X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

TiVo making a comeback at my house!

I decided to switch things up with TV. I'm diversifying so to speak. I'll have some DirecTV, and same cable. I cut my Directv package down to the lowest available, and kept Showtime. I'm saving approximately $70.00 a month on it by only turning HBO off, and loosing a bunch of nothing channels I didn't watch to begin with!!! It's still 2 HD DVRs and I still have Showtime.

To support my recording and playback needs, I decided to go for a new TiVo. I always liked Tivo as a product, of course, any DVR is similar, true enough these days. But TiVo of course, is designed for cable. I had a pending lifetime cable subscription transfer to take advantage of. About a $500.00 value on the subscription lifetime service. Why? Because I had TiVo when it first came out, and i was notified many years ago, I could take advantage of a one time transfer to a new system when I contacted them. I never got that new box, I kept getting TiVo emails, so I was still registered in their system. In fact, I still have the old 4:3 TiVo box somewhere here, one or two actually!

I cannot say enough nice things about TiVo allowing me to transfer my lifetime subscription from a box I purchased years ago, to today's technology box. If you were buying both, it would be over 1K. So, as is, I only pay half that. Yes, it's a lot. But I hope to get many years service out of it, as long as cable remains viable as a budget add on. If it stops, then I will do something else. Having my hand in both, gives me the option to go either way, or let both go and go OTA! (OverTheAir) I also have some OTA channels, not a lot, but all my local in hd. Quality is somewhat spotty.

So, here's what I have coming, it's a Roameo Pro, the max size HD for recording shows. I don't know how much recording I will do, but it's bound to be a better cable interface than my budget free cable boxy Comcast provided. This is how TV is changing today. I upgraded my internet from the slowest package available, to a higher speed internet for $5.00 + fees a month. With that, came free HBO for at least a year. So, I'm paying for my cable internet service, and essentially getting the cable tv as a budget add on. What channels? Well, that remains to be seen, how much I get,, but I know I get HBO, and my local channels, which will provide a good backup for bad weather on DirecTV. As you know, when the weather sucks, so too does DirecTV.

So, I'm waiting for Roameo Pro to show up.

I finally got some time to sit down and see what was left of my DirecTV programming after cutting my package to the bone. Well, I can say, NOT MUCH! I cannot believe they don't give you CNN HD, come on! I may wind up cutting it off. Initially, I am very disheartened by how little they gave me for 29.99 a month.

Be aware, if you ask for the cheapest price available from Directv, it is a package that is NOT listed on their web site. It is not the select package listed with 125 channels, as the lowest available online. the lowest 29.99 package channels are not listed online, they have to send those to you via email I guess... http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/packag...questid=917081

UPDATE SAT 12/13/14 Directv conversation, no b*tching required. It was a pleasant conversation that upgraded me from the 50 or 60 channels in the $29.99 a month package which I might add, is NOT on their web site. No cost increase to me. She did whatever she had to do to find the discounts. So my rate didn't go up. i got my Cnn and more back.

Basically all i had to do was tell her, i was already getting those same channels from CC for barely more than the cost of my internet. That did it, she sharpened her pencil then. They do not want to lose customer base. I am sure it's a directive from the top. You start losing customers that have been there 15 years, you are in trouble. Yes, i first got Directv in 1999.

I think they are all in fear now with the new viewability options consumers have with hulu, Netflix, Amazon prime... They are scared. the consumer wins.

Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

TiVo is in the house. Discoveries.

Apparently, TiVo is compatible with Amazon Prime, good to know though I don't have Prime. I haven't really looked to see what all it interfaces with via the internet, but it does have a direct lan connection, or wireless if you choose. My Tivo is sitting so close to my router, I have it and my Samsung 4K TV connected via hard wire. It's generally more reliable and simpler anyway. Sort of strange that many devices I connect via hard wire, and computers, I connect wirelessly, ha. One would think just the opposite.

I am having issues with Comcast cable card. Not even sure I feel like writing it all down at this point. Let's just say I have been for 2 different cable cards, and talked to so many people on phone it's not funny trying to get my included HBO to work on my TiVo. It has been pretty ridiculous honestly. I have managed mostly to be a nice guy about it, and keep my sense of humor over it. the basic cable feed works fine, it's only the HBO feed that won't come on. I get bounced between tech support and activations, one laying fault to the other, and also being told it was setup as a cable box initially, not as a cable card and that is the problem. Yet I went to office and told them that, got a new card, and still hit the same wall. a local tech is supposed to come out from 3-5 today and see if they can get it working. I'll be curious to see if he resolves it, or it goes into next week.

My TV connections have gotten more complex. I have 2 HDMI splitters running. One on 1 side of my AV system, accepting DTV/BD/HDDVD HDMI, and outputting to a second HDMI powered splitter across the isle to my TiVo/3DBD/Samsung 4K station. This is where it gets interesting. Both of my displays are output out of this HDMI splitter with remote. So, they can both be active at same time via TiVo, or and left isle HDMI sources. Left side (main system) HDMI sources, rely upon standard Lexicon MC12 audio switching. Right side, TiVo/3dBD, and USB drive all rely upon Samsung one connect audio out (digital SPDIF), that goes back across isle to main system auxilary input. LOL. This setup is not for the simple minded. haha.

Only my cable guy hall of fame brain could come up with such a wild scheme. hehe. But it works. The only drawback is, if I run TiVo to plasma I am forced to run both TVs at once to get my audio from the Samsung one connect Samsung TV has to be on to carry that. I could work around it with some more reverse connections to A/V system. But I am really trying to keep it as simple as possible.

More later.
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

Working...
    😀
    😂
    🥰
    😘
    🤢
    😎
    😞
    😡
    👍
    👎
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"