This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kyle
    • Jan 2005

BTW, this is all conjecture. When you say you "I run the DVD player through the RVE1070", does that mean you actually are using one now? Or are you hypothesizing like the rest of us?
    My gear

Comment

• Kevin D
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Oct 2002

With out getting into it, while the RVE-1070 is not released yet, Andrew should have one all ready.

Kevin D.

Comment

• pciav
        • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Andrew M Ward
        I'm confused?
        Are we concerned about "picture looking better" or "picture processed twice"?

I have a Sharp Display that is 768... When I plug my DVD player right into it ~ it looks fine... When I run the DVD player through the RVE1070 it looks even better.... even though some tasks are being done twice... the picture drastically improves.

Seems simple to me...

I suppose we can postulate and yammer about things being processed twice, but ultimately it's a convenient device to plug everything into and then run one HDMI to the display device, and Oh by the way, everything looks much better as well...

Rotel will sell thousands of this device (Thousands!)
        Andrew,

For me, I am concerned about the ability to feed my display its native rate anything else is unacceptable and inferior. Currently, for my NEC 61" Plasma, that is 1365 x 768 which the RVE1070 is not programmed to do; therefore, I have no interest in the product at all. Note, I said not programmed instead of not able since Rotel is choosing not to offer custom output resolutions. I still contend this is a serious mistake on Rotel’s part that will cost sales. On the other hand, I can also see that Rotel may not have the ability to provide the technical support needed to offer this.

The same holds true for any display I purchase. If the display is not able to accept its Native Rate digitally, I will not consider it for purchase. I will not be upgrading to a 1080p display until a suitable display that accepts 1080p via HDMI is available.

Your Sharp may very well look better using an RVE1070. This does not surprise me at all since the internal processing of the Sharp is not very good to begin with and is no secret. Have you compared the RVE1070 to a VP that allows custom resolutions and fed your Sharp its NR of 1366 x 768? I would be interested in hearing your findings after doing this. I respect your position and the stance you have to take because of it; therefore, I realize you cannot answer it without being biased. After all it is the consumer's responsibility to be educated.

The specs for the Nation Semi Conductor AVC2510 Chipset used in the RVE1070 look impressive and based upon how the mfg. implements it should provide some further competition in the coming market. Your right, the RVE1070 will be a solution of convenience for many and a lower cost alternative to the more expensive VP’s based upon chipsets being released by Realta (HQV) and Gennum (VXP), but buyer's should beware. You get what you pay for.

I wish Rotel luck and hope to see a firmware update that will allow the use of custom resolutions at some point in the future.

Phil C.

Comment

• Andrew M Ward
          • Apr 2005

No worries gentlemen
          I'm not feeling at all defensive but I appreciate your concern for my "perspective"

However, a note:

The National Semi guys are awesome to work with; in fact the key development guys quit faroudja and came over to National to build this product... So they have a pretty good idea how good the faroudja stuff is, they designed it.

The AVC Chipset has tons of potential and will probably grow (in a software sense) to become a more customizable piece. Today, for Rotel, it's not a concern. I think everybody understands the issues, but your average guy with a DVD player a PVR a set-top-box and maybe a Laser disc collection will buy the RVE in a heartbeat. It solves problems and improves picture quality its RS232 controllable (Crestron) and will be easy for consumers to understand and use.

Beyond that all the arguments are valid.

But keep in mind I heard sales guys and end users tell me that the Rotel Class D amplifiers would never sell, and they had a list of valid reasons why they would never sell, but when it all came down to it in the end, the amplifiers sounded good, drove speakers like crazy took up less space and ran cool, so they sell (and sell and sell) for all the wrong reasons (I guess)

Consumers are just looking for a solution that works...the RVE will provide (in a big way) what consumers have been asking for.

Just more 2 cents

Comment

• pciav
            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Andrew M Ward
            ...But keep in mind I heard sales guys and end users tell me that the Rotel Class D amplifiers would never sell, and they had a list of valid reasons why they would never sell, but when it all came down to it in the end, the amplifiers sounded good, drove speakers like crazy took up less space and ran cool, so they sell (and sell and sell) for all the wrong reasons (I guess)

Consumers are just looking for a solution that works...the RVE will provide (in a big way) what consumers have been asking for.

Just more 2 cents
            Damn those sales guys! :lol: I love my RMB-1077...and my RSP-1098.

If I could throw in another cents worth of info out there, between us we'll have a nickel...

I'm glad Rotel has stayed with the total separate's philosophy. I do not know what the future holds, but I would like to see the RVE-1070 evolve and not get sucked inside a future SSP ala what Anthem is doing. It is nice to have the option to upgrade only what needs to or what you want to instead of having to do everything at once. One area of concern I have is the price point for an all Rotel separates setup is now approaching what the competition (read Anthem) is offering in their single upgradeable package which also contains more features (read custom resolution support via the Gennum VXP Chipset). Certainly of tough market to keep happy.

Over at the AVS Forum Video Processor Section, there has been some talk about National Semi, the Faroudja connection and a lot of people are waiting to see what the AVC2510 can do. The features and the horsepower of the chipset plus the price point make for an interesting solution. Thanks for all the info Andrew.

Phil C.

Comment

• Kyle
              • Jan 2005

I too am glad to see it go the separates route. I just wish I could exert the same amount of control over it I can with the rest of my Rotel gear..

I'm no expert, but it seems as though if my display is the 'weak' point only being 768p, that I could get more bang for my buck out of not doing the "extra" work by going from 480i (or whatever) to 1080p, then back to 768p, even if it "looks better" than it would if I went 480i into my TV and let its scaler convert to 768p.

Only time will tell I guess. If I can convince my local Rotel dealer to let me do a demo, maybe I can see with my own eyes what it can do.

The hardest part aside from getting my CC bill is finding room on the rack.. (for an RLC-1080 too!).
              My gear

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"