X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • marantzsr8500
    • Apr 2005

Marantz DV9500 HDMI issues

Hi,

Well, I decided to go with the Marantz DV 9500. Problem is, that it only has HDMI connection and the Marantz SR 8500 receiver does not have HDMI, but has DVI. I found an adaptor that converts HDMI Male to DVI Female.

(http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...t=1#largeimage)
    BTW: I know this is a cheap price for an adaptor, will that affect the signal, would there be loss? The DVI cable I am going to attach into this is very high end, so would this adapter cause me to lose some signal?

What I am concerned about is that after I attach this adapter to the DVD player, and attach my DVI cable, since HDMI is both digital video + digital audio, whereas DVI is only digital video, if I attach this adapter, will my DVD player send all the audio to the HDMI connection port? Because if that happens, with the HDMI Male to DVI Female adapter, I will lose the audio signal. So, if I attach this adapter to my DV9500, can I set up my DVD player so that it knows to only send video through the HDMI port, and sound through my fiber optic?
  • NMyTree
    • May 2004

Sorry, I can't help you with your question.

But I would like to hear your opinion and experiences with the audio quality on Redbook CD, DVD-Audio, SACD.......with the Marantz DV9500.

Would you mind sharing that with me?
    Tony

Comment

• DrJRapp
      Super Senior Member
      • Apr 2003

Originally posted by marantzsr8500

What I am concerned about is that after I attach this adapter to the DVD player, and attach my DVI cable, since HDMI is both digital video + digital audio, whereas DVI is only digital video, if I attach this adapter, will my DVD player send all the audio to the HDMI connection port?
      I got to test an early DV9500 and at that point the audio portion of the HDMI connection had not yet been enabled by Marantz. Perhaps it has been since.
      Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

Marantz- Yes, you can buy a DVI/HDMI adapter with no problem. I bought mine from Gefen, and they work fine with no noticed signal loss. I can't vouch for other adapters, but for the most part they should also be fine.

Since DVI is video only, once you attach an HDMI/DVI adapter, you lose the capability of an HDMI cable to pass audio. HDMI audio is still a new thing, so check to see if your HDMI components even pass audio.

Most likely your DVD player, when you select HDMI for video (or if you even have to select it, it may be on already) will still automatically pass audio on the other components as well, at least the digital optical, and maybe the analog RCA's as well.
        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
        - Pleasantville

Comment

• martino
          • Aug 2004

I just bought the DV9500 last week

Tony; my one week thoughts on the DV9500 are..its AWSOME!...CD, SACD, DVDA all sound rock solid and quite musical with wonderful warmth may previous disc player (Rotel 1060) could not match..(although good).

The unit itself is built like a tank. Looks so beautiful in my rack!

I recommend it highly!!!!

My Kit...

Rotel 1095
          Rotel 1098
          Marantz DV9500
          B & W 704's (soon to be 803's)
          HTM2 (soon to be the new HTM3)
          B & W 602's in the rear

Cheers
          Martin

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"