For HD-DD and HD-DTS formats will one need a NEW processor ??

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chinets
    • Jun 2005

For HD-DD and HD-DTS formats will one need a NEW processor ??

Hi all,
    If your processor does not have HD-DD or HD-DTS formats could one actually listen to those formats if you have a HD-DVD player or Blue Ray player and have your player send that format signal to your Amp and speakers or MUST your processor also have to have these formats ??? Could you connect it through coaxial or optical instead of HDMI if your processor does not have HDMI to get these formats??
    Quite confused here ! Does anyone have any input here??
    Thanks In advance.
  • AndrewM
    • Oct 2000

All of the players out right now will 'downmix' the soundtrack to DD/DTS when it's pushed over the coax/optical out on the player, so from that aspect you're covered. But you won't be getting the full benefits of the better audio.

Some of the players have analog outputs and will decode the sound formats that way, so just plug it into your 7.1 inputs on your processor and you'd be good to go.

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

Exactly.
      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
      - Pleasantville

Comment

• chinets
        • Jun 2005

Thanks Guys and God Bless !!! ;x(
        Cheers

Comment

• DL86
          • Sep 2005

dont forget, if you use DTS with the hd formats via coax or optical you will get the full bitrate dts of 1.5mbs instead of the regular 768kbs.

Comment

• Chris D
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Dec 2000

Originally posted by DL86
            dont forget, if you use DTS with the hd formats via coax or optical you will get the full bitrate dts of 1.5mbs instead of the regular 768kbs.
            This is NOT inconsequential--a very real issue for those who are unfamiliar. Basically, movie studios stopped using full bitrate DTS a long, long time ago, which lowered the capability DVD's had for sound resolution via DTS.

As a real-life example of what we're seeing now, my all-time favorite DVD is U2: Rattle and Hum. Sounds good via Dolby Digital on standard DVD. It was the first Blu-Ray disc I bought, just because I enjoy it so much, and it includes DTS-HD. Output from my Playstation 3 via optical, I get full bitrate DTS (not DTS-HD) and the sound is night-and-day different from the standard DVD. It's awesome, and so much more detailed.
            CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Brandon B
              Super Senior Member
              • Jun 2001

Originally posted by DL86
              So are you saying you would not get full bit rate with HDMI, but do with S/PDIF? Or just contrasting to analog connections?

BB

Comment

• Chris D
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Dec 2000

I think the point there is that if you use the NEW HD audio formats over HDMI, you'll get the full uncompressed audio stream. If you use legacy coax or optical, it will be "downrezzed" to DTS or DD, but will use the full bitrate.
                CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"