X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kemp
    • Nov 2003

Rotel Problems

Hi,

I am looking to buy a Rotel RDV1060. I notice a lot of problems surfacing out of their products. Is it common for Rotel or is it just a few unlucky people. Being in South Africa we don't always get the same support from a company although I haven't dealt with Rotel before.

Thanks for any comments
    Marius
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

Kemp, as an outsider looking in, (I don't own Rotel) What I will add is, first you have to consider the number of Rotel customers. Look at Club Rotel, the size of it. Sure, there are going to be more problems than our Integra forum or BK forum for example. But look at the number of units those problems came from before casting judgement that they must have a lot of problems. It's a numbers thing. IF you sell more units, yes, there are going to be a few more problem units. But percentage wise, it could still be well less than lesser sold units from other manufacturers.

I really believe Rotel is kicking butt on the number of units sold now. So, that's a good part of what your seeing. It's not that there are more problems, it's that there are more total units out there.

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Kemp
      • Nov 2003

Lex,

Thanks for the reply. I understand percentage wise it is low and I am certainly not judging. I'm just trying to get a feel for this. All in all I am looking for some support for me to take the step. It is a big financial investment for me and I just don't want to regret it.

Marius
      Marius

Comment

• Jason Brown
        • Jan 2004

I think that with the internet, a lot more people spend more time and bandwidth discussing problems with their gear than they do praising what works correctly.

I think a good idea would be to become familiar with your dealer's return policy. This goes for any expensive item. In my case, I told my dealer that I would be returning anything that didn't work exactly as advertised. After 3 pieces of Rotel gear, the only thing that's going back is me...for more stuff.

Comment

• mpauline
          • Dec 2003

I would agree with Jason. Rotel equipment is first rate and you will be unlikely to have any problems with it. If you do then Rotel will certainly treat you well. That is my experience. I owned a RSP 976 pre/pro for a couple of months and was having some problems with it. Rotel sent me a brand new unit. They did not expect me to send mine in to spend weeks or months at the technicians.

Recently I was looking at an article written for AV retailers. In it Rotel was in the top 5 for customer satisfaction. Along with the likes of Lexicon. Interestingly enough some other high end companies were not even in the top ten.

Mark

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
            Super Senior Member
            • Oct 2003

Kemp,

One other thing to consider. Many other forums (and some dealers) send current or potential Rotel owners with Club Rotel for advise. So we get many users seeking advice on what to do, or how to fix etc.

Often we can help - but it does give us a focus on problems and could understandably lead to a misperception by a casual browser.

Besides - all those posts about "isn't it wonderful" and "I really love my...." don't make for that interesting a forum - so we're happy to help

Geoff

Comment

• Kemp
              • Nov 2003

Thanks for the replies. I am going to wait till the RDV1050 arrives and go and have a look before I buy the RDV1060

Marius
              Marius

Comment

• ROb Aspeling
                • Mar 2003

Marius,

I'm from South Africa and had a few issues with a 1080 amp. I got great service from the local Rotel guys (M.A.D.) and they even swapped out units, something rare over here. I also have the RDV1060, no problems. I don't think you will go wrong if you purchase Rotel.

Comment

• Kemp
                  • Nov 2003

Rob, thanks for you comments. It gives me confidence to go with Rotel.

Marius
                  Marius

Comment

• padillon
                    • Feb 2004

I have had my RDV-1060 for about a month now and have found the music and video capabilities to be outstanding. I purchased it with an RSX-1067 and have connected them with both digital and analog Cobalt cables. I have 5 NHT VS-2a speakers for front, center and side surrounds and NHT Super One in walls for the rear right/left for full 7.1. I did the upgrade to the RSX-1067 this weekend and am really enjoying the Dolby ProLogic IIx for my 2 ch CD's, but I haven't yet checked out the Cinema mode yet. The DVD audio has been spectacular and has operated flawlessly.

I have only one complaint about the RDV-1060. It seems to have a very low tolerance for dirty DVD disks. It does skip if the disk has fingerprints or smudges on it. I have not, however, had any problems after cleaning the disks.

I would not hesitate to recommend the RDV-1060.

Comment

• triDave
                      • Dec 2003

That's soo weird! My RDV-1060, have only have time to play cd's on it... But I think it plays well on even the scrapest cd's. Feels like you can have bbq on your cd's and then play them with sauce still on

My concern regarding the RDV-1060, the drive is too load. I hate when I hear the player spinning when listning to calm parts in the music. I might add that it's loud even with clean discs

My two cents...

Dave

Comment

• padillon
                        • Feb 2004

Hi Dave,

It doesn't surprise me that your dirty CD's play just fine. The data on DVD is considerably more dense and therefore more susceptible to interference from dirt or smudges. Do you play any DVD-A disks on you 1060. I haven't had a problem with them skipping at all.

Patrick

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"