X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RockShow01
    • Oct 2006

volume problems with rsx-1067

My RSX-1067 has begun to misbehave. I have loved how well this receiver has performed in the past year; however, about one week ago, I began to have serious problems with volume control. I have had two dvrs as source to my receiver and volume from one channel to the next is very inconsistent, and sometimes even normal volume levels carry distortion into my speakers. As a test, I have wired my latest dvr direct to my monitor and volume control seems to be very normal in this configuration. I have not used this receiver for a lot of loud playback so it is not as if I have “burned out” any components.

I already tried switching the receiver off and leaving it for over two hours, but this has not helped.

Any ideas?
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

Which DVR and are you using the digital output of it? The sound from a channel broadcast in Dolby Digital should be a lot quieter then one broadcasting in stereo PCM. But if it's just suddenly occurring in the last week, I doubt that's the issue.

Does the volume fluctuate a lot when left on the same channel? If it doesn't and you are only using the analog connections then it's most likely the TV system or DVR. If you are using the digital connection, then it could be the 1067 or the DVR/cable system. Since the 1067 has no idea when you change a channel, the stopping and starting of a digital stream would be the only catalyst.

So give us some more info on brand dvr, connection type, and cable/dss system and we'll try to help narrow it down.

Kevin D.

Comment

• RockShow01
      • Oct 2006

Thank you Kevin D, I was hoping to hear from you on this.

When this problem first started, I had a Motorola DCT6416III HD dvr connected to the receiver using Red/White cables. I believe these are knows as RCA type cables. For the past two months there were no issues. The sound performance was satisfactory. I should also mention, I think, that since I started using the Motorola dvr, I’ve been running two speakers only: FL and FR with the CC shut down using the receiver’s speaker set-up options.

I decided to go with the series 3 TiVo as a replacement to the Motorola dvr thinking that it might solve this problem and some others I was having. Sound problems remain however. The TiVo is connected using the same type cables as before but now they are the ones supplied with the TiVo box.

Sound volume doesn’t change while staying on one channel. If it is silent it remains that way. If it satisfactory volume but with some distortion, that remains the same as well.

Could one solution be a transition to an optical cable?

Comment

• RockShow01
        • Oct 2006

By “cable/dss system” you mean what exactly?

One thing I just noticed: while watching something for a prolonged period of time, I noticed that the dialog and sound track seem to fade in and out independent of each other.

Comment

• Kevin D
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Oct 2002

By cable/dss I meant what style TV company you have, you answered that as cable.

With only having the analog RCA's connected, we actually have ruled out any issues from the digital connection. You might not have the issue using a digital connection, but that may confuse the problem.

So you only have the FL and FR connected, and you've set the other 6 speakers to none? Are you enabling any sound field or are you leaving it on stereo? If it's on a sound field, does it go away hitting the stereo button? If not hit it again and set it to 2ch bypass. Does it sound fine in bypass mode?

Any other source connected to the unit with just the analog cables? Do they sound fine? Can you run the DVR's output to those inputs and does it still sound bad there?

With it connected analog, you've really got three things:

1) Problem with the signal that messes up on multiple cable boxes (not likely)
          2) Problem with the analog circuit (no likely it other inputs work fine)
          3) Problem with what the 1067 does with the signal in the digital board.

#3 is most likely. Setting the mode to stereo will rule out any issue converting the signal to a surround format, then converting it back to stereo. Setting it to 2ch Bypass will rule the digital board causing the issue (you might want to connect them RCA's to the multi-input board to check as well)

Like I said, using the analog inputs, the 1067 has no idea when the channel is changed so if it was a problem with the connection or circuits, you should see every issue manifest just sitting on the same channel. I'm gonna guess you have it set to a surround mode and may not have all the speakers disabled. Even if you do, you should leave it in stereo mode.

Kevin D.

Comment

• RockShow01
            • Oct 2006

Good news guys. I went into the set up menu and discovered that somehow my settings had been reset. The CC was no longer at None but was set to small. Once I switched that back to None along with the surrounds, my sound output is 100% back to normal. I guess I should have known something was wrong when a week or two ago, I noticed my volume speed was no longer set to “Fast” and I went back in and adjust that. I just didn’t put it together that my sound issues were based on the system resetting itself. The reset had something to do with a power outage or interupption, I think. Next time I hear problems associated with the dialogue portion of a soundtrack, I’ll know the settings for the CC should be the first place to look.

Thanks Kevin D. You’re a life saver

Comment

• Kevin D
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Oct 2002

Good deal. The 10 series has a tendency to default its settings after quick power surges, some be sure to check it regularly. The volume speed is a good indicator.

Kevin D.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"