X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rotel&energy
    • May 2004

Blown left channel (RB-1080)?

Hey guys,

This is my first post in a long time, and unfortunately I'm going to open up an old issue - blown left channels on RB-1080s. I've had my 1080 for over 2 years, using the 12 volt trigger, without any problems. Just the other night, I came into the family room and noticed I had no sound out of my front left channel. I went ahead and troubleshooted the following:

-swapped patch cords running to the amp: still no left channel
    -connected the speaker directly to the receiver and bypassed the amp: speaker working fine
    -changed one of the fuses on the left side of the amp within the 1080: initially, no left channel. Then it came on for a few seconds, I heard a "tic" and, it went out again.

Any ideas? I feel like I've ruled out the patch cord and the speaker having a problem. Everything else in the system is working great. Should I try and swap out a different fuse or just take the 1080 in for service?

Thanks.
    Christopher
  • miner
    • Mar 2005

Take it in for service, my opinion.

Comment

• shadow
      • Dec 2003

Try a fuse first. It may work and if so you are good to go. If not, you are looking at a few weeks downtime for service. :cry:

Comment

• cfrahme52
        • Aug 2005

Hi, Christopher.
        It might be worth your while to replace both fuses on the left channel.
        When I lost my left channel, one fuse obviously looked blown and the other looked OK. I changed both and got sound back.
        As far as I can tell (at least on my amp) this issue doesn't seem to be related to anything I do externally. I even had Rotel do the upgrade and still will pop fuses in the left channel-very seldom, however. I put up with it because it's a nice sounding amp for the money.
        Good luck,
        Charlie

Comment

• PewterTA
          • Nov 2004

If you don't use the 12v trigger, I've heard that's stopped the blown fuse problem... Just have to either manually turn it on or leave it on.
          Digital Audio makes me Happy.
          -Dan

Comment

• rotel&energy
            • May 2004

Thanks for the help. I've been using the 12 volt trigger for 2 years and didn't have a problem until recently. I'll try and swap out the 2nd fuse, but the first one that I pulled out looked good. Hmmm.
            Christopher

Comment

• rotel&energy
              • May 2004

Got the 1080 back!

Well, I dropped the amp off two weeks ago and got it back this weekend. The store shipped it off to Rotel, who didn't find anything wrong with the left channel!??? 8O So, Rotel "upgraded" the resistors, capacitors and fuses and sent it back. I scooped the 1080 up, brought it home and it is working fine now, so that's good. Is it normal for Rotel service to change out (upgrade?) components like that when you send it in for service?
              Christopher

Comment

• Kevin D
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Oct 2002

With the 1080 having issues, I think they do the upgrade to any units that haven't had it done regaurdless.

Kevin D.

Comment

• musman
                  • Jul 2006

Looks like they replaced problem parts. Nice to see a company take care of customers like that.

Comment

• benthx
                    • Nov 2004

Hey Guys

About six months ago the left channel on rb 1080 went. Its internal fuse blown. The other day when I switched it on both channels dead.

I see that this is acommon issue with this model and read about people havbe the ' upgrade' performed '. If it happens again I would like to know what this upgrade is. Could someone please post what the upgrade involves.

Ben

Comment

• Azeke
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Mar 2003

Hello Ben and Welcome to the Guide :welcome: ,

This is actually not a common problem, in that it is only experienced by a few Rotel owners (including myself). The readers digest version of the upgrade replaces, the capacitors, resistors, and fuses (8.5A), if memory serves me correctly.

That being said, you could also contact Rotel directly via telephone, (depending on your location) for specific information, and to see if your amp qualifies for the upgrade:

Here is the US information:

Rotel of America
                      54 Concord St.
                      North Reading, MA 01864-2699
                      Tel: 978 664 3820

Hope this helps.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"