X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Guybrush
    • Feb 2008

RSP-1069 and 3D

I have a Rotel RSP-1069 (with the HDMI pass mod done), a PS3 and a Sony projector.
    I want to watch 3D content but I know that the RSP-1069 is HDMI 1.1.
    However I read on a forum that it is possible to pass 3D content through the RSP-1069. Does anyone know how ??
    I thought that the only option was to buy an HDMI splitter (that can force 3D) or to buy a player that has two HDMI outputs.
  • hurin
    • Sep 2009

I used to own a 1069 (no mod) and trying to pass HDMI 1.3 just got me a black screen. If you set the config menu to passtrough but don't get a picture, I think you're out of luck.

I personally can't recommend HDMI splitters. All they have done for me is cost me money.

I think your best option is to buy the Panasonic BDT460.

Comment

• Guybrush
      • Feb 2008

Originally posted by hurin
      I used to own a 1069 (no mod) and trying to pass HDMI 1.3 just got me a black screen. If you set the config menu to passtrough but don't get a picture, I think you're out of luck.

I personally can't recommend HDMI splitters. All they have done for me is cost me money.

I think your best option is to buy the Panasonic BDT460.
      I ordered an HDMI splitter with the smart EDID function (100€). I hope it works...
      Why do you suggest the Panasonic BDT460 ?

Comment

• ldgibson76
        • Aug 2011

Originally posted by Guybrush
        I ordered an HDMI splitter with the smart EDID function (100€). I hope it works...
        Why do you suggest the Panasonic BDT460 ?
        Hello Guybrush.

I think the reason why hurin suggested the Panasonic BDT-460 Is because it has dual HDMI outs. One for video/audio the other for audio only. There are several models available with the dual HDMI out stage, but the options are diminishing.

I have a very similar situation with my setup. I too use the Rotel RSP-1069. In my configuration, I actually have 2 standalone blu-ray players, one being the Sony BDP-S5000ES and the other, the Samsung BD-F7500. The Samsung has the 3D capability and it has dual HDMI outs. I use the Sony for regular blu-rays because it's a reference-level device and playback performance is outstanding. The Samsung is strictly for 3D playback.

So for those who have legacy v1.1 HDMI equipped pre-pros or AVR's which due to bandwidth limitations, are unable to pass 3D, then Panasonic BDT-460, Samsung BD-F7500, Sony BDP-S790 and the Oppo BDP-103 & 105 are good solutions. All have dual HDMI outputs. I hope this helps.

When it comes to the splitter solution, it's 50/50 that it will work. I initially tried the splitter route, and it failed miserably. :nonod:
        Regards,

ldgibson76
        My Setup
        The 2 Channel Within
        "Chance favors only the prepared mind."
        -Louis Pasteur

"Foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
        -Douglas Adams

Comment

• Guybrush
          • Feb 2008

I connected the splitter and everything works great. The only limitation is that if I watch 3D I need to use the optical audio output (which is limited to lossy 5.1), probably because the RSP-1069 doesn't recognize the 3D flag and outputs no audio. However it's not so bad considered that the switch cost me just 100€. The PS3 is such a good player, I don't know if the Panasonic BDT-460, the Sony BDP-S790 or the Samsung BD-F7500 are as good as the PS3 (reading the reviews the Oppo seems superior but it costs quite a lot).

Comment

• ldgibson76
            • Aug 2011

I connected the splitter and everything works great. The only limitation is that if I watch 3D I need to use the optical audio output (which is limited to lossy 5.1), probably because the RSP-1069 doesn't recognize the 3D flag and outputs no audio. However it's not so bad considered that the switch cost me just 100€. The PS3 is such a good player, I don't know if the Panasonic BDT-460, the Sony BDP-S790 or the Samsung BD-F7500 are as good as the PS3 (reading the reviews the Oppo seems superior but it costs quite a lot).
            Hello again Guybrush.

Thank you for your reply to my post. It's good to read that the HDMI splitter is providing the solution to your quandary. I initially used a Monoprice 1 in/2 out HDMI splitter, but at that time, I was using the Sony-BDP-S5100 3D BD player which has 1 HDMI out. The results where pretty similar to what you're experiencing now. The 3D video passed thru to the TV without issue. It was the audio signal that I wasn't satisfied with.

Instead of the DTHD or DTS-HD/MA codec, the S5100 downmixed the signal to 2 channel which the 1069 converted to Dolby Pro logic IIx. In order to get a DD or DTS lossy, I had to connect an optical cable. So in order to experience the hi-res codecs, it was either upgrade my processor (equivalent quality, a minimum of $1500.00) or opt for far less expensve solution,... a blu-ray player that sported a 2 HDMI output stage and had the ability to convert the lossless codec to 7.1 LPCM and send via HDMI. I chose the latter.

Now that I'm pretty sure that I have bled the Rotel RSP-1069 for all it's worth and capable of, meaning, I have been able to forego upgrading my pre-pro by adding periphery devices that allow me to experience most of the recent technologies available. But due to the new immersive audio formats that have been introduced and the upcoming 4K media that will be available in the Fall 2015 (4K BD players, and quite possibly 4K blu-rays), that's a game changer and new devices will be needed to accommodate the higher bandwidths required to experience it.

I'm hoping Rotel will eventually introduce products that are truly 4K ready,.... HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2/Atmos/Auro 3D/DTS:X ready and capable. So far, I haven't seen Rotel's name mentioned with the other manufacturers that have confirmed that they are on board and commited to the new technologies. Rotel just reveal it's new RSP-1582 flagship Pre-pro. No doubt, it's a beast of a pre-pro. The specs are epic when it comes to audio. It has 4K pass thru capability or does it?

You see, I doubt that it does because it suffers from too many "Ain't gots"!
            -Ain't got HDCP 2.2, (A must-have for true 4K performance! Without it, 4K is a non-starter).
            -Ain't got Atmos,
            -Ain't got Auro 3D,
            -Ain't got DTS:X!!

At $3499.99 MSRP, that's pretty hefty, especially when products are and will be introduced that offers the above "Ain't Gots" for as low as a third of the 1582's list price. They will definitely not have the audio prowness the 1582 offers, but for the average HT hobbiest, $3499.99 will be hard to justify.

I love Rotel's commitment to it's "audio first" mantra, but I'm hoping they will introduce a replacement for the RSP-1572 ($2K price range) that has the immersive audio capability, 4K video performance and the highly regarded Rotel audio performance, housed in the signature Rotel aesthetic.
            Last edited by ldgibson76; 27 April 2015, 13:52 Monday.
            Regards,

ldgibson76
            My Setup
            The 2 Channel Within
            -Louis Pasteur

-Douglas Adams

Comment

• ldgibson76
              • Aug 2011

By the way, the PS3 for a while, did hold the mantle as the blu-ray player of choice, mainly due to it's versatility (gaming/internet browsing/movie playback) As a dye in the wool blu-ray player, it's adequate, especially by today's standards. But the flagship offerings from Sony, Samsung and Panasonic and the Oppo products are superior players to the PS3.
              Regards,

ldgibson76
              My Setup
              The 2 Channel Within
              -Louis Pasteur

-Douglas Adams

Comment

• madmac
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2010

Originally posted by ldgibson76
                By the way, the PS3 for a while, did hold the mantle as the blu-ray player of choice, mainly due to it's versatility (gaming/internet browsing/movie playback) As a dye in the wool blu-ray player, it's adequate, especially by today's standards. But the flagship offerings from Sony, Samsung and Panasonic and the Oppo products are superior players to the PS3.
                The Oppo player.......yes.........but not as much as you would think, and the price difference between the Oppo and the PS3 doesn't justify the increased performance (Unless you have deep pockets!). However, it is doubtful that the Sony, Panny and Samsung players would outperform the PS3 in any meaningful way.
                Dan Madden :T

Comment

• ldgibson76
                  • Aug 2011

Originally posted by madmac
                  The Oppo player.......yes.........but not as much as you would think, and the price difference between the Oppo and the PS3 doesn't justify the increased performance (Unless you have deep pockets!). However, it is doubtful that the Sony, Panny and Samsung players would outperform the PS3 in any meaningful way.
                  Hello madmac.

I am speaking from my personal experience with all the devices. Although the video performance is very close between them all, I prefer the performance of the standalone players. The PS3 is notorious for fan noise and depending on the model, the audio capabilities are limited, (ex. The ability to decode & convert hi-res surround format to 7.1 LPCM).

When it comes to the Oppo, it does have audio features and capabilities which in some opinions, does justify the price difference. We all have our preferences.
                  Regards,

ldgibson76
                  My Setup
                  The 2 Channel Within
                  -Louis Pasteur

-Douglas Adams

Comment

• Guybrush
                    • Feb 2008

I didn't make a shoot-out, but reading many reviews and forums I understood that Blu-Ray video playback is very similar between the PS3 and the other players mentioned. Speaking of Blu-Ray audio, since I have a 5.1 setup, there is no difference for me, since everything is sent to the pre-pro in LPCM 5.1. Regarding DVD video playback I have read that the Oppo outperforms the PS3. Fan noise is very low in my PS3 model. The only thing that would be useful is the support of .mkv files, which can be worked around using a mkv to avi converter.

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"