• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Aussie Geoff
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2003

RSX-1067 and RSP-1068 - Same Software as RSP-1098

Hi,

According to this link here http://www.audtek.com/whatsnew.htm on the RSX-1067 and RSP-1068:
    Rotel has included a bunch of features, first introduced in the RSP-1098, in all three of the new theater products:

· Set up software and features are now the same as found in the RSP-1098.

· Expanded flexibility in room set up and acoustics.

· Composite and S-video sources can be up-converted to component.

· New, more robust control protocols.

· Two extra channels of amplification on the RSX-1067.

· Audio delays for audio/video synching.

· Three assignable 12v triggers and a dedicated zone 2 trigger.
    In my view:
    • THis makes them dam desirable bargains
    • The RSP1098 wish list even more important to current and future Rotel Rotel users!

Geoff Costello
  • Scarp
    • Mar 2003

I.e., the 1068 is almost a 1098 without TFT.

Comment

• DrBoom
      • Dec 2003

they better start coming up with some wortwhile upgrades for the 1098 then, or nobody in their right mind is going to buy one.
      That is, if in fact the 1068 has the same soundquality.
      Nevertheless, if a slightly better soundquality and a TFT screen which nobody uses is going to be the only difference between a $3500 or an $1800 pre-amp, there sure are going to be a lot of unhappy RSP1098 owners out there.

Comment

• kneptune
        • Jan 2004

I concur with Dr. Boom, why would one want to pay double for very little additional functionality and a TFT screen -- $1700 would purchase a decent HDTV for that price – if the 1068 and 1098 offer the same potential.

Look at the Theta Casablanca, which over the years has had multiple improvements to both SW and HW, which has kept it going. There has even been new front face panel upgrades available. Realizing the Theta is more expensive, but the 1098 HW architecture is very similar. I was hoping at the time of my 1098 purchase, the RSP-1098 could be maintained at the forefront of pre-pro functionality, as I dislike buying, selling, re-buying a new pre-pro box every 18 months. My local dealer said that he heard of potential blue-tooth functionality with the 1098 to operate wirelessly from a PDA etc. New DAC upgrades, etc., could keep the 1098 current for a long time.

I guess only time will tell on what the long-range marketing plan is for the 1098. Too bad Rotel doesn't have a preferred customer club or some time of close marketing support with its customers, who could be contacted periodically for potential marketing input for future product changes. I would definitely has some input in that regard. I guess that is what this forum here is trying to do, admirably as I might add.

Parasound is having the same identity crisis with its C1 and C2 controllers. It appears that no one is buying the more expensive C1 with its TFT as the sonic capabilities are supposedly the same with the C2. Are we going to have this same issue with Rotel?

-Kevin

Comment

• gd
          • Jan 2003

I don't perceive any 'issue' myself. Seems as though the current Rotel line is complete as of now: the most current processing with 3 chassis choices (98, 68, 56/67). That they are not infinitely upgradeable is reflected in their pricing. which strikes me as reasonable. Infinite upgrading would necessitate a completely revamped architecture, much speculation on incoming new technology and substantial extra cost.

At this point in time, the combination of genuinely good audio and considerable upgradeability (say, Anthem) is simply going to cost you $3k. Add another $2k for a TFT. Infinite upgradeability moves you into the mortgage-level (Theta) to the insane (Meridian) price points... will the new, very upgradeable Onkyo / Integra units compete with Rotel sound quality? Doubtful (though that's a judgement call).

The TFT may indeed ultimately be a wrong turn, but I'll bet those who have them enjoy them. Otherwise, I'm pretty sure Rotel is doing it right... good audio first, right pricing, and a reasonable shelf life.
          greg (gd to you)
          Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
          production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

• DrBoom
            • Dec 2003

The benefit of the 1098 remains it's modular construction, which allows for at least some kind of hardware upgrade without tearing the whole thing apart.
            As to software updates, i've just come to realise that if the 1068 will indeed have the exact same software as the 1098, ALL software updates they can make on the 1098 can be made just as well on the 1068.
            In fact, they would have to make a ProLogic IIx update on the 1098 first to get it up to speed with the 1068.
            The only thing I wouldn't like about the 1068 is that it still requires you to turn on your TV/projector to make adjustments in the menu.
            I don't understand why you can adjust nearly everything on the display itself with most receivers, but not with this pre/pro.
            Thats a big benefit of the 1098 with the TFT, so at least we've got that going
            I wonder if they're also planning on making it modular based, and will be implementing stuff like the separate analog/digital transformer and the mains choke?

Comment

• Scarp
              • Mar 2003

Although the specs are not known yet, there is one major difference I think between the 1098 and its little sibling 1068. The 1098 has a different build up with sort of motherboard and extra boards. These boards have the potentional to be exchanged (not by the user itself as Rotel have already sais in the Q&A topic with them). This is something I don't think will be on the 1068.

Although their problem is that they have used up all positions already.

Btw, comparing to a theta is unfair, since its very much more expensive. A TagMclaren AV32 is closeby in pricing and if you had bought it years ago, you can still upgrade it to their topmodels and you will only pay the difference between the original price of your unit then and the model you upgrade to now. Would be the same as being able to upgrade your 1066 to a 1098 by Rotel putting the board in a new box, hooking up some extra boards and voila ... new machine.

Comment

• steveB
                • Mar 2003

Does anyone know how long Rotel will support software updates for the 1055/65/66??
                I was wondering if some of these enhancements will flow through to the superceded models

SteveB

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Oct 2003

Hi,

We should all remember that there is a lot more than firmware that affects the quality of sound. Things like the quality of the DACs, Op-Amps, Power supply etc. No one is saying that the 1068 sounds the same as the 1098. In fact if you look at Rotel's recent RDV-1040 and RDV-1050 announcements, what differentiated them from the seemingly identifical RDV-1060 was things like DAC quality.

Anyway - time will tell....

Geoff Costello

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"