X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tomasito
    • Dec 2009

RB-1080 no sound on left channel

Hello,
    I m new to the forum. But I had my RB-1080 for 3 years now. Last night, I notice that the left channel has no sound.
    I had this issue before earlier in the year. Rotel told me to check the fuse of the left channel. It was blown,and I replace the fuse. It fix the problem.

This time I checked the fuse, it was not blown. But I change it anyway. This time it did not fix the problem.

I did a minor trouble shooting pinpoint where the issue is. It is now my amp, it is not my speakers. I swap the left and right input coming from my amp. The results leads me to conclude that it is the RB-1080.

any idea, what might be the issue.
    Is there a way to reset the RB-1080?

Thanks and Happy new year to everybody
  • Glen B
    Super Senior Member
    • Jul 2004

Each channel of Rotel amplifiers usually has two fuses for the positive and negative power supply rails. Check both of them. Note that if you should replace a fuse and it blows a second time, don't do anything further until you contact Rotel. Repeatedly replacing fuses and powering up your amp could result in more extensive damage, as another member here found out recently. You reset the amp by pressing the front panel power switch. It does not sound like you have a protection circuit issue as both channels would be out.
    Last edited by Glen B; 27 December 2009, 23:46 Sunday. Reason: Corrected my typo

Comment

• tomasito
      • Dec 2009

That's good info, I thought that it is only 1 fuse. I will check.
      thank you

Comment

• tomasito
        • Dec 2009

You are absutely right there was a second fuse. It was blown!, I replace it and there is sound coming out.
        I'm so happy ...... Thank you very much for the tip

Comment

• tomasito
          • Dec 2009

Glen B,
          Happy New year to you and everybody on the forum

Comment

• Glen B
            Super Senior Member
            • Jul 2004

Great news. If you should blow rail fuses again in the near future, take a close look at the impedance of your speakers and how loud you're playing them. The rail fuses should only blow when the output transistors fail or are called upon to deliver too much current during normal operation. Happy New Year to you too.

Comment

• tomasito
              • Dec 2009

I am using Polk Audio LSi9, I can not remember the ohm of these speakers.

Comment

• srb
                • Oct 2004

The LSi9's are 4ohm 88dB speakers, which should not be too difficult for the RB-1080 to drive.

I don't know what you're using for speaker cable, but hopefully it's something along the lines of 12 - 16 gauge (with all strands intact) and not the Radio Shack 24 gauge speaker wire.

Steve

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"