Hmmm, cable opinions needed. Help me...I'm a HT noob.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cyberspyder
    • Apr 2008

Hmmm, cable opinions needed. Help me...I'm a HT noob.

Not sure which section to put this in....but it pertains to audio, so meh.

I currently have the following: Pioneer DV-515 DVD player, a cheap ass Magnasonic player for those pirated DVDs, a HTPC, a Pioneer Laserdisc/VCD player, a VCR and a NEC AV-300PRO receiver. What I want to do is hook everything up to my TV...problem is this:

What's this? Only two sets of component inputs? But I have 4 items that needs connecting (HTPC will be connected via VGA or HDMI)! The Pioneer and Magnasonic both support component, while the others only composite....would I need a switchbox for this? And depending on the HD box I get from Rogers...I may have to sacrifice another set of inputs, because only the highest end model supports HDMI...all others are component and analog.

Past this issue, there's also the question of what cables to use. I've seen people recommending Blue Jeans Cables...are they that good? Based on my needs would this be ideal?

-Belden 7787A Component Video Cable, 10 feet run (For connecting the HD box to the TV)
    -Belden 7787A Component Video Cable, 10 feet run (For connecting the TV to the switchbox)
    -Belden 7787A Component Video Cable, 1-2 feet runs (For connecting the switchbox to the DVD players)

Here's a SNAFU:

How would I connect the VCR and laserdisc player to the component inputs? They only have composite outputs. Would I have to route them up to the HD box, and then the HD box will stream it to the TV via. component?

Past the video issues...there's also the receiver. Currently, it has the following jacks available:

Good thing most of my gear is old by today's standards....Would I just hook up all the V/L/R outputs to it (including the L/R audio outs on the TV)?

Is the Video connection necessary?

Lastly...another SNAFU. Currently I'm using this receiver to power a set of Bose 2.1 *I GOT FOR FREE*...but obviously they suck. So I'm wondering if anyone has any luck in hooking up a subwoofer to the amp. The Bose Accoustimass ('sub') uses the left, center and front channel outputs on the amp, instead of a dedicated sub out...which I can't seem to find. Is there a sub amp/sub that offers the same sort of connection?

That's it for now, Brendan
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

There are simple switch boxes 1 to 4 probably component video. As to the other issues, I'm going to leave that to someone else at this point.

Cable wise, BJC is basically belden grade stuff. How good is that, let the buyer decide. Yeah, the prices are probably ok. The next issue you have, is being in Canada, shipping not cheap on component due to weight usually, and you'll likely have to pay some duties. Maybe local cheap component sets is better idea for you...
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"