RSP 1069: Known issues, "Fixes", and Official stance from Rotel.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sprout
    • Jun 2005

Originally posted by Kevin D

Main 1.2.1
    Scaler 1.48

No idea, but it was pretty early on. If they never had a firmware update and have the 'bypass' option in the menu, they have it.

Kevin D.
    Kevin,

I am attempting to buy a 1069 from a dealer in the UK and want to know for sure it can bypass the scaling etc, and be confident it can pass 1080P 24

Above you mention bypass option in the menu system but the manual makes no mention of this? because it was not a function when produced? was there an addendum?

What is the wording in the menu system so I can ask the dealer to check.

Thanks

Comment

• Kevin D
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Oct 2002

There's an addendum, but I can't locate it. Under the VIDEO/HDMI menu will be a third line that says BYPASS: YES/NO.

Kevin D.

Comment

• sprout
        • Jun 2005

There's an addendum, but I can't locate it. Under the VIDEO/HDMI menu will be a third line that says BYPASS: YES/NO.

Kevin D.
        Very much apreciated :T

Comment

• sprout
          • Jun 2005

Kevin D.
          Just as an update, had my 1069 arrive with by pass :T and 1.2.1 Video: 1.48 :T

It also displays 080925 before the V1.2.1.
          Is this a date format for when the firmware on this particular unit was updated or a date of the firmware release, or nothing to do with either?

Have also had delivered with it a 1077 which will be my first foray into the class D

I have been away from Rotel for a few years for HT (last was 1098 and three 1080's plus other bits from that series) so this will be interesting.

Have been lots of palces in between, Parasound, Primare, Meridian, Onkyo ......

Have never parted with my two channel system from the BX range but that may be on the cards soon as I may try a 1092 if I get on OK with the 1077 (BX: RB-990, RCD-995, CD 990 and 991AE)

Think I will always keep the RCD-990

:T

Comment

• Kevin D
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Oct 2002

Originally posted by sprout

It also displays 080925 before the V1.2.1.
            Is this a date format for when the firmware on this particular unit was updated or a date of the firmware release, or nothing to do with either?

:T
            Date the firmware was released.

Kevin D.

Comment

• dp19
              • Jan 2008

Hi, and sorry for digging out an old thread but I figured this was the best place to post. I am about to upgrade my RSP-1068 to a RSP-1069 and I have a few questions about it.

Has the problem with the Dynamic Range (DYN) for Dolby Digital sources been fixed for the RSP-1069 (as described on the first page of this thread)?

If I have a PCM option on my blu-ray player (Panasonic DMP-BD80), am I losing any audio quality by using PCM with the RSP-1069 via HDMI versus having a pre-amp with Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD decoders? The player has analog outputs but I don't like the way it manages the bass, so I'm hoping that the 1069 will fix this. I would also definitely not want to be stuck with the DYN setting at MIN all the time.

Thanks
              Denis

Comment

• TommyV
                • Feb 2007

I am not aware of any issues with the DYN for DD. I use it often and it functions better and is more convenient than my disc players that have it because there is a discrete remote button and the are 3 levels as opposed to just ON/OFF.

With the most current software version I am completely satisfied with the bass mgmt and sound quality of all my high resolution audio via Multi LPCM. The 1069 sounds completely different than when I first purchased it in this regard. Even though the analog section on this pre/pro excellent, I have completely forgone using analog with exception of my external tuner because the digital sound so good. Even the DACs are upgraded ones from your 1068 so you will benefit from that as well. I personally like the 10 series better than the 15 series. Internal player decoding is preferable to me. The only decoder I would be most interested in would be DSD for SACD but the 1570 does not even have that so I am completely happy with the 1069.

I would be curious how the 1570 handles Muilt LPCM and if they have implemented as well as the 1069. Even if you have Dolby THD and DTS MA decoders, you are still going to run into BDs that use LPCM so if the pre/pro does not handle that signal properly, you would not be immune.

Hope that helps.

Comment

• Kevin D
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Oct 2002

The Dyn issue wound up being a new rule from Dolby they had to conform to. Any time you use Dolby Digital with no center channel, they have to apply dynamic compression. I run no center and that's why I noticed. If you have a center channel, you won't notice.

The PCM over HDMI should sound the same as bitstream to a receiver decoder, but there will be those that argue otherwise. The BD80 is a good player so you should be fine.

Kevin D.

Comment

• dp19
                    • Jan 2008

That's great! thanks for the info.

dp19

Comment

• dp19
                      • Jan 2008

OK so the rsp-1068 is gone and the rsp-1069 is installed in its place (woohoo!! lol)

When I have my Panasonic DMP-BD80 blu-ray set to PCM, I see "MULTI CHANNEL 48K" on the 1069's display. Maybe it's just me but I was expecting something better than 48K since that's what I get with regular DVDs. To me it seems that 6 channels of audio in a 48kbps stream doesn't seem very "lossless", I was expecing something like 192k at least. Also, shouldn't the display show "LPCM" instead of "MULTI CHANNEL"? If I set the player to bitstream I get either Dolby Digital or DTS on the 1069's display (depending on the disc). I am assuming that something is converting from DTS-HD to DTS (does the player know that the 1069 has no DTS-HD decoder?). My main test blu-ray disc is Avatar which has a DTS-HD track.

Could someone enlighten me on those two issues (48k, and conversion to DTS)?

I am also seeing another problem on the 1069 that was not there on the 1068. There seems to be a slight delay in the time that it takes to start playing a digital signal via coax or optical. When playing a CD in my Rotel RCC-1055 5-disc, I loose the first few milliseconds of each track (whether I skip tracks or just let it play). It sounds as if it's losing lock on the digital signal when there is no audio but the display is not indicating loss of lock. The same thing happens with my PC linked via optical. All the windows sound effects are cut off at the beginning but only if there is nothing else playing. If I play a song on the PC then the windows sounds are fine. This issue was not there with the rsp-1068. I have confirmed that the 1069 has the latest software for all 3 sections (video, main, audio) so an update is not an option at this time. Did anyone else notice this issue, and is there a way to fix it?

Thanks
                      Denis

Comment

• Blindamood
                        • Sep 2003

Originally posted by dp19
                        When I have my Panasonic DMP-BD80 blu-ray set to PCM, I see "MULTI CHANNEL 48K" on the 1069's display. Maybe it's just me but I was expecting something better than 48K since that's what I get with regular DVDs. To me it seems that 6 channels of audio in a 48kbps stream doesn't seem very "lossless", I was expecing something like 192k at least. Also, shouldn't the display show "LPCM" instead of "MULTI CHANNEL"? If I set the player to bitstream I get either Dolby Digital or DTS on the 1069's display (depending on the disc). I am assuming that something is converting from DTS-HD to DTS (does the player know that the 1069 has no DTS-HD decoder?). My main test blu-ray disc is Avatar which has a DTS-HD track.

Could someone enlighten me on those two issues (48k, and conversion to DTS)?
                        Seeing MULTI CHANNEL 48K on the display is perfectly normal, depending on the disk. I believe the highest you will see is 96K for multi-channel, however you can get 192K for two-channel, which displays as 2CH PCM. I just did this today on my RSP-1570, which operates no differently (when the player is decoding). Two-channel 192kHz material is not very prevelant, but sometimes appears as an option on DVD-Audio or maybe some blu-ray music discs. Mine was from an Alan Parsons HDAD disc, which is a form of DVD-A, and has different resolutions on each side of the disc.

As for DTS-HD, since the processor cannot decode it, the player bitstreams what it can handle, which is a DTS core track. You need to decode Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD in the player with the RSP-1069.
                        Brad

Comment

• dp19
                          • Jan 2008

If 48K is typical for LPCM then how is this an improvment from 48K DTS or Dolby Digital?

Comment

• TommyV
                            • Feb 2007

Almost all movie tracks are 48k. Lossless or not. There are a few 96K DTHD concerts.

Bitstream on BD is doing to give you DD. That is not a malfunction.

Your SPDIF locking problem I have heard of before but seems to be more of a problem on the 15 series. Check your cable. Use SPDIF with some other players and see if you can repeat the same problem. If not then your player's output is the problem.

Comment

• dp19
                              • Jan 2008

I just discovered a fix for the audio cutoff at the start of each track on CDs. By increasing the Group Delay setting for the CD input, the problem disappears. This must not be a locking issue because if it was, the audio would be lost regardless of the group delay setting (the display is not showing loss of lock either). I will try the same with the PC however i suspect it will throw off the audio/video syncronization a bit...

Comment

• jdc115
                                • Dec 2007

Originally posted by dp19
                                If 48K is typical for LPCM then how is this an improvment from 48K DTS or Dolby Digital?
                                The same way Dolby TrueHD or DTS HDMA at 48K will be an improvement over Dolby Digital and DTS at 48K. The same rate is not determining if it is lossless or not.

I am not sure if this thread is updated anymore but it lists the specs of many of the Blu-ray releases

I remember there being a "more official" site out there that had all titles by spec but I cannot find it now.

Comment

Working...
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"