• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Aussie Geoff
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2003

Suggested New RSP-1098 Wish List Items

Hi,

I have five new suggestions for the next version of the RSP-1098 wish list that I am seeking comment on prior to inclusion in the next version. Are these worthwhile, what priority would people give them etc.

Summarised briefly these are:

Video – Turn off Up-conversion by source
    This feature would allow the user to request by source that they didn’t want the video up conversion to component. The native signal would then pass through the video, with the component signal turned off. Many Projectors / TVs will do their own conversion and some people prefer this to that in the RSP-1098.

Video – Up-conversion to S-Video
    This feature would allow the user to request for a source that the up conversion be to S-Video rather than component and stop the output of the composite signal. This would be for people with older projectors / TVs that don’t have component.

Analog out for Digital Source
    This feature would allow an input with only a digital connection to be converted to analogue for the analogue outputs such as tape. It would be a selectable option for each input that would allow analogue processing without such complex input cabling (right now we have to dual wire with analogue and digital just for those rare cases when we may want analogue (e.g. dubbing to tape)).

Table showing value sound modes by input type
    This is an update to the manual to include a table showing all the valid sound modes for each input type. Most other receivers and processors have this to help users understand the options.

Progressive Video Conversion
    This feature would give the option of having the component signal converted to progressive video through delinterlacing etc. It may well require a hardware change. However it would mean that all video sources could then be shown in progressive mode.

Geoff Costello
  • apotts
    • Jan 2004

Geoff,

I have to say that your efforts are admirable to say the least! Personally I wouldn't benefit from any of the above though...

All I would like is:
    PLIIx
    Volume display that's readable (black background maybe?)
    Notch filter for subwoofer.

Keep up the good work though!

Andrew

Comment

• Kevin D
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Oct 2002

#1 I don't see the point of turning off up-conversion. If you turn it off, the person has to switch to a different (non-component) input on their TV. If they have to switch to a different input anyway, why do we need to turn component off? They're not watching it. I don't think taking the signal and sending it out the component in addition to composite is going to degrade the signal any.

#2 would be nice. Non-component tv's would only need a s-video cable even with that old VHS that only has composite out..

#3 Sure would have saved me on some cables. I use analog record out to my VCR and analog zone 2 out to the rest of the house. If I could somehow get the signal out with only running digital cables in that would be nice.

#4 Sure, nice addition.

#5 Don't think it would be worth it. A bad deinterlacer is worse to no interlacer. So unless you wanted a $500+ component video board, I don't think it's reasonable. Future models 2-3 years down the road when good deinterlacers are resonably priced sure..

I have a #6 to add that really needs to happen (and would be easy). It might be in the wish list all ready, but I would love see the extended RS232 codes that are in the 1068/1056/1067 added to the 1098. Discrete volume commands, seperate zone/rec commands (no more zone+source, rec+source), plus a few other nice additions... Check the new RS232 command sheet on Rotel's website and look at the differences between the 1068 and 1098..

Thanks,

Kevin D.

Comment

• Azeke
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2003

Geoff,

I also don't utilize most of these options, however I concur with Andrew's previous post, I would definitely want the upgrade to ProLoIIx, besides some of the other suggestions you have provided in your earlier versions of your document.

Great job and thanks,

Azeke

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"