X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thyname
    • Jan 2005

Can anybody help?

I tried to connect a Sony SACD/DVD player to my Rotel RC-1070 preamp with analog audio interconnects and to my Samsung DLP HDTV with components/s-audio and simple video cable. I hear a very annoying noise coming out of my Axiom speakers while playing a DVD!! Tried switching all cables with no luck. Meanwhile, no noise when I play my Rotel RCD-1072 cdp as I always do, it is only when tv is on and dvd player playing. When I disconnect video cable, I notice no noise. SACD plays fine as well. It drives me crazy!! Am I doing something wrong here??
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

If you disconnect the video cables going to the TV, does the noise stop? Try leaving the video cables connected and disconnect CABLE from the TV. You might be getting a ground loop into the 1070 through the TV. If you can describe the noise better, it might be easier to diagnose.

Kevin D.

Comment

• thyname
      • Jan 2005

Yes Kevin, exactely, once I disconnect video cables from the TV (I tried all three types of video cables mentioned on my first post) the noise stops. Now, I tried your suggestion and unhooked all cables going from my cable box (Cox HD DVR) to the TV, and yes, no noise. You were so right! Now, the question is: how do I fix this, or am I stuck with unplugging and plugging cable anytime I like to watch a movie? Thank you Kevin!

Comment

• Kevin D
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2002

It's most likely just the service feed coming into your cable box that's causing the problem. You can call the cable company and tell them your cable is not properly grounded or you can pick up a cable line isolator from Partexpress:

Kevin D.

Comment

• Race Car Driver
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2005

Ahhh, I like partsexpress, ordered from them many years ago.
          They have just about everything!
          B&W

Comment

• gd
            • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Race Car Driver
            Ahhh, I like partsexpress... They have just about everything!
            Including very informed and helpful people on the phone!

Extremely rare to find that anywhere anymore.
            greg (gd to you)
            Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
            production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

• thyname
              • Jan 2005

I called cable company, and they gave me two options: go to their retail center and swap the box for another one, or have somebody coming over to see it for $41. I am very skeptical that any of these would work. They basically said that they can't do anything about it. I had no such problems when I had Dish Network satellite. I checked my cable connections: they had a splitter that divides the signal from a white box that cable guy installed, to my internet modem (I use Cox for Internet and digital telophone as well) and HDTV DVR receiver. I wonder where that video isolation transformer from PartExpress would go. It seem that the hum is transmitted to my RC-1070 and speakers through the TV set.

Comment

• Kevin D
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Oct 2002

The isolator will screw right into the cable box and the cable will screw into it.

If there isn't a ground wire going from the splitter to the power company ground, that's probably your problem. I'm pretty sure by law they have to ground the cable system and they whould have to do it for no charge. In the long run it will most likely be easier to get the isolator.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Mitchell
                  • Sep 2004

When I originally tried connecting my Time Warner Cable Box into my 1070 I got a terrific hum.
                  I then ran the cable interconnect into my Monster Power Unit and then from there into my 1070 and it stopped completely.
                  My dealer told me that cable boxes are notorious for ground loop hums and this happens all the time. He suggested running it throught the Monster and it usually solves it. He was right. I assume any basic power conditioner would work.
                  I hope this is helpful.
                  Mitchell

Comment

• thyname
                    • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Mitchell
                    When I originally tried connecting my Time Warner Cable Box into my 1070 I got a terrific hum.
                    I then ran the cable interconnect into my Monster Power Unit and then from there into my 1070 and it stopped completely.
                    My dealer told me that cable boxes are notorious for ground loop hums and this happens all the time. He suggested running it throught the Monster and it usually solves it. He was right. I assume any basic power conditioner would work.
                    I hope this is helpful.
                    Hey Mitchel, I have a power conditioner as well (Belkin PureAV PF60) where I plug the cable box in, but not the interconnects (do you mean audio, RCA, interconnects?). They go directly from the cable box to the TV and not RC-1070. I did not use my RC-1070 for audio with my cable box, just from the DVD player and CD player. Do you mean plugging the coaxial cable from the Cable box to the power conditioner? Thanks!

Kevin: Yes the cables are all over my floor, and I was surprised to see two boxes when they installed it. I will probably give them another call, even though I hate to give them a hard time.

Comment

• thyname
                      • Jan 2005

It seems that I found a partial solution: I used my Belkin power conditioner and the hum is not that loud. It is still there but not as much, I could not hear it while sitting on the sofa and watching a movie, but I could hear it if I mute RC-1070, or if I am changing DVDs. HDTV works fine through Belkin line conditioner. What I did is run the coaxial cable from the cable splitter to Belkin Cable In jack and then another coaxial cable from Belkin Cable out jack to the TV. I am not fully satisfied though, still looking...

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"