                                              b) the software upgrade function is a touted "feature" of the RSP-1069

How long was the turnaround on getting the board installed?

Comment

• Nolan B
                                                Super Senior Member
                                                • Sep 2005

Or they can buy us a 1080p display. :P

I'm very disappointed that it will take a "hack" to fix the issue. I would have thought that this could have been a software fix, due to the fact that:

a) the scaler is able to perform the logics to determine and scale correctly at 1080p
                                                b) the software upgrade function is a touted "feature" of the RSP-1069

How long was the turnaround on getting the board installed?
                                                you will have to call rotel and ask.

Comment

• esaleris
                                                  • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Vancouver
                                                  you will have to call rotel and ask.
                                                  Sorry, I wasn't trying to be annoying or anything, just asking what all of your experiences personally were - those who got the board replaced. I'll be talking to my dealer next week when I get back in town.

Comment

• Nolan B
                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                    • Sep 2005

Sorry, I wasn't trying to be annoying or anything, just asking what all of your experiences personally were - those who got the board replaced. I'll be talking to my dealer next week when I get back in town.
                                                    no eed to be sorry...and your not being annoying. i was being serious. To my knowladge I am the first and only person to get the new board. I got it as a test and the means to the way I recieved it is likely not what the will do going forward...so really you will have to call and ask because I dont know and I dont think anyone does.

Comment

• ILuvDefTech
                                                      • Nov 2004

1080/24p

Confirmed by Rotel.

It will only pass this signal with the HDMI bypass upgrade installed and while in HDMI bypass mode.

Best Regards,
                                                      Mr. Shane Kea
                                                      Rotel Service Supervisor
                                                      B&W Group USA

Comment

• garak
                                                        • Jul 2007

Confirmed by Rotel.

It will only pass this signal with the HDMI bypass upgrade installed and while in HDMI bypass mode.

Best Regards,
                                                        Mr. Shane Kea
                                                        Rotel Service Supervisor
                                                        B&W Group USA
                                                        Thanks for the info. That means I'll be sending mine in.

Comment

• piperpilot
                                                          • Jan 2008

Hi All,
                                                          I new here and wanted to introduce myself first. Hi, My name is John and I'm a Rotel-o-Holic :T . Actually, I just recently purchased separates (RSP-1069 & RMB-1095) to power my B&W 804s and its a HUGE improvement over the Receiver I was running before.

Anyway,
                                                          Thanks for the info on this. I just purchased my 1069 and experienced some video issues, started researching it and found this site (which is great by the way!) that described some of the issues I was having. I spoke to my dealer and they are going to take care of me and get a new 1069 with the mods done so I can swap mine out. Never would have known about the bypass mod if it wasn't for this site. I have a Pioneer Plasma TV and can use the scaler in that (which is probably better anyway), but I wanted the 1069 for Multi-Channel PCM via HDMI and HDMI switching. For me, this should work perfectly. The 1069 does sound incredible and hopefully this will fix my video issues.

Thanks All.
                                                          John
                                                          Last edited by piperpilot; 25 January 2008, 18:08 Friday.

Comment

• Dmantis
                                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                                            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by piperpilot
                                                            Hi All,
                                                            I new here and wanted to introduce myself first. Hi, My name is John and I'm a Rotel-o-Holic :T . Actually, I just recently purchased separates (RSP-1069 & RMB-1095) to power my B&W 804s and its a HUGE improvement over the Receiver I was running before.

Anyway,
                                                            Thanks for the info on this. I just purchased my 1069 and experienced some video issues, started researching it and found this site (which is great by the way!) that described some of the issues I was having. I spoke to my dealer and they are going to take care of me and get a new 1069 with the mods done so I can swap mine out. Never would have known about the bypass mod if it wasn't for this site. I have a Pioneer Plasma TV and can use the scaler in that (which is probably better anyway), but I wanted the 1069 for Multi-Channel PCM via HDMI and HDMI switching. For me, this should work perfectly. The 1069 does sound incredible and hopefully this will fix my video issues.

Thanks All.
                                                            John
                                                            Welcome to the forum. I hope your system come along with the upgraded rsp1069 preamp. It sounds like you have a killer system.

Dan

Comment

• piperpilot
                                                              • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Dmantis
                                                              Welcome to the forum. I hope your system come along with the upgraded rsp1069 preamp. It sounds like you have a killer system.

Dan
                                                              Thanks Dan.

Comment

• Pookie007
                                                                • Apr 2006

I recently upgraded to a 1069 and love it. I am using the component video inputs and the coax digital for audio and it works flawlessly.

Comment

• TommyV
                                                                  • Feb 2007

Thank you Kevin and Nolan for all your work on testing and reporting issues here for the rest of us. I could not have hoped for a better response from Rotel. Personally I wish they would have designed the unit without a scaler to begin with and reduced the cost. I have been holding out on an upgrade because, well my 1057 "just works".

I do have a couple of questions regarding the new board. Kevin you made a comment that with the new pass-through board that you "have the option the bypass the scaler". So this means you still have the option to use the scaler if you chose with the pass through board installed? I personally have no intention of using it as on Blu-ray/HD DVD playback, I need 1080/24 support and on my DirecTV HD DVR I need support for every resolution below 1080p so it seems the scaler is messing with the signal in both scenarios.

Kevin, on your audio issues with your dish HD receiver, are you using HDMI for audio or do you have a toslink cable hooked up? I have a DirecTV HR20 HD DVR hooked up toslink to my 1057 and have no audio issues as you reported. Just wondering is you have tried it both ways and have the same issue.

With Blu-ray having a seeming victory very soon and new players announced that decode every hi-rez format, the Rotel has again become a very attractive option.

Comment

• ILuvDefTech
                                                                    • Nov 2004

I can lock the DSP up with hdmi(cable box) and optical/coax(htpc).

Comment

• TommyV
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • Feb 2007

I can lock the DSP up with hdmi(cable box) and optical/coax(htpc).

This concerns me. I have a HTPC and DirecTV HD DVR. How often does this happen and is there anything that you can see causes this? I have never had any issue with my 1057 and I have never even updated the fw because i have seen no issues to fix.

I wonder if this is something that could be fixed with some kind of software update.

Comment

• ILuvDefTech
                                                                        • Nov 2004

Originally posted by TommyV
                                                                        This concerns me. I have a HTPC and DirecTV HD DVR. How often does this happen and is there anything that you can see causes this? I have never had any issue with my 1057 and I have never even updated the fw because i have seen no issues to fix.

I wonder if this is something that could be fixed with some kind of software update.
                                                                        The cable box via hdmi locks up when an HD channel goes nuts. The past month all of my HD channels via Insight Cable were pixelating and experiencing audio dropouts. If I switched to them, they would almost certainly lock the 1069 up. This was never a problem with the 1068. I bet you will be just fine. My cable service just sucks, but now I have to watch what channel I switch to...

My HTPC experiences A LOT of audio dropouts, and if I skip ahead too quickly on any movie with a Dolby Digital soundtrack there is the possibility of locking up. One thing I'm experimenting with on the HTPC is using different cables. I was using a no-name optical cable before that I knew wasn't the best quality. Today I just switched to a much thicker nicer Mon$ter cable. I watched movies for an hour today and experienced no dropouts or lockups. This isn't an advertisement for Mon$ter cable. I hate them, but if this cable solves my problems so be it. And it was free

I will say that I'm not having any video issues as the scaler is set to 1080p. One less thing to worry about, but finding out it won't pass 24p is a bit dissapointing.

Comment

• Kevin D
                                                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                                                          • Oct 2002
                                                                          • 4601

Originally posted by TommyV
                                                                          I do have a couple of questions regarding the new board. Kevin you made a comment that with the new pass-through board that you "have the option the bypass the scaler". So this means you still have the option to use the scaler if you chose with the pass through board installed?
                                                                          Right, the board only bypasses the HDMI inputs, and you can have all go through the scaler or none go through the scaler. All analog video inputs always go through the scaler.

Kevin, on your audio issues with your dish HD receiver, are you using HDMI for audio or do you have a toslink cable hooked up? I have a DirecTV HR20 HD DVR hooked up toslink to my 1057 and have no audio issues as you reported. Just wondering is you have tried it both ways and have the same issue.
                                                                          HDMI for me. Either from my HD-TIVO or my 622, anything with a Dolby Digital signal. It's appears to be any quick start-stop-start-stop transition in the bitstream. So an OTA channel breaking up, or skipping ahead too many times in a row.

Kevin D.

Comment

• ILuvDefTech
                                                                            Member
                                                                            • Nov 2004
                                                                            • 50

Is this new board official yet? Can I go to my dealer and request it? Is it free?

Comment

• esaleris
                                                                              Member
                                                                              • Dec 2007
                                                                              • 42

#39
                                                                              Yeah, confirmed with Rotel that the board is a) official, b) recommended and c) that it will pass 1080p24 when the scaler is bypassed. If your dealer is nice, it should be free and they will send it in for you, where it will be installed and sent back. Don't think it's a dealer-replacable item.

Comment

• ILuvDefTech
                                                                                Member
                                                                                • Nov 2004
                                                                                • 50

#40
                                                                                OK, so the cable swap made no difference. Is it just Kevin and I having problems with the DSP and Dolby Digital? I told Rotel about it and we exchanged a few emails back and forth, but I don't have an update from them. We can't be the only 2 with this problem.

Comment

• Nolan B
                                                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                                                  • Sep 2005
                                                                                  • 1792

#41
                                                                                  OK, so the cable swap made no difference. Is it just Kevin and I having problems with the DSP and Dolby Digital? I told Rotel about it and we exchanged a few emails back and forth, but I don't have an update from them. We can't be the only 2 with this problem.

I dont seem to get the DSP ock up issue when getting DD audio from my cable box when watching HD. MY HD channels always seem to go a little nuts when switching between them. Ill play around with it and try to lock it..but i havent noticed that issue yet.

Comment

• Nolan B
                                                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                                                    • Sep 2005
                                                                                    • 1792

#42
                                                                                    . One less thing to worry about, but finding out it won't pass 24p is a bit dissapointing.

With the board installed to bypass the scaler using HDMI it should pass 24p.

Comment

• ILuvDefTech
                                                                                      Member
                                                                                      • Nov 2004
                                                                                      • 50

#43
                                                                                      Audio Issues:

1.) At this point it seems the DYN is stuck on low. Meaning there is not dynamic range for Dolby Digital. This issue is still being looked at by Rotel but no fix or resolution is yet available.
                                                                                      I can confirm, for me, this is not an issue. Live Fee or Die Hard, 1:50 into it where the F-35 flies by. On Max it almost knocks me over. On min it sounds thin with little to no bass, no dynamic range at all.

I will say that I think this processor sounds really sweet. I agree with Kevin that mid-bass is improved, especially over my 1068.

I dumped my htpc. It was more trouble than it was worth anyway, and after Comcast took over Insight cable box lockups are gone. So as of now I have no issues with the 1069 other than it can't pass 1080/24p. But honestly I've never seen 24p, and I'm not sure it will offer much of an improvement.

Comment

• kiwi2000
                                                                                        Member
                                                                                        • Jan 2008
                                                                                        • 52

#44
                                                                                        HDMI issues

I am new to this forum and was an owner of the 1068 and now 1069.

I was extremely dissapointed that the staff at rotel did not take the time, again, to make sure the 1069 worked as described before release of the product. They made the same mistake with the 1068 and mine was never corrected and was eventually replaced with the 1069.

Does the new board correct the audio mute when OSD is selected through HDMI? I find this very bothersome when listening to CD if I inadvertently press the OSD to check a setting and silence is the result!

Does it also correct the aspect in the pass through mode allowing a 4:3 image to be displayed properly? What about proper brightness and contrast? Has anyone noticed anything of the video image being affected in a detrimental way with the pass though option enabled?

I am suprised of the email from rotel in this thread. They were telling me they cannot replicate my complaints and have been in incommunicado for about 30 days now by not replying to my emails for action.

Comment

• garak
                                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                                          • Jul 2007
                                                                                          • 310

#45
                                                                                          Turnaround time

For those of you who have gotten the bypass installed, about how long did it take?

I sent my 1069 in, and it arrived at Rotel today. So I'm just wondering about how long I'll have to live without it. I'm getting anxious because I didn't realize how difficult it would be surviving without my home theater. :cry:

Comment

Working...
                                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                          Search Result for "|||"