A/V signal configuation

My current system:

RDV-1060
    RSP-1066
    RT-1080
    RMB-1075
    NEC-HT1000 projector
    DGTEC SD set top box

I have decided to upgrade the NEC front projector to the latest 50" HD Panasonic plasma. By doing so, I want to take advantage of HDMI and achieve the next level of video quality. This requires I update the 1060 to an HDMI equipped DVD player, upgrade my satellite set top box to one with HDMI, and invest in a video scaler of sort - maybe the new 1070.

My question is, how do I configure the new set up? If HDMI carries both A/V signals, then do all sources go via the scaler and then into the 1066 for audio output? This would be via a coaxial connection yes? I'm guessing that I'd only need the one HDMI connection to the plasma then. However how do I switch between sources, via the scaler or the processor?

Apologies if I'm confusing.
    SOURCE: Rotel RDV-1060, DGTEC 2000A
    POWER: Rotel RMB-1075 (5 x 120w)
    PREAMP: Rotel RSP-1066
    SPEAKERS: B&W CDM9NT (x4), CDM CNT, CDM ASW
    CABLES: Neotech
    DISPLAY: NEC-HT1000, 84" Screen Technics
  • Clepto
    • Feb 2006

As far as I know, Rotel's video scaler, is that, a VIDEO scaler. It does NOT handle HDMI audio. DVDO, Lumagen, etc. offer scalers that handle HDMI audio and video, and might be a better solution...

HDMI is a little finicky, and imo is not quite ready for prime time. Depending on the implementation, there may be issues in using an HDMI chain as well.

For example, in some cases, a DVD w/ HDMI, going directly to the display, will make it such that the HDMI audio is only going to the display, and not the processor. So you might have to go:
    DVD -> Processor (or scaler -> processor) -> Display

This of course requires that the HDMI chain works successfully, and that the DVD player recognizes the Processor/scaler/receiver's HDMI handshake.

My recommendation, make sure you have a good return policy, and make sure your dealer is aware of what you're trying to accomplish.

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"