X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DL86
    • Sep 2005

RB-1080 Left channel fuse blown

The left channel on my 1080 has blown and it seems the fuse has melted away on the channel. Is this an indication of something gone wrong with the amp from an over current? Still searching for a correct replacement fuse.
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

6.3a slow blow is the new spec. Won't do as much good if your 1080 hasn't been updated to help the blown fuse problem.

Kevin D.

Comment

• DL86
      • Sep 2005

The current fuse in there is an 8A 250V. Do you know if they are all slow blow? Would it matter if I use a ceramic type instead of a glass type? Having some difficulty sourcing an 8A slow blow glass type. I believe I do have the latest version of the rb-1080 as it has the fancy speaker binding posts on it. It was new purchased 3.5 years ago.

Comment

• Kevin D
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2002

Opps, 8a were the updated fuses. There were 6.3a in the first design. The 8a's were slow blow as well.

Kevin D.

Comment

• JDH
          • Sep 2004

The Rotel distributor in Australia started modifying the Caps/fuse/resistor size to try and fix the left channel failure. They started doing this for all units sold from June 2005. Best to give the Austalian distributor a call and quote your serial number and they should be able to confirm if the correct mods were done.

this being said I had the same problem with an earlier unit which they repaired 3 times, eventually they supplied me with a new modified unit but a year or so later after I'd upgraded to something better I got a call from the new owner saying the problem had occured again. Good luck with the repair.

JDH.

Originally posted by Kevin D
          Opps, 8a were the updated fuses. There were 6.3a in the first design. The 8a's were slow blow as well.

Kevin D.
          Bits of HT & 2ch Stuff: Rotel, Pro-ject, Oppo, Bel Canto, Elektra Audio, Benchmark, Panasonic, DSPeaker, Epson, Slim Devices, Belkin, Philips Pronto, Harmony, URC, Sennheisser, AKG, HTPC under development, KEF, Whatmough, Definitive Technology & Pardigm Signiture speakers

Comment

• DL86
            • Sep 2005

Following up, I have now had the three fuses for the left channel replaced by my self and have had no issues for over 2 months now and counting even under extreme listening conditions.

Comment

• hurin
              • Sep 2009

The left fuse in my 1080 just blew :M And it looks that I have an updated unit because the fuse is an 8a 250v. I am on my way now to buy new ones.

Can anyone confirm that if I disable the 12v trigger, this won't happen again?

Comment

• srb
                • Oct 2004

Originally posted by hurin
                Can anyone confirm that if I disable the 12v trigger, this won't happen again?
                I don't know that it can be 'confirmed', but from the many posts I have read in this and other forums, it did seem that more were using the 12V trigger than not, so I would guess you have a better than even chance.

On the other hand, I had an older model (with the newer clear binding posts, but not the more recent one with 2 pairs of posts per channel), used the 12V trigger exclusively, and never had a problem.

Good luck.

Steve

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"