X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • june
    • Feb 2005

S-video Cable

Hello All,

I when old school this week and hooked up my LAZERDISC player. I need a S-VIDEO cable. An reconmendations for a good s-video cable?

June
    June
    "IF YOU FAIL TO PLAN, YOU PLAN TO FAIL"
  • Kevin P
    • Aug 2000

Quadcat, from HTGuide's sponsor cable company: http://www.catcables.com/quadct.htm

But with laserdisc being a composite format, you may get better results with a regular composite video connection over S-video.

Comment

• june
      • Feb 2005

"Composite over s-video?" I thought s-video was a step up from composite video.

June
      June

Comment

• Lex
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Apr 2001

If the component has S-vid, it should be a step up over composite for sure.

I just built 2 Quadcats for a customer this week, get his input on Monday.

doug
        CATCables.com
        Doug
        "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Kevin P
          • Aug 2000

Theoretically it is, but if your source is intrinsically composite (e.g. analog TV, VHS, or laserdisc), a comb filter is used to separate the color from the luminance information. When you use a composite connection, the comb filter in your TV or projector is used. When you use S-video, a comb filter in your laserdisc player is used. In most cases, TVs have better comb filters than LD players, so you would indeed get a better picture via composite in this case. Your mileage may vary, however. If your LD player has a S-video output, I'd try each to see which gives you a better picture with your equipment.

For sources that are natively separated (DVD, for example), S-video is the better choice over composite.

Comment

• Lex
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Apr 2001

I guess I would have to see it to believe it, as someone that has never seen a good picture out of composite.
            Doug

Comment

• Kevin P
              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Lex
              I guess I would have to see it to believe it, as someone that has never seen a good picture out of composite.
              Have you ever had a LD player in your system? Normally S-video is preferred over composite, but LD being a composite format (that's what's recorded on the disc) is the odd exception. It all boils down to which component has the better color separator (comb filter). If your TV's filter is better, composite will look better for LD. If your LD player's filter is better, then S-video is the way to go.

Comment

• Lex
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Apr 2001

I never did laser disc, no.
                Doug

Comment

• june
                  • Feb 2005

Hello All,

The LD is for sound purposes only. I love the sound (DTS & DD) from LD than DVD. But the picture quality for DVD is much better. So I'll "CHOOSE MY PAIN!" The sound is more important than the picture quality. I'll try a better S-Video this weekend. Before I really got into this home theather thing, I only used cheap cables.

June
                  June

Comment

• wkhanna
                    Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Lex
                    If the component has S-vid, it should be a step up over composite for sure.

I just built 2 Quadcats for a customer this week, get his input on Monday.

doug
                    CATCables.com
                    I just received my first ever purchase from Doug at Cat Cables. 2 ea. of the one-meter S-video cables. He was very busy when I placed my order, yet they still arrived in less than a week!

I was, at one time, a manufacturing engineer at Zenith Inteq, a division of Zenth Corp. that made TEMPEST Grade computers (which featured EMF & EMI levels next to Zero) for the US State Dept. and US Air Force; where one of my responsibilities was the cable-assembly production line.

I’m thoroughly impressed with the look, materials, finish, and quality of workmanship.

I have just hooked up my first pre/pro (RSP-1066) using the new S-video cables; DVD< >pre/pro< >TV. I tried an AB using my original Mass Market ($45) cable running from the DVD to TV. The two Cat cables in combination with the pre/pro have slightly better PQ!

I’ll be replacing all my cables with Doug’s.
                    _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                    ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"