X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Armbender
    • Jul 2005

RDV1060 Problem

I have had this DVD player for almost a year with it working perfectly. No when I play DVD's it makes A LOT of spinning noises when loading the DVD. Also when it jumps through the chapters and the begining it creates a load spinning noise. Almost as if the DVD is spinning out of control on the loading tray.

Has anybody come across this and if so what was the remedy?

Thanks
    Samsung UN60C6300 | Primare SP32 | Primare A30.7 | Oppo BDP-103 | PS Audio Quintet | AppleTV | ELAC 247 Black Edition | ELAC CC 241 Black Edition | B&W DM 600 S3 | SVS PC 13 Ultra | Straight Wire Virtuoso | Harmonic Technology Pro 9's | Black Sands Power Cords
  • fordster
    • Feb 2005

I've not had this exact problem but if it's spinning a lot it sounds like it's struggling to read the discs. Could be the transport or laser need looking at. You need to send it back to Rotel for them to look at (I presume it's still in warranty?).
    Dave

Comment

• Armbender
      • Jul 2005

Thanks..Ill talk to my dealer.. I believe it still has some warrenty on it
      Samsung UN60C6300 | Primare SP32 | Primare A30.7 | Oppo BDP-103 | PS Audio Quintet | AppleTV | ELAC 247 Black Edition | ELAC CC 241 Black Edition | B&W DM 600 S3 | SVS PC 13 Ultra | Straight Wire Virtuoso | Harmonic Technology Pro 9's | Black Sands Power Cords

Comment

• chinets
        • Jun 2005

RDV 1060 has a lot of problems. I have 4 friends of mine and I that have bought the RDV 1060 at the same time, and we have all sent it back to Rotel for Major repairs with the Laser Alignment problems they have and the fact that it breaks down immediately after you achieve spinning problems as you have described.
        We all bought Marantz Dv 9600 NOW and we are all happy campers now especially that this dreaded RDV 1060 is out of our lives.
        Rotel make great Amps and Processors such as the The 1095 amp and 1098 Pre/Pro, but there DVD gear is good at first ,but breaks down very fast. We all had warranties and we all made Rotel refund us back in full through our dealer so we got the Marantz DVD player and never looked back!!
        My 2 cents,
        Cheers,
        Chinets

Comment

• sirbogey
          • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Armbender
          I have had this DVD player for almost a year with it working perfectly. No when I play DVD's it makes A LOT of spinning noises when loading the DVD. Also when it jumps through the chapters and the begining it creates a load spinning noise. Almost as if the DVD is spinning out of control on the loading tray.

Has anybody come across this and if so what was the remedy?

Thanks
          Had exactly the same problem 2 months ago. Was lucky it was still under warranty. Rotel exchanged the whole loading tray, but their answer was "they didn't find any fault with the player, but exchanged the tray as a precaution".... :E

so just send it in...

Comment

• Armbender
            • Jul 2005

Going in today right after work

Comment

• sirbogey
              • Mar 2006

I'm not so sure you are gonna like it... I played couple of CDs this evening and a few CDs still cause a lot, I mean a lot(!) of spinning noise, but only the last couple of tracks. I initially noticed that on DVDs, towards the end of the movie. As for me, I'm gonna move away from Rotel and upgrade to another CD/DVD player. Not happy at all! :M

Comment

• fordster
                • Feb 2005

Mine seems to be going the same way! It's not packed in yet but sometime it refuses to play DVDs. It spins for a while and then stops. Other times it will play a disc but then if I pause or stop the film to do something else it won't resume when I come back, it just spins for a while and then stops. Sometimes it will play fine and then fail when trying to go back to the menu at the end of the film. Most of the time it works perferctly though and CDs are not a problem. It will be going back to my dealer for a repair at some point (they're closed whilst relocating at the moment).

I'm not sure what I'd buy as a new DVD player at the moment. I used to have a Denon 2800 MkII and that was very unreliable (and the service from Denon was cr*p, at least Rotel's service is very good). I'm starting to think I should just buy a cheap (Pioneer maybe?) DVD player in the future. The only problem is that as I'm tight for space I also use it for CD replay hence why I had the Denon and now the Rotel. Maybe a Benchmark DAC on a cheapo player is the answer?
                Dave

Comment

• sirbogey
                  • Mar 2006

Originally posted by fordster
                  Mine seems to be going the same way! It's not packed in yet but sometime it refuses to play DVDs. It spins for a while and then stops. Other times it will play a disc but then if I pause or stop the film to do something else it won't resume when I come back, it just spins for a while and then stops. Sometimes it will play fine and then fail when trying to go back to the menu at the end of the film. Most of the time it works perferctly though and CDs are not a problem. It will be going back to my dealer for a repair at some point (they're closed whilst relocating at the moment).

I'm not sure what I'd buy as a new DVD player at the moment. I used to have a Denon 2800 MkII and that was very unreliable (and the service from Denon was cr*p, at least Rotel's service is very good). I'm starting to think I should just buy a cheap (Pioneer maybe?) DVD player in the future. The only problem is that as I'm tight for space I also use it for CD replay hence why I had the Denon and now the Rotel. Maybe a Benchmark DAC on a cheapo player is the answer?
                  Your problem is more drastic than mine, but what really surprises me is that Rotel serviced mine, exchanged the tray and the problem still persists. I find the noise unacceptable and distracting. I also went with Rotel DVD for the same reason, to play both CDs and DVDs at the same time. I was actually thinking of going with a Denon for the DVD player and adding a decent CD player. What was wrong with your Denon then?

Comment

• fordster
                    • Feb 2005

Very similar really in some ways but much more frequent. It was very noisy (much worse than my Rotel which I'd hardly call quiet) and would often (and I mean very often) just freeze whilst playing DVDs. In most cases the player had to be physically powered off to get it working again. Again, CDs were usually okay. It did this almost from the off but stupidly I put up with it until it got worse so couldn't get the dealer (internet arm of a large hifi chain in the south of England) to refund me. I sent it back for repair and it came back noisier and not long after started freezing again.

From looking on the internet and speaking to a few local dealers I found that this was quite common with Denon DVD players (although some lucky people never had any issues). I even rang Denon UK who denied all knowledge and blamed the fact it had been multiregioned (even though the MR firmware came from them!). That is why I would never buy Denon again as thier customer service stinks, they just deny all responsibility (I heard from other people that they got the same).

One day a disc got struck in the player and the eject just wouldn't work. I made the mistake of taking the lid off and trying to free it up myself rather than paying for a repair (I work in IT and being a bloke of course we are all handy with electronics!) and manged to get smoke to come out of it!! To make things worse I then realised I actually had 3 weeks left on the 2 year warranty, DOH!

Funnily enough througout all these problems with my Denon and Rotel my old Pioneer 535 has never let me down. I've also got a Pioneer DVD recorder and (so far, it's still only 8 months old) never had a problem with that.
                    Dave

Comment

• sirbogey
                      • Mar 2006

thanks for the info. Many people on this forum have a pioneer as well, I'll look into it in the future. but I think in general I'm done in overpaying on DVD players; they are out of date like every 2 years anyway. But I also think we just got little bit unlucky with our RDV-1060s...

Comment

• chinets
                        • Jun 2005

Sirbogey,
                        You are NOT unlucky with the Rotel 1060, because everyone I know that had one of these players have switched to other brands, because there 1060 went belly up and that is not chance or unlucky, just the simple fact that Rotel built a real LEMON for all of us!!! Stick to Rotel's Amps and Pre/Pros and forget there DVD players..THey just don't have the Know how on how to build a workable DVD player. That's life!!!
                        Sorry for the truth, but I got burnt too ,so I stick to Marantz now with NO Problems.
                        Good Luck and Cheers!!!

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"