X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wrceker
    • May 2010

Problems with Rotel & receiver

I own an RSX1065, that I am experiencing problems with. The sound is awful, there is no definition or stereo sound to it, as well there is a constant hiss. So, prior to the warranty expiring, I had taken it in to be serviced. The unit was "repaired" & returned to me, whereupon it promptly began to have the same issues; the fix didn't last much more than a few hours. So I took it back in again (it has now passed the end of warranty) with the same issues, and again the unit was "repaired" and returned to me. It was still covered because the original problem(s) hadn't been resolved. Same exact thing happened again. Within a few hours, the problems returned. So I took it back in for a third time (still covered). Same results. The problems came back within AN HOUR. This time, I was told I'm out of luck. Rotel says that the unit is now off of warranty, and that they don't consider that there is anything more than can do for me. Doesn't this seem a tad strange? They tried unsuccesfully 3 times to repair the unit, and yes I realize it is now off warranty, but the unit was origianlly serviced while still under warranty. Any suggestions on how I can get them to help me. I'm not asking for a brand new one or anything outrageous, even though I realize mine is now quite dated. I just want the good sound nack that I paid big bucks for.
  • htsteve
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

First of all, welcome to the forum. Sorry your first post isn't a better topic.

Are you dealing with the dealer or with Rotel directly? If it was Rotel, I will be a bit surprised. I've had good dealings with them. If it's the dealer, I would contact Rotel directly and hopefully get some resolution.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• Wrceker
      • May 2010

Thank you, I'm glad to see there is a community on the web.
      I had emailed Rotel first & was rebuffed. I have since been going through my dealer, but after a number of months I feel as though I'm being stringed along.

Comment

• macwrede
        • Apr 2009

Not sure if this will help with your situation, but I had a recurring problem with the DSP board on a RSP-1068, in that it went out 4 times in 4 years. The 5th time was 2 months prior to my warranty expiration. The dealer I purchased it from was no longer in business and the new owner didn't seem interested in helping me at all. I contacted Rotel service by email, outlining the recurring nature of the problem, and was instructed to send in the unit for evaluation. They determined that based on the repair history of my unit, there was something inherently bad about my particular unit and replaced it free of charge with an upgrade to a 1069. Needless to say, I was very impressed with Rotel service.

Granted, mine was not out of warranty. But I had been told by my original dealer that as long as the repair was for something that had already been serviced while under warranty, Rotel would continue to fix the same problem after expiration of the warranty. (I don't know if that is actually true or not however.)

That being said, was your service performed by Rotel or your dealer? Like one of the previous posters, your experience doesn't sound at all like the level of service that I received from working with Rotel directly.

Regardless, your situation is unfortunate. Best of luck in getting it resolved.

Comment

• Glen B
          Super Senior Member
          • Jul 2004

Three repair attempts and your receiver is still not working properly ? Warranty or not, IMO it is a lemon and should have been replaced. I would try e-mailing Rotel again, explaining the situation, and asking them "nicely" if the reputation as a manufacturer that leaves it customers holding the bag with defective equipment is what they want to develop.

One other thing, judging by posts here, it seems like there are a lot of problems with Rotel amps and receivers. I'm not sure whether this is indicative of quality control or design issues, or just a fair percentage based on the brand's popularity.

Comment

• Wrceker
            • May 2010

The first 2 services were done by the local authorized service center. The third attempt the service center sent it back to Rotel. I should have been more aggresive with Rotel from the start, however my dealer assured me that they could do something for me....

Comment

• Kevin D
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Oct 2002

Do you have any tracking of what was wrong and what was replaced?

What country are you in?

Kevin D.

Comment

• Wrceker
                • May 2010

I have all the paperwork, not in front of me right now.....Canada

Comment

• Opus007
                  • Nov 2007

I would not wait .I would contact Rotel now.I have had nothing but outstanding support from Rotel.

When I got my first 1069 it was a lemon and I had it for over a year before contacting Rotel.Yes it was still under waranty but the 1069 was discontinued at the time of my purcase.Rotel sent me a new one,no qustions asked and payed to have the defective unit sent back to them.

I can not believe Rotel will not work with you.Let them know that it is a lemon.I feel this will all work out for you.

Comment

• Ken49r
                    • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Kevin D

What country are you in?

Kevin D.
                    Doesn't sound like Rotel USA. These guys bend over backwards to give customer satisfaction in my experience with them.

Comment

• Wrceker
                      • May 2010

Originally posted by Kevin D

What country are you in?

Kevin D.
                      1st time: Replaced faulty tuner section PTEL
                      2nd time: Replaced erratic vol pot, replaced digital PTEL AL 1 & 2 boards
                      3rd time: Removed glue from PC boards & replaced parts as a precaution, modified front display, refresh switch circiut, upgraded software (had HD software but is non-HD unit), reset microprocessor, etc.

Comment

• Wrceker
                        • May 2010

Originally posted by Opus007
                        I would not wait .I would contact Rotel now.I have had nothing but outstanding support from Rotel.

When I got my first 1069 it was a lemon and I had it for over a year before contacting Rotel.Yes it was still under waranty but the 1069 was discontinued at the time of my purcase.Rotel sent me a new one,no qustions asked and payed to have the defective unit sent back to them.

I can not believe Rotel will not work with you.Let them know that it is a lemon.I feel this will all work out for you.

Rotels response, after the 2nd fix,

"We will do what we can as a one-time warranty repair, given that the unit was origianlly brought in before warranty expired."

Comment

• Opus007
                          • Nov 2007

Call Rotel 978 664 3820.If you get the voice mail leave your number and let them know that the unit was under waranty when first serviced for the problem.

Continue to call until someone calls you back or until you speak to someone which will probably be Mike.I am sure once you are able to talk to Mike he will help resolve your issues.

Also when calling if you are sent to voice mail call back and when answerd by the prompts hit 0 (zero) which will send you to the receptionist.Tell Her you need someone to call you as your problem has not been resolved.Hope this helps.

Comment

• Wrceker
                            • May 2010

Update...rotel has left me with nothing but a big old paper weight.
                            Not impressed with rotel!
                            Last edited by Wrceker; 10 August 2010, 18:30 Tuesday.

Comment

• dan87951
                              • Nov 2005

Not the first time I heard this is how they deal with warranty service. Another guy on this forum had a similar issue with his receiver. After hearing about that I have never bought another rotel piece. Seems there equipment doesn't last the long haul!! Sorry for your troubles I would look at Emotiva, parasound, marantz all good companies that make quality pieces.
                              dan87951
                              audio guru

Comment

• madmac
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Aug 2010

Interesting Story but strange that you did not get service??. Sounds like you didn't scream loud enough to both the dealer and to Rotel. Mine got repaired once and like you, the unit crapped out on me the first day I got it back!. The next day, I wrote an email to Rotel and brought the unit back to the dealer and screamed. I told them that they also have to call Rotel and tell them to give me a replacement unit because I did not want to wait another month without sound in my home. Dealers carry a lot of weight with suppliers because they make them lots of money. 4 days later, a refurbished upgraded unit was ready for me. It has worked flawlessly since.

despite the fact that your original warranty was expired, the Warranty on the repair was still good (90 days I believe?). Something went wrong dude !!
                                Dan Madden :T

Comment

• dan87951
                                  • Nov 2005

Originally posted by madmac
                                  Interesting Story but strange that you did not get service??. Sounds like you didn't scream loud enough to both the dealer and to Rotel. Mine got repaired once and like you, the unit crapped out on me the first day I got it back!. The next day, I wrote an email to Rotel and brought the unit back to the dealer and screamed. I told them that they also have to call Rotel and tell them to give me a replacement unit because I did not want to wait another month without sound in my home. Dealers carry a lot of weight with suppliers because they make them lots of money. 4 days later, a refurbished upgraded unit was ready for me. It has worked flawlessly since.

despite the fact that your original warranty was expired, the Warranty on the repair was still good (90 days I believe?). Something went wrong dude !!
                                  That's the point he shouldn't have to scream in order to get his receiver fixed.
                                  dan87951
                                  audio guru

Comment

• madmac
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Aug 2010

Well......I don't mean literally scream. I was more like "Hey dude....I paid a lot of money for this thing and it should not crap out on me in 4 years!!!". "I need you to stand behind me on this thing and recommend to Rotel on the behalf of your customer (ME!!) That he gets another unit". "Otherwise.....people may stop buying Rotel products from us and therefore, we might stop distributing them for you!!'. That's exactly what they did for me and it worked. I was simply firm and adamant with them is all. Rotel is one of the only Mfr's that guarantees their units for 5 years. Obviously, they believe in the reliability of their products no?. You have to rub their noses in that belief when their units fail prematurely!.
                                    Dan Madden :T

Comment

• James63
                                      • Dec 2006

Be polite on the phone but demand a replacement, after all it is in your right and contract under warranty.

Comment

• GWNG8
                                        • Oct 2011

Yeah, I've had nothing but problems with Rotel products and service in the past. Never again will I own any rotel, bowers & wilkens or classe products. I too got screwed around on warranty. I bought an Anthem amp this time around, and have nothing but good things to say about the product or service. The Anthem was less money than the rotel, and blows that made in china rotel crap out of the water, in every way!

Comment

Working...
                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                        Search Result for "|||"