X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ajpoe
    • Jul 2004

Stand alone DVR

My brother asked me if there was such a thing as a stand alone DVR. I have Tivo so i've never looked for something like this. He just wants the simplicity of recording cable to a HDD, watch it and then delete it. He doesn't even care about a guide or anything. He just wants to set recording times like a VCR. We know we can build a computer to do this job, but he wants something small like a DVD player to just use in his bedroom. He'd like to spend $250 or less if possible. I found a Pioneer DVR/DVD recorder in that price range but it only burns to disk and lets u watch from the start of a show via memory buffering. It also only has 6 hours max per disk and he'd rather have up around 20 hours total to work with. The only unit by Pioneer that has a HDD in it jumps the price up to $800. Are there any simple stand alone boxes out there like a VCR that use HDD?
    AJPoe - - Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional!
  • Shane Martin
    Super Senior Member
    • Apr 2001

A cheap 40 gig Tivo for $100 would do the trick. Can buy one direct from Tivo for $100 with free shipping and a 30 day guarantee.

He'll have to pay the monthly fee for the service though but that's no biggie.

Comment

• ajpoe
      • Jul 2004

Yeah, he didn't care about the features of Tivo and was wondering if there's something like a VCR where he would't have to subscribe to any services.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

There was a JVC DVD recorder that had a hard drive in it and was set up similar to what he wanted but it was discontinued. Most of the DVD recorders that use DVD-RAM offer features closer to Tivo but you're limited in length of recording time..though you can resue the discs. As shane points out though a cheap Tivo is likely your best option.

Comment

• ajpoe
          • Jul 2004

Thanks guys. I suggested that he just suck it up and get the Tivo too. Most people don't realize how great it is until they've actually used it.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"