X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CabinetGuy
    • Sep 2005

Dual use of HDMI outputs on Oppo 95 to SSP 800

I just purchased the Oppo 95 AND upgraded from the SSP 600 to the 800. I am in the process of setting them up. I am having difficulty understanding the best approach of what I think are two options to connect them for the BEST HDMI audio/video delivery and thus I am having trouble getting the sound/picture to work.

Here is what I believe.

Option 1

1. I can simply connect HDMI 1 out from Oppo to the 800 for sound and audio. I had obtained video and audio in this setup.

Option 2

1. I can connect for video delivery from the Oppo HDMI 1 output into an HDMI 1 input on the 800. The Oppo uses the best video processors on HDMI 1 out. I believe this disengages the audio from this HDMI out and sends video only??

2. I am thinking I can then use the second HDMI 2 out on the Oppo into an HDMI 2 on the 800 for purely the audio source??

3. I then have an HDMI OUT from the 800 to my TV.

This option 2 is currently how I have it connected believing this would be the BEST connections for a pure video / pure audio delivery each through its own HDMI. ??

I have a great picture but no sound right now.

Here is what I can evaluate to help understand further.

1. I have set up the Oppo to use HDMI 1 as a dedicated video out source.
    2. When playing with the 800 settings the settings screen says video source is from HDMI 1 and on the DVD INPUT audio connector I have it set to HDMI AUDIO.
    3. On the Oppo I can never get BOTH HDMI 1 and 2 to show simultaneous outputs of information. Its shows either the HDMI 1 OR HDMI 2 as the output to the 800.

NO SOUND!!!

Any helpful insight would be appreciated.
  • Srrndhound
    • Sep 2008

Both HDMI outputs carry video all the time. Stick with Option1. It does not get any better.

Comment

• CabinetGuy
      • Sep 2005

Thank-you!

Got it and it is working. Sound and pic.
      Now I cant get the 800 to process the signal in the best sound format.

It is so new to me and I am unsure what I should see in the window in regards to processing.

I am playing a Blu Ray in DTS HDMA and I can only get STEREO in the 800 window for processing.

I have played in the settings back and forth without success.

When I check the status it tells me - PCM MLT CH SR: 48K

So I know I have a digital signal.

What am I missing?

Comment

• Srrndhound
        • Sep 2008

^^ In the configuration menu, which one did you define for your speakers? 1?

What is the speaker setup you defined? At least 5.1?

Did you define the source input to call that Configuration?

Comment

• CabinetGuy
          • Sep 2005

I got it dialed in. Needed to set it at discrete input then it fired up the digital signal in all its glory. Thank you for your input.

Comment

• aarsoe
            • May 2004

Remember that HDMI 1 & 2 have different video processing on the OPPO 95. Best picture would be obtained from HDMI 1 if you are using lower res sources (DVD) - not sure if there is much difference on Blueray as there is not much processing ongoing.
            I would recommend using the two outputs on the SSP-800 so you have one for your TV and another to a Projector (if required). That would give you everything..

Comment

• Srrndhound
              • Sep 2008

^^ All the video options are available from Oppo HDMI output 1.

Comment

• scanido
                • Apr 2006

Try HDMI 1 for video and the 7.1 analog preouts to the SSP800.

The Oppo should have better DACs than the SSP800 so give that a try.

Comment

• bigburner
                  Super Senior Member
                  • May 2005

Originally posted by scanido
                  The Oppo should have better DACs than the SSP800 so give that a try.
                  That's an interesting claim scanido, and I'm an Oppo 95 owner. What makes you think that the Oppo's DACs are better?

Nigel.

Comment

• aarsoe
                    • May 2004

The OPPO's DAC's are newer and does have better specs. However you will have to judge for yourself. I think the OPPO is better so I use the balanced out for music only. However do remember that if you don't use the balanced out in "analogue bypass mode" then you are re-digitizing the signal and will not hear what the OPPO have to offer. That is a very important point that I think people to often forget..

Comment

• baniels
                      • Nov 2006

Not to mention, if you have the 95 and are NOT using the analog outs, you are wasting $500. The 93 is half the price of the 95 and the only difference between the two is with the analogs outs.
                      L&R Build
                      Sub Build

Comment

• aarsoe
                        • May 2004

I have both the SSP-800 and the Oppo BDP-95 and I am using the balanced out for two channel stereo - but for multi-channel I prefer the simplicity of the single HDMI connection. So I guess you can be using it both ways in everyday usage

Comment

• Marco Lisi
                          • May 2008

I think there is more to it than just the DAC's on themselves, bearing the specs in mind. If you take the whole 'environment' of the player / processor in mind, in my opinion there is a big difference in overall performance.

I've had the opportunity to test both the Oppo 93 and 95 ... and then a MSB Technology UMT came along, witch was a better 'performance match' with the Classé.

I used HDMI 1 for a direct feed of my Panasonic plasma / JVC beamer, HDMI 2 to feed the Classé. I have to admit that I only watch HD content, so I don't need to upscale any DVD's :P
                          Diamond Room
                          Acoustical treated room with reference 7.3 av system

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"